Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UCD support!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    175 fools turned out to get soaked at Belfield. And watch us draw on the side...
    Con Martin on the radio said it was 50!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eoinh
    Not a chance, it was definately closer to 200.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Con Martin's wrong, I'm afraid! The attendance was hand-counted as usual...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It seems silly for the FAI to have UCD playing a home match on a long weekend when many students would be going home for the long weekend.

It should have been penciled in as an away fixture. With the FAI we shouldnt be surprised though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    It seems silly for the FAI to have UCD playing a home match on a long weekend when many students would be going home for the long weekend.
    Not really - we've pretty much given up on students as a fan base, especially with summer soccer, so it doesn't affect anything. Bank Holiday weekends seem to lower attendances anyways - and we've had home games on three or four of them...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not really - we've pretty much given up on students as a fan base, especially with summer soccer, so it doesn't affect anything. Bank Holiday weekends seem to lower attendances anyways - and we've had home games on three or four of them...

So, who do you hope to attract to your games then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Southside of Dublin, basically. Bohs, Shels and Dublin City are Northside teams, Pat's are more inner city and Rovers are Tallaght. That leaves the likes of Dún Laoghaire, Stillorgan, Blackrock, Booterstown, Mount Merrion, Dean's Grange, Monkstown, Cabinteely, Ballybrack, Clonskeagh, Dundrum, Ballinteer, Glenageary and others - easily 250,000 people not being directly targeted by any of the other Dublin clubs. We've got links with schools and a couple of local clubs, do summer soccer camps and also free soccer camps with children from disadvantaged areas. All this is only going for two years really, but it's paying dividends slowly but surely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stu, Pats are more the whole west side of Dublin, from Inchicore out through Ballyer, Clondalkin, Tallaght, Palmerstown, Lucan and north Kildare. I'd say Rovers draw support from all over the city, having played all over for so long. As for yourselves, your own description seems to suggest youse are more or less targetting the rugby heartlands, in which case good luck!
    Revenge for 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nightdub
    Stu, Pats are more the whole west side of Dublin, from Inchicore out through Ballyer, Clondalkin, Tallaght, Palmerstown, Lucan and north Kildare.
    Yeah, that's more accurate alright. What I meant to say, of course! Still, far away from us, which is good.

I'd say Rovers draw support from all over the city, having played all over for so long.
    Very hard to tell. Where would their new supporters come from? Without being condescending, I'd say you'd have a different type of people going to Rovers games and UCD games, in which case there's not as much competition as there could be.

As for yourselves, your own description seems to suggest youse are more or less targetting the rugby heartlands, in which case good luck!
    Nail on head alright. Still better than students! Basically, though, there's a decent catchment area which we're starting to tap into, so hopefully we'll start getting somewhere. Not a big fan of going to games with 175 people at them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Southside of Dublin, basically. Bohs, Shels and Dublin City are Northside teams, Pat's are more inner city and Rovers are Tallaght. That leaves the likes of Dún Laoghaire, Stillorgan, Blackrock, Booterstown, Mount Merrion, Dean's Grange, Monkstown, Cabinteely, Ballybrack, Clonskeagh, Dundrum, Ballinteer, Glenageary and others - easily 250,000 people not being directly targeted by any of the other Dublin clubs.
    Buit surely if you live in one of those areas and decided to start supporting a football team you're going to pick a proper club like Rovers or Bohs and not fcuking UCD?
    Champions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Southside of Dublin, basically. Bohs, Shels and Dublin City are Northside teams, Pat's are more inner city and Rovers are Tallaght. That leaves the likes of Dún Laoghaire, Stillorgan, Blackrock, Booterstown, Mount Merrion, Dean's Grange, Monkstown, Cabinteely, Ballybrack, Clonskeagh, Dundrum, Ballinteer, Glenageary and others - easily 250,000 people not being directly targeted by any of the other Dublin clubs. We've got links with schools and a couple of local clubs, do summer soccer camps and also free soccer camps with children from disadvantaged areas. All this is only going for two years really, but it's paying dividends slowly but surely.
    I think the name alone is a problem for attracting support, people would be more reluctant to support a college side than they would be to support Pats or Rovers for whatever reason imo, which is going to limit the potential support for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    I think the name alone is a problem for attracting support, people would be more reluctant to support a college side than they would be to support Pats or Rovers for whatever reason imo, which is going to limit the potential support for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colm
    But surely if you live in one of those areas and decided to start supporting a football team you're going to pick a proper club like Rovers or Bohs and not UCD?
    Wouldn't entirely agree, though I can see where yez're coming from. If you're an 8-year-old kid whose parents send you to a summer soccer camp and the club then give you a season ticket, what's UCD going to mean to you? It'd just be a team you might go and watch/look out for in the papers like any English team and whose players coached you during the summer. The fact that it's a college or not Rovers/Pat's/Bohs/Shels wouldn't have any impact on kids.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's true from the kids point of view but I think alot of support for EL sides comes from people of all ages who just decide they want to go out and see their local side and get into it all, and I think they're far more likely to pick one of the 'big four' in Dublin instead of UCD for those reasons. Would a move to a new ground off campus be completley out of the question? I know moves are always pretty dodgy affairs over here, but I think it could help UCD in gaining support a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Would a move to a new ground off campus be completley out of the question? I know moves are always pretty dodgy affairs over here, but I think it could help UCD in gaining support a bit.
    Don't think so - Belfield has the advantage of being very easy to get to from almost anywhere on the Southside, particularly by bus. There's plenty of parking spaces and it's fairly central. And sure where would we go? Two-acre sites for football grounds don't grow on trees...

Obviously any random punter who decides to start following an eL team in Dublin will likely go for your big four, but we can't have everything, can we? You'd be surprised how many kids around the area are at least aware of UCD through promotions in schools, the soccer camp, etc. A lot will dismiss them as being an Irish team and therefore cráp (though I've not heard any knocking them for not being one of the big four), but a fair few consider UCD their local team now. Maybe in the Premier next season (touch wood), with us actually being mentioned in the media again, some of that interest will be stoked and people will start going to more games. But to get back to the original point, the local route has to be more successful than targetting students. And I think with attendances like ours, we can't be blamed for trying a different tack!

By the way, can a moderator move the UCD bit of this to a separate thread? In the UCD forum would be the obvious place I suppose.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who gets the money?

There was a thread which answered this question before but I can't find it now, and the FAI web site does not carry the info either, as far as I can see.
    Who gets what from EL gate receipts?
    Who gets what from European competition gate receipts?
    Who gets what from FAI Senior Cup gate receipts?
    If the home club has to share a significant % of the gate with the visiting team in any of the above competitions, what independent monitoring, if any, is there? Or to put it another way, what incentive is there for the home club to be honest about numbers in attendance?
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My understanding is that the home club gets the gat receipts in eL and european games. The gate receipts are split 50-50 for cup games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student
    My understanding is that the home club gets the gat receipts in eL and european games. The gate receipts are split 50-50 for cup games.
    Cup games up to the semi-final stage, 7.5% off the top goes to the FAI. Remainder is split 60/40 between the two clubs.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

UCD Support

Davros

Part of our function in being in the League is to Educate ye all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Agree it was about 200 on Friday night. 8 supporting Limerick.

Actually one of the best I can remember in Belfield for quite a while.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Very hard to tell. Where would their new supporters come from? Without being condescending, I'd say you'd have a different type of people going to Rovers games and UCD games, in which case there's not as much competition as there could be.

The late great Dermot Morgan was a fan of both clubs. Some Rovers fans who dont travel to our away games go to Belfield. Of the 13 locations you mentioned as possible support bases I know Rovers fans from 10 of them! There is a good percentage of Rovers fans living not far from Belfield so yes you are being condescending.

But UCD are a welcome addition to the premier as opposed to CHF.

On the Cup receipts 40% goes to each club with 20% going to Carlsberg.

CollegeTillIDie how's work?!

KOH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast