Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Home Energy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts

Home Energy

We're with Airtricity for both gas and electricity. We're nearing the end of the contract. Looking to see what options are available. Anyone changed recently or willing to offer advice?
    We'd previously been with Bord Gais and ESB, but moved to try and save money. We made proper inroads into consumption and being quite regulated. But even taking into account price hikes, we don't feel the "savings" have carried through, nor were we enamoured with their customer service.

I don't think there are too many options open to us, but would love to hear of any solutions footiers might have?

Finally, solar panels - are they worth it? Plenty of brochures from companies offering installation, and while I'm all for the concept of storing our own energy, how much of a difference does it make?
    Thanks in advance.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    503 Posts
    I've been through all 3 now. I was very happy with the ESB's customer service but couldn't justify paying the regulated pricing, so I moved to Airtricity, who I hated. If they diverted half the money they spend on marketing towards customer service, they might have a clue. They could also tell their marketing people to stop lying. (Airtricity electricty is the same as everyone else's electricity. The only green element is the energy they feed IN to the grid. Which all vendors use.)

For that reason I moved to Bord Gais, and tbh the only problem I had with them is that their online billing was crap, and wouldn't let you download a proper invoice. They fixed it in the end, but it took some time and several complaints on my part.

I moved to "ESB Electric Ireland" recently, however the very first communication I had from them was a newsletter that I didn't ask for, and my email to them telling them to cop on went ignored until I complained about the next one. Their response was that their Ts&Cs say they can do that, so I asked the Data Protection Commissioner to tell them that no, they can't.

With all of that in mind, I'll be going back to Bord Gais if - when - ESB put their prices up.

Solar panels are getting more affordable, but it can still be a significant investment. If it was me, I'd wait until feed-back (to the grid, that is) rates are set properly, and at a good level. AFAIK they haven't even been set yet, and the rates being mooted are crap.

Solar collectors are another matter entirely, they're relatively cheap, easy to install, and essentially give you free hot water. Just make sure you shop around, most of the installers are building grant aid into the price to boost their profits.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 26/09/2011 at 7:26 PM.

3. Thanks From: