Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Owen v Robbie Keane

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Michael Owen v Robbie Keane

Just something I picked up on last night while watching the Eng V Japan game and as a follow on of sorts to a previous thread. It is worth comparing the games/ goal scored of both players while playing for their countries.

Robbie - 51 Games 19 Goals

Michael - 54 Games 24 Goals

Not much difference really, although I do admit Owen is far more prolific in the Premier league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Owen has 25 goals now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    both excellent records. Owen is more of a natural goalscorer though Robbie has a bit more to his overall game IMO. Standing behind the goal Irealnd where attacking against Romania last week I just wished Robbie would crack one now and again rather than over elaborating. People like Shearer can do all this fancy crap but would rather score. Sometimes you wish Robbie didn't want to walk it into the net so often.

only1kilbane
    Record shows how well Robbie has done playing for a lesser side . Hopefully if Tottenham gets a decent manager in the summer they will be able to develop his game and encourage to shoot earlier and not have so many fancy touches

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I am a big fan of Keane but if you look at his goal scoring record in qualifying games it is not as good as it might be. This is off the top of my head so you you will understand if I'm not 100% accurate. In the qualifiers for Euro 2000 he scored 4 goals, 3 of which were against Malta, the other against Turkey in the play-off. For the 2002 WC he scored 2 goals, one against Holland the other against Iran, both big games I know but all I'm trying to do here is look at the stats. Finally the last campaign, 2 goals in games against Georgia and Albania respectively. He has 3 in the WC and the rest are all in friendlies.

Two goals in each of the last 2 campaigns is not a great return goal scoring wise. What he does have though that other forwards don't have is the ability to get something out of nothing and he will nearly always contribute something to the team even when playing poorly as his work rate is top notch. What it does show, especially in the context of the WC 2002 campaign is that we don't rely too heavily on our strikers and that we have (or at least we had then) goals all over our team. I don't want this post to be interpreted as Keane-bashing. All I am doing is outlining his goal scoring record in the context of his overall contribution to the team so that people can make up their own minds.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In comparing Owen and Keane you are comparing a very much overated player and a very much underated player.

Keane has far more to his game than Owen and when he is not scoring he contributes far more, in terms of holding up the ball and playing in team mates, than the Englishman (plus he can score a penalty).

And to top it off, Owen's goalscoring record is not that much better than Robbie's at any level, international or domestic. Owen managed 16 premiership goals this season, while Robbie managed 13.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Take it as a fair point Paulie. To be fair missed quite a few games in last qualifiers and had a tough time what with his dad dying and all. Did well at the world cup finals. 3 in 4 matches ain't too bad. Also got to look to his youth and lack of quality partners for lack of goals. I'm a massive Keane fan but wish he could be more clinical too. To be honet though Shearer was much the same in his early career with a fairly average scoring record. Came into his own at about Keane's age. Still don't think Robbie has even nearly reached his peak yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carnstien
    Owen managed 16 premiership goals this season.
    Just to take Robbie out of the argument for a second. If Owen was playing at club and international level with better players (remember he's partnered with Heskey at both) or with tactically better managers he'd score a lot more goals.

I think if you look at Owen's goal to chances ratio it would be quite high.

Given theior respective styles, the could well form a decent partnership (if a tiny one) with each other.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

only1kilbane
    Same can be said for Robbie though. Owen is playing for a team who have qualified for the champions league whereas robbie is with a struggling side. Again on International level Owen is playing with better players thus his scoring record should be that much better. Robbie has an excellent scoring record and the recent stick he is getting is not needed at all. Support the kid he is only 23 or else we will have the kevin gallen fans on for him to replace robbie !!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    [QUOTE=carnstien]In comparing Owen and Keane you are comparing a very much overated player and a very much underated player.

I know the thread title was about comparing the two but that was not my intention. I was just leaving Owen aside for a second and looking at Keane's record on it's own. As I said I'm a big fan of Keane but I think that in terms of qualifying games he should be scoring more goals.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by only1kilbane
    Robbie has an excellent scoring record and the recent stick he is getting is not needed at all. Support the kid he is only 23 or else we will have the kevin gallen fans on for him to replace robbie !!!!
    Well said. Heard a lot of people shout over the top abuse at Robbie during Romania game for over elaborating. This is frustrating i know but there is no need for the stick. He's 23 he's already eclipsing Ireland greats like Aldo, Quinner and Stapleton and he's our only world class striker. Robbie will continue to improve. I think people forget he's only a year or 2 older than the likes of Miller, Reid and Elliott.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Owen made his debut v Chile in February 1998
    Robbie made his debut v Czech Republic 25th of March 1998 and since Robbie is the best part of 7 months younger than Owen I think that Robbie has plenty time to eclipse the scouser poof!
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    I think that Robbie has plenty time to eclipse the scouser poof!
    Errrm... not that it matters, but isn't Owen married with a child? You may not like the man but using sexuality as a basis for slander is not on.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    You may not like the man but using sexuality as a basis for slander is not on.
    I wasn't referring to his sexual orientation, merely that he's a little girl.

Anyway that guy on Corrie got Sarah Louise pregnant and was going to marry her but he's gay!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Owen has 25 goals now.
    Thast should say "Owen has 25 goals now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    I wasn't referring to his sexual orientation, merely that he's a little girl.

Anyway that guy on Corrie got Sarah Louise pregnant and was going to marry her but he's gay!
    Ha Ha...well said. Owen is a mammy's boy from the same area as the hollyoaks types. His advert for that washing powder speaks for itself. Give us a break!!! 'Thanks Mum'...my arse
    There's only one keano, one keano
    Never eat yellow snow!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Paulie - I noticed you never seem to get the quotes right. It should be like this:

{QUOTE=username} {/QUOTE}

(replace the { with [ )

Anyway, back on topic. Robbie has twice as much work rate as Owen and I think Owen would really struggle in an average team. I thought Keane would have caught up with Owen in the goalscoring from the Poland matches to the Dutch but unfortunately that's impossible now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Two good players though Owen has to be the better of the two imo.

European player of the year in 2001,scored against all the big boys on the international scene,France,Argentina and Brazil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    That european player of teh year was a disgrace he never deserved it and Keane has

Scored against Germany, Spain, Yugoslavia, Czech Republic, Holland, which are pretty good teams too you know. Plus he has not played against italy or england and Brazil and Argentia were friendlies. Hopefully he will add France to his list this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    I thought Keane would have caught up with Owen in the goalscoring from the Poland matches to the Dutch but unfortunately that's impossible now.
    Why is it impossible?
    Owen will never score again!

*I fear I may have cursed him now and he'll be like The Magic Porridge Pot and never stop*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast