Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will win the Airtricity Premier league?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Who will win the Airtricity Premier league?

We are now heading into the final phase of games, 9 to go for most.

I feel last nights result knocks us out of the running but im still hoping we can nick a European place.

So who will win it and who will finish where?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,263 Posts
    Rovers to win. They're in great form (25 points from 27 apparently) and have a five point gap with nine games to go, which is reasonably big. Means they can lose and draw a game, and Pat's or Bohs still have to win every game just to draw level.

I think second is between Pat's and Sligo. It seems to me (and I'm not exactly proefefssing to be an expert on Bohs on the pitch ) that Bohs have dipped a lot since losing to TNS. Yes, they've won three in a row, but against Bray, Drogheda and Dundalk, and narrowly enough. Sligo are on great form by contrast, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them pass Bohs out. Fingal still look more interested in their pay packets than a title chase; hard to beat, yes, but not enough of a killer touch.

So I reckon -

Rovers
    Pat's
    Sligo
    Bohs
    Fungus
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 24/08/2010 at 2:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Rovers have it in the bag I think. Sligo will get 2nd.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Don't think it's quite wrapped up for Rovers, to me their confidence still looks a bit fragile. Against UCD they started well and were knocking it about but they made a few errors and got very panicky for a period before and after the UCD goal. It was arguably a fluke from Dennehey that settled them down again. If they were to drop a few points I don't think they have enough belief in their ability to play football to not resort to going direct and if they do that they'll drop even more points, they're a much better side when they pass it on the deck. Bohs are building a bit of momentum, even if not playing too well, and are capable of taking at least 24/27 points if they can keep it up, if they beat Rovers in Dalymount on a run like that then the pressure would be immense.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Rovers to win. They're in great form (25 points from 27 apparently) and have a five point gap with nine games to go, which is reasonably big. Means they can lose and draw a game, and Pat's still have to win every game just to draw level.

I think second is between Pat's and Sligo. It seems to me (and I'm not exactly proefssing to be an expert on Bohs on the pitch ) that they've dipped a lot since losing to TNS. Yes, they've won three in a row, but against Bray, Drogheda and Dundalk, and narrowly enough. Sligo are on great form by contrast, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them pass Bohs out. Fingal still look more interested in their pay packets than a title chase; hard to beat, yes, but not enough of a killer touch.

So I reckon -

Rovers
    Pat's
    Sligo
    Bohs
    Fungus
    Agree with killer instinct part as we have been the better team in a lot of games and lost or drew them. I dont think it has anything to do with pay packet though. If you run through our first eleven and beyond there really isnt any players that could be acussed of not trying for the club. So it really has nothing to do with that. A lack of decent finishing is the problem and some stupid mistakes at the back. All the lads we have brought in this season have been great. Not one of them hasnt given it 100%, We just fell short thats all. Maybe we have too many young lads in the team which sometimes means we fail to see out games. Anyway, its been a good season so far and iv enjoyed some great games watching Fingal this year.

I do feel it will be hard to finish above Sligo this year as they have been great in the last few months but I am always hopeful.
    Last edited by Lamper.sffc; 24/08/2010 at 2:31 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamper.sffc View Post
    I dont think it has anything to do with pay packet though. If you run through our first eleven and beyond there really isnt any players that could be acussed of not trying for the club.
    I missed our win in Morton, but the last half hour in the Bowl was the first time I'd ever seen Fingal come out and play. Every other game between us, they players have been lethargic way beyond their abilities, particularly in the First Division and - not hugely surprisingly, I thought - against Mervue in the Cup. Fingal aren't the sum of their parts for me, by a distance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,652 Posts
    Shamwow Rovers should win it.

I think Pats are fading off and we are simply unpredictable (at best). We could go on a run and beat Rovers and Pats in the next series (which would put us seriously back in the hunt) but it just doesnt seem likely with the motley crew that Nutsy assembled this year and the strange decisions he has made in team selection. Id like to think we can get 2nd place but i wouldnt be surprised if we didnt. I like Pats and Sligo and hope they do well but id prefer if we could take second ahead of them both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I missed our win in Morton, but the last half hour in the Bowl was the first time I'd ever seen Fingal come out and play. Every other game between us, they players have been lethargic way beyond their abilities, particularly in the First Division and - not hugely surprisingly, I thought - against Mervue in the Cup. Fingal aren't the sum of their parts for me, by a distance.
    Its the first time iv seen us play that well against yous also. UCD have been our bogey team since the start of last season. Every team tends to have one, Just ask Rovers fans about us .
    We have been great in some games and not so in others. Like a lot of teams.
    You should have seen some of the football last night from us, great to watch.
    It is frustrating at times to see us play some of the best football in the league and still fall short in some games but I think this is down to younger players, naivety and tactics. We tend to try and defend 1 nil leads when its quite obvious we are well on top and should go for the second to kill the game off. I think it has been only 5 or 6 games we have not taken the lead in this year but ultimately we concede the equaliser. This to me shows naivety and nothing to do with pay packets imo. just one fans opinion, but I have seen plenty of the team this year to have a fairly good idea of where we are going right and wrong.
    Last edited by Lamper.sffc; 24/08/2010 at 2:47 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Rovers to win. They're in great form (25 points from 27 apparently) and have a five point gap with nine games to go, which is reasonably big. Means they can lose and draw a game, and Pat's or Bohs still have to win every game just to draw level.

I think second is between Pat's and Sligo. It seems to me (and I'm not exactly proefefssing to be an expert on Bohs on the pitch ) that Bohs have dipped a lot since losing to TNS. Yes, they've won three in a row, but against Bray, Drogheda and Dundalk, and narrowly enough. Sligo are on great form by contrast, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them pass Bohs out. Fingal still look more interested in their pay packets than a title chase; hard to beat, yes, but not enough of a killer touch.

So I reckon -

Rovers
    Pat's
    Sligo
    Bohs
    Fungus

Bray to stay up and drogheda to go down
    Fixed that for you stu :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I think Pats are fading off and we are simply unpredictable (at best)..

Are you basing that solely on the defeat to Bray? Have St Pats even been outside the top 2 all season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Rovers have it. They have the momentum.

As someone else mentioned Pats are unpredictable. Bohs are falling apart and Fingal are also unpredictable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Shamwow Rovers should win it.

I think Pats are fading off and we are simply unpredictable (at best). We could go on a run and beat Rovers and Pats in the next series (which would put us seriously back in the hunt) but it just doesnt seem likely with the motley crew that Nutsy assembled this year and the strange decisions he has made in team selection. Id like to think we can get 2nd place but i wouldnt be surprised if we didnt. I like Pats and Sligo and hope they do well but id prefer if we could take second ahead of them both.
    I dont know. I was starting to think that before last nights game, but we played really well last night and they still beat us. They are a tough little team to beat. In last nights game they seemed content to keep it tight and hit us on the break but a soon as they went behind they showed they can up it and put us under a fair bit of pressure and got 2-1 ahead. We came back and equalised and then they came again when it looked more likely we would get the win. There is a lot of fight in that team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4Ever View Post
    Are you basing that solely on the defeat to Bray? Have St Pats even been outside the top 2 all season?
    hey im not trying to offend anyone - i just think they are beginning to slow down.

Plus, if i say it enough it might start to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Rovers for me.

And just to add we will get off the bottom and be replaced by drogheda and also win the playoff to stay up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    hey im not trying to offend anyone - i just think they are beginning to slow down.

Plus, if i say it enough it might start to happen.
    didnt look like it last night, i think we will be ok, as soon as ours injuries come back

think rovers have an advantage playing tricky games at 'home'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    I hope Pats can pull it off tbh.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Think Stu summed it up. It's Rovers to lose and it will take an implosion bigger than last years for that to happen.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    Think Stu summed it up. It's Rovers to lose and it will take an implosion bigger than last years for that to happen.
    We lost 1 league game in 27. Some implosion. We lost the league because of how we started not how we finished no matter what way you try to spin it.
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1 View Post
    We lost 1 league game in 27. Some implosion. We lost the league because of how we started not how we finished no matter what way you try to spin it.
    you lost the league no matter what spin you put on it!!!!

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maseanjo View Post
    More concerned with more lowly matters but as a Man U fan who is often been subjected to abuse by ABU's I'm afraid my dislike of Pat means I've betrayed my principles and become an ABB - Go the Rovers!
    what about St. Nutsy's Athletic.... oh wait, i see....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast