Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

No Anthony Gerrard for Ireland

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrosst...p?newsid=16024

Gerrard hit with paperwork problems

February 15, 2005

The budding Irish international career of Everton youth team star Anthony Gerrard looks to be dead in the water after he failed to unearth the necessary paperwork to prove his eligibility for Sean McCaffrey’s under-19 set-up.

Gerrard, the cousin of Liverpool and England star Steven, had appeared for Ireland in an invitational tournament last summer.

However, frantic efforts to prove his eligibility to attain an Irish passport have been in vain, with red tape surrounding the nationality of his grandmother preventing him from continuing to represent Ireland.

The 19-year-old, an adept central defender who was named in Everton’s Premiership squad for last Saturday’s clash with Chelsea, will not now be eligible to take his place in the Irish under-19 squad for the Uefa qualifiers against Serbia & Montenegro, Poland and Albania in April.

He told the Irish Sun: “It is very disappointing. I’ve been told I’m not eligible to play for Ireland because the documentation to do with my Nan can’t be found. I was under the impression that she was born in Ireland but we can’t get the paperwork and it means I won’t be able to play for the Irish now.”
    Last edited by SaucyJack; 15/02/2005 at 2:32 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaucyJack
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrosst...p?newsid=16024

Gerrard hit with paperwork problems

February 15, 2005

The budding Irish international career of Everton youth team star Anthony Gerrard looks to be dead in the water after he failed to unearth the necessary paperwork to prove his eligibility for Sean McCaffrey’s under-19 set-up.

Gerrard, the cousin of Liverpool and England star Steven, had appeared for Ireland in an invitational tournament last summer.

However, frantic efforts to prove his eligibility to attain an Irish passport have been in vain, with red tape surrounding the nationality of his grandmother preventing him from continuing to represent Ireland.

The 19-year-old, an adept central defender who was named in Everton’s Premiership squad for last Saturday’s clash with Chelsea, will not now be eligible to take his place in the Irish under-19 squad for the Uefa qualifiers against Serbia & Montenegro, Poland and Albania in April.

He told the Irish Sun: “It is very disappointing. I’ve been told I’m not eligible to play for Ireland because the documentation to do with my Nan can’t be found. I was under the impression that she was born in Ireland but we can’t get the paperwork and it means I won’t be able to play for the Irish now.”
    We're Ireland, not ROI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    One of "our" most promising centre half's down the drain. It'll keep the anti-3G heads happy though.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryPhelan
    We're Ireland, not ROI.
    No, Ireland is the whole island. The ROI is that part which is independent from Britain.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Crazy, a young fella makes his mind up which country he wants to play for, but paperwork fouls it up. Yet, the likes of Morrison, Butler and Holland can suddenly change their mind in the middle of their career

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    No, Ireland is the whole island. The ROI is that part which is independent from Britain.
    Does it bug anyone else that we're always referred to as simply "The Republic"? It's not just in the UK media, Emmet Malone and a few others in Ireland do it too.

Pity about Gerrard but it sounds as if his connection was a bit tenuous : " I could have sworn me nan was born in Ireland" or something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryPhelan
    We're Ireland, not ROI.
    There is no national team registered with FIFA or UEFA under the name "Ireland".
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    In USA '94 our official team name was "Ireland" wasn't it? All the merchandise, TV captions, scoreboards etc. all just said "Ireland".

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Crazy, a young fella makes his mind up which country he wants to play for, but paperwork fouls it up. Yet, the likes of Morrison, Butler and Holland can suddenly change their mind in the middle of their career
    Nothing crazy about it - Possibly wasn't eligible & couldn't prove otherwise. Wouldn't want another Cascarino now would we.............
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    Nothing crazy about it - Possibly wasn't eligible & couldn't prove otherwise. Wouldn't want another Cascarino now would we.............
    IMO Cascarino was more Irish than the likes of Morrison ever will be

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wouldn't want another Cascarino now would we.............
    Cascarino was always qulaified he just interpreted the legislation incorrectly

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Why? How? Because he had a career for Ireland spanning 2 decades with a few international tournaments thrown in, whereas as Clinton is only starting out?

I'm not in favour of players choosing their country for career purposes (a debate done to death - so no need to do it again) and Clint would fall in to that category - but so would Cascarino surely?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Why? How? Because he had a career for Ireland spanning 2 decades with a few international tournaments thrown in, whereas as Clinton is only starting out?

I'm not in favour of players choosing their country for career purposes (a debate done to death - so no need to do it again) and Clint would fall in to that category - but so would Cascarino surely?
    read his book. He grew up very conscious of his irishness, morisson has proved that he didn't.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ]

Why?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    read his book. He grew up very conscious of his irishness, morisson has proved that he didn't.
    Yeah, I've read it and I can't say that the book left me with that impression what so ever. Im happy for you to prove me wrong but I don't really recall anything in the book that spoke of his 'irishness' other than the FAI approaching him.

In fact listening to Cascarino on Talk Sport quite regularly his only ever references to his 'irishness' are limited to his time with the irish squad.

Just for the record I have a soft spot for big Cas (despite his useless perfromances in the hoops) as youngster his goal against England made me a very happy young chap additionally Im not Clinton's biggest fan at all, however I find the statement 'Cas is more of an Irishman than Clint will ever be' a bit ridiculous

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin77
    ]Why?
    There used to be a Cascarino's chip shop in Rathfarnham, run by his cousins.

Conclusive evidence if you ask me.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davros
    So,not a colour thing.......
    absolutely not.

Did Cascarino ever beg the England manager to pick him live on tv?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    absolutely not.

Did Cascarino ever beg the England manager to pick him live on tv?
    brilliant - I never heard that!! In all fairness though I doubt it was Cascarino's 'Irishness' that ensured he didn't make an ass of himself on tv also, more his lack of ability!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy
    I asked Clinton once about his qualification and he couldn't even tell me where his "nan" was from. Not even the county.
    At least he said hello to you though.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Check our constitution. The Nation of Ireland is the whole island, as represented by our happily less-politicised rugby team. However, the State of Ireland is the 26 counties, represented by the footy team. The name of the State, however, is 'Ireland'. There is no such entity as the Republic of Ireland or ROI.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast