Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Euro 2012 qualifying thread

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,255 Posts

Euro 2012 qualifying thread

Only saw this after the event, but the qualifying started last night. Brian Kerr's Faroe Islands went to Estonia, were 1-0 up for over an hour before conceding two 90th minute goals. Sickening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I watched most of the second half while waiting for the Welsh game to start. Surprised when I got back to see that Estonia had won, because it looked as though the Faroes were comfortable enough.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Spain were demolished tonight by the Portugese it finshed 4-0 but could easily have been 6.

Fairplay to them for beating Lichtenstein and Lithuania and edging Scotland, these are all top class teams. But they have shipped a worrying amount of goals in the games since Joburg

Mexico 1:1 Spain
    L'stein 0:4 Spain
    Argentina 4:1 Spain
    Spain 3:1 Lithuania
    Scotland 2:3 Spain
    Portgual 4:0 Spain

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    They're a team that's passed its peak. I would argue that they peaked in 2008, but still had enough to grind out the World Cup win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    They are the greatest international side I have seen. France 98-00 would be the only team to come close, but I'd give Spain the nod for their ability to retain the ball for such long periods. They kept 5 clean sheets in 7 WC matches, and their defence is supposed to be their weak link. Says it all. Totally controlled the semi final against Germany, who had blown England and Argentina away.

Don't think this mini WC hangover will be much of an issue come the Euros, but the results are very surprising.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Well I think West Germany in 1990, France in 2000 and Yugoslavia in 1989-91 were better but the game has changed a lot since those days so maybe it's hard to compare.

I wonder what odds you would get for Spain to become the first winners not to sucessfully qualify for the next world cup (Brazil 2014).

Here are their starting XIs for those games btw:

vs. Argentina
    23 Pepe Reina
    3 Gerard Pique
    4 Carlos Marchena
    2 Nacho Monreal
    17 Alvaro Arbeloa
    14 Xabi Alonso
    16 Buskets
    7 David Villa
    10 Cesc Fabregas
    6 Andreas Iniesta
    21 David Silva

vs. Portgual
    1 Iker Casillas
    5 Carlos Puyol
    3 Gerard Pique
    11 Joan Capdevila
    15 Sergio Ramos
    16 Buskets
    14 Xabi Alonso
    8 Xavi
    6 Andreas Iniesta
    7 David Villa
    21 David Silva

It looks to me that teams have figured out there is a very brittle veneer to this team, and if you don't play into their hands (by stifling as the Paraguayans did, or by sucking their midfield into your half and then bypassing it as the Argentines and Portuguese did) you can overcome them.
    Last edited by Closed Account 2; 18/11/2010 at 1:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah, the line ups are very stong. Still though, friendlies are friendlies. On the subject, did you see Nani depriving Ronaldo a bit of a wonder goal in the game? Can't access it at work but if anybody wants to see it, just type 'Nani denies Ronaldo' into YouTube.

I'd imagine you'd get fairly serious odds on Spain not qualifying for any tournament. Didn't see any of that Yugoslav team really, but they must have been pretty decent to top that famous qualifying group containing Denmark. I remember watching Red Star win the European Cup alright, in a truly awful final.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/88/sp...medium=twitter

Look at the strop on Ronaldo when he realises - Great player but want an absolute cnut of a guy. Theres no "I" in Team Cristiano...... :-)
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Look at the strop on Ronaldo when he realises - Great player but want an absolute cnut of a guy. Theres no "I" in Team Cristiano...... :-)
    That's harsh, he's just p!ssed off because his team are denied a goal. I don't think he's bothered who takes the glory.
    I joke, I joke!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Yeah I saw that, like I say it was a pretty comprehensive victory.... would have been a sensational goal alright!! Not sure if (a) Nani was offside - Pique (slid at the bottom of the screen) might have been playing him on or (b) had the ball crossed the line when Nani headed it ?

I think Spain should make the Euros (they only have the Scots and Czechs to contend with and the latter have already slipped up to the Lithuanians 1-0 at home), but if they get a harder draw - say with the likes of Croatia / Serbia / Switzerland they could slip up in qualification for 2014.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah, the ball looked over the line to me. Not sure about the offside, thought it was but didn't take much notice. Just going back a bit, I'm not entirely sure what you meant by this...

Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    by sucking their midfield into your half and then bypassing it as the Argentines and Portuguese did) you can overcome them.
    Are you talking long balls over the top or swift counter attacks? (or neither?!) I think they are very difficult to counter attack against because they rarely leave themselves completely exposed by throwing eveything into an attack. It's a far more measured process where they either hold their positions or fill in for each other. This is when they are playing well obviously. I think (open to correction as he may have come on in the Argentina match?) Xavi was only on the pitch for one of those eight goals conceded, he really is their key man. Fabregas, as good as he is, has a long way to go before eventually filling his boots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/88/sp...medium=twitter

I'm no fan of Ronaldo but it was Nani who was being selfish there. The ball was going in and his glory hunting cost them a goal.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Yeah, I don't disagree but come on, that strop, what a tw@t
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Yeah, I don't disagree but come on, that strop, what a tw@t
    I can't argue with that!
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Are you talking long balls over the top or swift counter attacks? (or neither?!)
    Swift counter attacks, that's pretty much what the Portuguese did, running at the empty Spanish midfield. The Germans didn't really have that outlet as Müller was suspended for the semi final. Argentina did the same with Banega releasing Teves or Messi.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Xavi was only on the pitch for one of those eight goals conceded, he really is their key man. Fabregas, as good as he is, has a long way to go before eventually filling his boots.
    He was on in the second half in Buenos Aires, actually he didn't close down the Argentine midfielder (can't remember which one, might have been Cambiasso) who then hit it out to Heinze who crossed it for Agüero