Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Students abroad

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts

Students abroad

Two curious coincidences with a couple of our former players. Both Sammo and Gary Dicker have been handed the number 18 jersey this season. Sammo was brought on today as a late sub as Kilmarnock chased a draw (in vain) in Ibrox, while Dicker came on as a sub for Radostin Kishishev in their first game, but has started since.

The second coincidence was in the League Cup in midweek, when Brighton lost 2-0 to Northampton. For the last 15 minutes, both Gary Dicker and Tadhg Purcell were playing on opposing sides. I wonder if two former UCD players have ever met in similar circumstances before?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Two curious coincidences with a couple of our former players. Both Sammo and Gary Dicker have been handed the number 18 jersey this season. Sammo was brought on today as a late sub as Kilmarnock chased a draw (in vain) in Ibrox, while Dicker came on as a sub for Radostin Kishishev in their first game, but has started since.

The second coincidence was in the League Cup in midweek, when Brighton lost 2-0 to Northampton. For the last 15 minutes, both Gary Dicker and Tadhg Purcell were playing on opposing sides. I wonder if two former UCD players have ever met in similar circumstances before?
    I honestly didnt know that Tadhg Purcell played for ye lot.. did he play much for ye??
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Nah; only made the bench three times I think. Never actually played first-team football.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Sammo scored again at the weekend; seven goals this season now.

Took this from the Brighton forum, as they storm to the top of Division Two -

Dicker is absolute perfection in a 4-5-1. That really frees up him to do what he does best. I have been following Albion since 1988 and I can only remember a handful of players with the grace, composure and passing range that Dicker possesses. An absolute joy to watch.

Sadly, this being England, there are still many Brighton fans who fail to appreciate him - primarily because he didn't hare around like a lunatic launching people five foot in the air, or score 15 a season.

Those who understand football recognise what Dicker brings to the side, and it doesn't involve looking at the assists column every week to see who played the final pass before the ball was kicked in the goal.

Gem of a player.
    High praise. But I prefer this post -

Dicker is the player George O'Callaghan ought to be, if he wasn't a ****nut.

You wonder if they keep on their current trajectory if there's any chance of an Ireland call-up down the line? Sammo in particular strikes me as quite the Trap-style player; bit like Caleb Folan. Imagine going to Russia next September and Sammo gets thrown on to salvage something!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    And yet he's still not the finished article.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    722 Posts
    You wonder if they keep on their current trajectory if there's any chance of an Ireland call-up down the line? Sammo in particular strikes me as quite the Trap-style player; bit like Caleb Folan. Imagine going to Russia next September and Sammo gets thrown on to salvage something!
    ... seconds to go in injury time, scores level, Kilbane launches a hail mary pass at Sammo, who leaps directly under the highest point on the bounce and misses the ball entirely...

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Tee hee. I think Killie may have taught him to head the ball though.

On a completely unrelated topic, anyone up for a road trip over the pre-season? AS - keep an eye on any Brighton v Palace Cup ties. And do Killie have any derbies?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Christ I'd only do Palace-Brighton if it's in London. Not going to another desolate English town that I know nothing about for a good while after last weekend.

If I do a Scottish one it'll be a Northeast one, either a Dundee derby in the Scottish Cup or New Firm, as in AFC vs DUtd
    Last edited by Aberdonian Stu; 04/11/2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: grammar and puntuation
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    How can you know nothing about Brighton? One of the most iconic towns in England.

We are the mods! We are the mods! We are we are we are the mods!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Tee hee. I think Killie may have taught him to head the ball though.
    He still can't head the ball.

And do Killie have any derbies?
    The Ayrshire derby with Ayr United. Doesn't happen very often with them having been divisions apart for over a decade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    He still can't head the ball.
    Scored a superb glancing header against Hamilton Accies last night; second of a brace. Ten for the season now. Going to have to head over in pre-season.