Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Conor Lenihan -(Christian) Science Minister

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Conor Lenihan -(Christian) Science Minister

Just when you think a senior government party can't be any worse, can't be any more saturated with abject gob****es, can't possibly enhance ranks that include a former health minister that drove blind drunk up the wrong side of a motorway, a TD for Cork who openly admits he feels no compulsion or need to represent areas of his constituency that don't vote for him in sufficient number, a former finance minister and taoiseach who'd like us to believe he didn't have a bank account and a current health minister who surely weighs as much as that lot combined ...we get Conor Lenihan -who already had a seriously blotted copybook for describing exploited Turkish GAMA employees as 'Kebabs' while holding the office of minister for overseas aid and development.

Conor, now our science minister, will lend the weight of his office and profile to the launch of his mates book on the wonders of Creationism and Intelligent Design. I'm not even naming book or author as I'm not of a mind to give the fantacist any plugs. Link below.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking61.html
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    There's an angry thread or six on boards about it:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056030584 [Atheists & Agnostics]
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056030782 [After Hours]
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056030601 [Politics]

The sad thing is Lenihan will just squirm in the limelight for a few days and then go on as if nothing has ever happened.
    Last edited by John83; 13/09/2010 at 10:48 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    So Fredo thought "Christian" and "Scientist", hmm that'll keep the religious right vote happy whilst doing my bit for the knowledge economy; it's a win win.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I know that "liberals" will see creationism as a crock of.....however people are allowed to discuss, propagate and believe in it, so long as they don't push it down others throats. Being liberal means you tolerate such people, though when our time comes we'd want to hope that what they were spouting was a crock of....

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I know that "liberals" will see creationism as a crock of.....however people are allowed to discuss, propagate and believe in it, so long as they don't push it down others throats. Being liberal means you tolerate such people, though when our time comes we'd want to hope that what they were spouting was a crock of....
    I've no problem with nutjobs being allowed to "discuss, propogate and believe in nonsense". However, I do have a problem with our Minister for Science, Technology, Innovation and Natural Resources endorsing views that are totally contradictory to science. At a time that the Government keep banging on about the feckin knowledge economy, ffs.

Are we on the road to an attempt to get this crap on the schools curriculum? I wouldn't bet against it given we've Opus Dei at the cabinet table, and a total unwillingness to seperate church doctrination and schools as it is.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...278831472.html

MINISTER FOR Science Conor Lenihan will not now launch a book in Dublin which describes evolution as a fantasy and a hoax, after the author asked him to withdraw in the wake of controversy on the web.
    But Mr May said last night he had asked Mr Lenihan not to launch the book “because I am so embarrassed that the Minister for Science has been so insulted” and “eviscerated” on a political website. “He doesn’t even believe in my central argument,” the author said.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    Holy Christ (or other such character according to your beliefs).

Quote Originally Posted by Nutjob
    7 Reasons Why I Detest and Reject Evolution

1: It teaches us to be satisfied with - not understanding origins.

2: It promotes the dangerous nonsense of no first cause - no supreme scientist and suggests order came from disorder.

3: It is a mataphysical speculation, a doctrine dressed up in scientific garb.

4: Anyone who teaches evolution is either ignorant or deliberately suppressing the known scientific facts.

5: It is a toxic poisonous mind virus which destroys the hearts immune system against hope and common sense.

6: It is an anaesthetic against reason.

7: It cripples sanity, promotes myths, obscures reality and elevates matter above a maker.
    (Quote taken from the third of those board threads). To simply state these with - I can only assume, evolution not having been disproven as yet - absolutely no solid back-up beggars belief. Number 4 is I think the worst (known scientific facts?!), while number 5 would make Daily Mail sub-editors cringe.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 14/09/2010 at 8:56 AM. Reason: Correcting Nutjob's typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Heard him on the radio this morning ...which is the worst part of it. Completely free ride on the airwaves for this nonsense all day I'll bet. I wonder if Joe Duffy'll have the Knock Basillica massif or the Rathkeale stump-starers on stickin up for him. My loss I'll be nowhere near a radio I darsay.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Given Lenihan has the likes of Mattie McGrath and the Healy-Raes sitting beside him on the Government benches I can see why he's dubious about evolution...

12. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Given Lenihan has the likes of Mattie McGrath and the Healy-Raes sitting beside him on the Government benches I can see why he's dubious about evolution...
    Don't agree. All that proves is that it can go backwards instead of forwards.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Actually I'd have thought that with those morons beside him, not to mention the cretins in their coalition of the spineless he'd have given Intelligent Design a knock on the head! If people are meant to be in God's image - what the hell explains the Healy Raes and John Gormley?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Conor, now our science minister, will lend the weight of his office and profile to the launch of his mates book on the wonders of Creationism and Intelligent Design. I'm not even naming book or author as I'm not of a mind to give the fantacist any plugs. Link below.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking61.html
    You really couldn't make this one up. Its like a classic story line from the Simpsons!!!
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Sounds like the Creeping Jesuses are beside the Creepy Crawlies.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

18. Thanks From: