Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up County 2 Ramblers 1

KILDARE COUNTY 2

COBH RAMBLERS 1

KILDARE COUNTY went top of the First Division with a hard fought win over pointless Cobh in Newbridge last night.

Two goals in as many minutes had County in the ascendancy early on. The first arrived on twelve minutes as Barry O'Connor got on the end of a Martin Reilly cross, floating a header past Peter Cuthbert. The Cobh number one was again left as a spectator minutes later; this time Shane Harte crashed home a 25-yard drive with the outside of his right boot for one of the early goals of the season.

Ramblers gave themselves a lifeline deep in stoppage time. Good work by Tony Tynan led to a cross, which was easily turned home by Robert Brosnan from close range.

Kildare County: O'Leary, O'Brien, Cronin, Kenny, P Byrne, A Byrne, Harte, Griffin, M Reilly, O'Connor, McNevin (Kelly 69).

Cobh Ramblers: Cuthbert, Wolfe, Meade, Andrews, O'Donovan, Moore (Murphy 25), Tynan, Yelverton (O'Shea 74), K O'Reilly, Conlon (Cummins 74), Brosnan.

Referee: Tony Kelly (Dublin).

Great game to watch, good football played by both sides. County blew Ramblers away in the first 15 minutes. Keepers had no chance with any of the goals. Shane Hartes goal was a top class strike to the top corner of the net, from well outside the box. Gareth Cronins chip in the second half was a touch of class an inch lower and it wouldn't have hit the cross bar. The game was played in a good spirit, even if there was 4+ yellows given out and some bone crunching tackles. The ref had a satisfactory game, but what about the two penalty's for County at the end of the game?

Great to see us top of the league!
    Any condescension detected in this post is fully unintentional and is solely the perception of the reader. If I think you're an idiot, I'll tell you that. You won't need to intuit it.

hally11
    were ramblers ever in with a chance of getting something out of da game?could da defence done anything about da goals,clearing it away,blocking???

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can you remeber who (if any!!!) were booked for Cobh?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hally11
    were ramblers ever in with a chance of getting something out of da game?could da defence done anything about da goals,clearing it away,blocking???

Defence had no chance with the goals, second from Shane Harte was unstoppable. Had a penalty appeal, but County had two after that. Ramblers only started to play when they were two down. The introduction of Murphy helped the team balance overall.
    Any condescension detected in this post is fully unintentional and is solely the perception of the reader. If I think you're an idiot, I'll tell you that. You won't need to intuit it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenstown Ram
    Can you remeber who (if any!!!) were booked for Cobh?
    O'Reilly, Tynan for a two footed tackle that left Mc Nevin in agony on the stroke of half time ( Philip Byrne had pole axed Moore earlier ( pay Back I think), possible another as well.

Byrne and Griffen for County got yellow may be another as well. It was a mans game, some bone crunchers. But far from dirty.

Don't think cobh will be pointless for long.