Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Norway - Wednesday, 17th November 2010 - Friendly

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Posting a link ain't stealing, it's not even resting in his account.

Pirates are a sensitive lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I don't concur with the praise for Josh at CH. He did not command his area and looked at times to be back to his best Bambi impersonations.
    He is better with Dunne, a player who will take decisive control. I think we are up shíts creek, should Dunne be injured again.
    Really?

Given that it was a totally new back four, and he was partnered by our weakest link on the night, I thought JOSH had a very good game and was our best defensive player on the night. Did you not notice that it was JOSH's harrying and pass that set up the penalty? It was JOSH that was made himself available for balls off the full backs and from our central midfielders. Look at how commanding and decisive JOSH was in those situations in comparison to O'Dea who simply didn't want the ball at his feet. It was the smart balls played by JOSH that were the reason behind our dominance in the first 20 minutes of so of the game, until Norway were forced to change their gameplan to counteract his influence (all of our best chances in that period of play were set in motion by JOSH). Yes he did play a few sloppy balls on occasion but I'd take more positive from the fact that he was willing to be creative on the ball rather than be negative when those balls don't work out. We're used to our centre halves launching aimless long balls out of defence so I wouldn't be critical of a player that tries to be constructive with those balls.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    How many typed "JOSH"s was it before you creamed yerself?! I'm guessing it was the one just before "Yes he did play a few sloppy balls"

I notice you did believe mcgeady played well too though. So your point about guys getting on the ball whether or not it works out is consistent. I can see the point, but I'm not sure if I'd completely agree.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 19/11/2010 at 9:22 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    How many typed "JOSH"s was it before you creamed yerself?! I'm guessing it was the one just before "Yes he did play a few sloppy balls"
    Are you trying to harry me paul_oshea?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I notice you did believe mcgeady played well too though. So your point about guys getting on the ball whether or not it works out is consistent. I can see the point, but I'm not sure if I'd completely agree.
    I saw signs of improvement but still believe he takes too much out of the ball and I wouldn't start him in a competitive international.

Yes. I'd encourage players to get on the ball and use it constructively. McGeady does like to get on the ball but he does not necessarily use the ball constructively.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Really?

Given that it was a totally new back four, and he was partnered by our weakest link on the night, I thought JOSH had a very good game and was our best defensive player on the night. Did you not notice that it was JOSH's harrying and pass that set up the penalty? It was JOSH that was made himself available for balls off the full backs and from our central midfielders. Look at how commanding and decisive JOSH was in those situations in comparison to O'Dea who simply didn't want the ball at his feet. It was the smart balls played by JOSH that were the reason behind our dominance in the first 20 minutes of so of the game, until Norway were forced to change their gameplan to counteract his influence (all of our best chances in that period of play were set in motion by JOSH). Yes he did play a few sloppy balls on occasion but I'd take more positive from the fact that he was willing to be creative on the ball rather than be negative when those balls don't work out. We're used to our centre halves launching aimless long balls out of defence so I wouldn't be critical of a player that tries to be constructive with those balls.
    Yep, Josh was more than decent at times with his distribution and certainly played a big part in our goal. One could be cruel and say that was offset by his wasteful long punt which played a part in conceding the late goal but I will ignore that as well as ignore when conceding late goals against the Czechs, Italians - Josh was there giving the ball away. I am mainly looking at his role as the senior CH with a rookie like O'Dea. In the few incidents that did occur around the penalty area, he was not commanding. See how he tried to weakly block Huseklepp twice in the first half as if he was afraid to get hit by the ball. Against the few counter attacks he looked at sea. The main CH should be a force of gravity for the ball. It's not that he played badly but he does not impose himself as the main man and lead the back 4 line. St Ledger does not have Josh's ability but at least he is gritty and decisive under pressure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Fair enough comments there, but the old Irish self-loathing pops up in the "what the ref deemed a penalty" comment. It was a nailed on, slam-dunk penalty, albeit an unnecessary one. Why do we have to be so apologetic about being awarded a penalty?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Anybody else think that O'Shea should be used as a holding midfielder. When used there this season at Utd, and on Wednesday night, his ability to attack quickly is impressive. He unnerved the Norwegian defence and set up Long leading to the penalty. With his defensive skills he could help galvanise the defence and hopefully stop the sloppy goals we continue to concede. Kelly can then cover at right back.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    4-1-4-1? I think he could do it, but I like him as a CB with Dunne and think Wilson is probably the best man to be that "1".

I thought JOS was fine on Weds, given the context. Other Man U players wouldn't have even made the trip in times gone past. In a proper competitive game he comes to the fore. He made a great goal saving header in Slovakia for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Anybody else think that O'Shea should be used as a holding midfielder.
    Any time I've seen him play midfield for club or country I've come away on the wrong side of impressed. Probably best to leave well alone in this instance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Bumping thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Closed thread.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526