Thread: Welsh rugby Legend Gareth Thomas reveals he is gay

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Welsh rugby Legend Gareth Thomas reveals he is gay

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...h--Im-gay.html

Fair play to him. Hard to imagine what he went through, despite the mistakes he admits himself.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    To echo Gareth's own words, 'so what!' It is certainly a brave decision to come out at the beginning of the career, I don't think that this is the case if you have retired. If Thomas is still playing then he might find some trouble, but he certainly looks like the man who can take care of it.

For most of us, homosexual work colleagues are common, even in the most 'manly' of jobs. I don't think rugby fans are that bothered. It is funny how rugby and Gaelic football have been the frontrunners in this subject, unlike football, who remains silent on the subject. Are there no homosexuals in football?
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez View Post
    To echo Gareth's own words, 'so what!' It is certainly a brave decision to come out at the beginning of the career, I don't think that this is the case if you have retired. If Thomas is still playing then he might find some trouble, but he certainly looks like the man who can take care of it.

For most of us, homosexual work colleagues are common, even in the most 'manly' of jobs. I don't think rugby fans are that bothered. It is funny how rugby and Gaelic football have been the frontrunners in this subject, unlike football, who remains silent on the subject. Are there no homosexuals in football?
    no were all manly men who find it acceptable collapse and cry if the wind blows!air play to him i can only imagine how hard it is to come to terms with and tell people
    f

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    It could be a while before we see another gay footballer come out after the experience of Justin Fashanu..
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    It's a different era now though. Also most of them come off as being a bit gay these days with their little manbags.
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Docboy View Post
    It's a different era now though. Also most of them come off as being a bit gay these days with their little manbags.
    Better return the manbag the wife gave me for Christmas!!
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wasn't it in a documentary with Max Clifford that he claimed a top Premier League footballer and English international is gay but that he's paid to protect his "secret"? It's the one with Louis Theroux where probably the most openly in the closet gentleman, Simon Cowell, was set up dates with "stunning girlfriends". Theroux pushed to have Clifford admit Cowell was gay but bad Max denied it with a grin. No matter how we might believe football has moved on from the bad old days, no player worth his salt will come out and admit they're gay because to do so in football is career suicide. Imagine if Cristiano Ronaldo had finally admitted he's a real mans man to Alex Ferguson, he'd still be orbitting the earth!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weecountyman View Post
    No matter how we might believe football has moved on from the bad old days, no player worth his salt will come out and admit they're gay because to do so in football is career suicide.
    I don't agree with that. If a player is good enough, he'll get a club. We are happy to have racists, thugs, criminals of all kinds in fact, play for or against clubs we support. I don't think a player admitting they are a homosexual would be career suicide, although they'd need true mental strength to put up with the abuse they'd get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I don't agree with that. If a player is good enough, he'll get a club. We are happy to have racists, thugs, criminals of all kinds in fact, play for or against clubs we support. I don't think a player admitting they are a homosexual would be career suicide, although they'd need true mental strength to put up with the abuse they'd get.
    disagree me thinks that todays fans / players would accept racist/thugs /criminals before a homosexual player still seems to be the last taboo in this bizare world.. also how many famous players have had the mental strenght to admit to being gay.. justin fashanu ( soccer ) gareth thomas ( rugby when career nearly over) donal og cusack ( gaa) so 3 players in the last 10-15 years.
    Last edited by old git; 05/01/2010 at 9:57 PM.

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    disagree me thinks that todays fans / players would accept racist/thugs /criminals before a homosexual player still seems to be the last taboo in this bizare world.. also how many famous players have had the mental strenght to admit to being gay.. justin fashanu ( soccer ) gareth thomas ( rugby when career nearly over) donal og cusack ( gaa) so 3 players in the last 10-15 years.
    According to an article in l'Equipe (I think) a couple of months back, Donal Óg is the first sportsman in Europe to come out while still playing at the top level.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Osarusan, while I think you're right that football fans accept alot, I do think that a gay player might just be a bit too much. I should have added, re. career suicide, is that the normal endorsements that a top player would expect would not exist. There is a niche market but the "manly men" products - like for skin and hair care - would ease away as there is a stigma.

Bluebeard, I reckon that could be pretty much right though in the USA a couple of NFL and NHL players came out in the last few years. None were frontline players and were nearing the end/ending their careers.