Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diaspora Voting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Even though the company may be contributing more tax by getting foreign contracts and sending workers abroad than they would by not doing so?

I think people can contribute to a country in ways other than personal taxes, and such a member of the company, as well as aiding the company's (and consequently Ireland's) increased revenue, through demonstrating their own ability and that of their company, is in a small way advertising Ireland and its businesses in such a way that might see more foreign contracts granted to Irish companies in the future.

Similarly, people who work for agencies such as Tourism Ireland in a foreign office, and who work to promote Ireland as a tourist destination, are, in my view, definitely contributing to the country, albeit not through personal tax.

Im a perfect example of this. i work for a construction company that operates internationally, but HQ is in belfast. we would be a fairly upper mid-level player in the south, with a few notable joint projects with southern companies. the southern branch of the company pays a substantial amount of tax in the republic, as it is set up nearly as an independent business. however, i can get assigned to the south (and have been, most recently letterkenny) and still be paid through the belfast office. i also hold an irish passport and so am an irish citizen. i dont feel entitled to vote in southern elections. you could find a thousand different permutations of irish citizens in different jurisdictions, how do you legislate for it? where do you establish the cut off point for who can and cant vote amongst irish citizens abroad?
    i believe in one man, one vote. i should be that one man with that one vote.

ALWAYS ON TOUR!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shantykelly View Post
    you could find a thousand different permutations of irish citizens in different jurisdictions, how do you legislate for it? where do you establish the cut off point for who can and cant vote amongst irish citizens abroad?
    This is the whole question, isn't it? Establishing the cut-off point is the whole issue.

If the argument simply is that you must be resident in the state, then I've no problem with that.

But when the argument is that you must be contribute (which, for most on here, seems to mean paying tax, though as my post indicates, I take a broader point of view), or be affected by the results of an election, I think it's possible to come up with examples of where these two points aren't always limited to residency..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Maybe for multiple workers osarusan, not for one. One person, one vote. Would you like to give votes to the companies too? (Adam's Useless Facts #362: In the City of London, they actually do, via a representative of course.)

I think you're reading me a bit literally on the tax front. Many Irish residents don't pay tax, I wasn't suggesting that they're not entitled to a vote. But you knew that, of course...
    Last edited by dahamsta; 27/01/2011 at 3:01 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Can understand the non-taxpayer argument, though as someone said that's hardly a catch-all.
    And then the retired or unemployed don't vote?

But broadly agree with what's been said. Some sort of token representation should be made in the form of the Seanad and possibly Presidential elections, which is a figurehead every citizen should be entitled to have their say on.
    More importantly, some form of equivalence within the EU regarding voting rights of all non-resident citizens should be debated longer-term to remove the discrepancies highlighted above.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Can understand the non-taxpayer argument, though as someone said that's hardly a catch-all.
    And then the retired or unemployed don't vote?
    If you're resident you pay indirect taxes, like VAT. However, residency is the key, rather than tax payer imo. The Irish worker working abroad for an Irish Company, as highlighted above, doesn't have to live with the consequence of how a Government allocates resources. If they are abroad, they won't be stuck on an A&E trolley for days, for example, or send their children to an overcrowded portacabin school etc etc.
    Last edited by Macy; 27/01/2011 at 8:44 AM.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    It's perfectly fair. If you want a say in how the country is run, stay in the country and make a contribution to it.
    By that logic, we should strip anyone on the dole of the right to vote. Your attitude was well enough when times were good, but not with unemployment at current rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    If you're resident you pay indirect taxes, like VAT. However, residency is the key, rather than tax payer imo. The Irish worker working abroad for an Irish Company, as highlighted above, doesn't have to live with the consequence of how a Government allocates resources. If they are abroad, they won't be stuck on an A&E trolley for days, for example, or send their children to an overcrowded portacabin school etc etc.
    So we give the vote indiscriminately to resident non-citizens?

Also, if you think that someone who's had to leave the country temporarily for work doesn't have to deal with the consequences of the government's policies, you're dreaming.
    Last edited by John83; 27/01/2011 at 9:21 AM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    By that logic, we should strip anyone on the dole of the right to vote. Your attitude was well enough when times were good, but not with unemployment at current rates.
    Again, they pay indirect taxes and charges.

So we give the vote indiscriminately to resident non-citizens?
    I'm not sure either indiscrimnate, but I think residents who are citizens of other countries have more a case than the millions on non resident Irish citizens in terms of being disenfranchised. You could put residency rules to qualify for the vote, rather than it being indiscrimnate.

Also, if you think that someone who's had to leave the country temporarily for work doesn't have to deal with the consequences of the government's policies, you're dreaming.
    How do you define temporarily to give the vote? 6 month contract, 1 year contract, 2 year contract? Just a desire to come "home"? The only practical way of doing it, imo, is on residency.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Again, they pay indirect taxes and charges.
    Using money granted by the government. That's just circular. If I give you a fiver, and you give me a quid back, you'd be a bit cheeky to claim I owe you any say in how I spend the quid.

I'm not sure either indiscrimnate, but I think residents who are citizens of other countries have more a case than the millions on non resident Irish citizens in terms of being disenfranchised. You could put residency rules to qualify for the vote, rather than it being indiscrimnate.
    They have the right to vote in local and European elections (at least the EU citizens do) as it stands. Certainly, the degree to which they can vote, and the division of powers between local and national government is worth re-evaluating every now and then.

How do you define temporarily to give the vote? 6 month contract, 1 year contract, 2 year contract? Just a desire to come "home"? The only practical way of doing it, imo, is on residency.
    I don't care - have a debate and settle on a reasonable definition: resident in the past 3 years, paid income tax here at least one year in the last five, left the country in the last 18 months - whatever, just have the debate. That it's unclear is not reason enough to disenfranchise those people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Interesting thread, especially the contributions from current or ex-NI residents.

The Seanad and President votes could be a good symbolic way of widening the franchise, which makes the possible abolition of one and uncontested shoo-in for the other all a bit disappointing.

Ex-senator Sam McAughtry is from the same street as me in Belfast, my mother was at school with him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Lads, ye've gone on to nitpicking about who in Ireland can vote now, despite the fact that ye know damn well who is and isn't entitled anyway.

Please get back to the subject of the diaspora.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Just to clarify, I think all citizens including in the disapora should have a vote for the Seanad and President. Wouldn't include me personally as I have not registered as a citizen of the Republic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    729 Posts
    Lads, ye've gone on to nitpicking about who in Ireland can vote now, despite the fact that ye know damn well who is and isn't entitled anyway.

You're the one who made this about paying tax. We're just exploring the logical consequences of that. Every post but one after yours mentions the diaspora, and that one is about the related question of Northern Irish citizens.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    You're the one who made this about paying tax.
    http://foot.ie/threads/146491-Diaspo...=1#post1445145

Every post after mine mentions the diaspora, but many of them are focussing on the domestic vote. The topic is the diaspora. Again, back on topic please.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Whose chances of voting, you've gone on to ridicule at every opportunity.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    just to clarify, what is your definition of diaspora? i know its often used to comment on/discuss the numerous people of Irish descent around the world, but to be clear, I only refer to those born here in Ireland and currently work/live abroad.
    i believe in one man, one vote. i should be that one man with that one vote.

ALWAYS ON TOUR!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Look lads, the country's broke.

€500 and you get to vote in a constituency of your own choice, no questions asked.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Look lads, the country's broke.

€500 and you get to vote in a constituency of your own choice, no questions asked.
    If I buy a vote for €500, would FF be willing to pay €600 for it yet?
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...289832570.html
    Brother is running to give emigrants the vote.

link to manifesto is in bottom post below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=70640593

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    BallotBox.ie, which has been getting lots of media coverage, goes live today, so any family or friends abroad can cast a symbolic vote.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123