Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Personnel for 2010

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    What are your taughts for our squad outlook in 2010 ( Barring injuries etc)

Id like the following core squad:

Given
    Westwood
    Murphy

Dunne
    O'Shea
    Wilson
    St. Ledger
    Coleman
    Bardsley
    Matt connolly
    Kevin Foley
    Ward

Whelan
    Andrews
    Duff
    Lawerence
    Hunt
    Mc Geady
    Mc Cann
    Fahey
    A Reid
    Ephraim
    Darron Gibson
    Darren ambrose

Keane
    Best
    Doyle
    Folan
    Stokes
    Sheridan
    Jutkiewicz
    Dixon
    What is this fantasy football? I'm all for trying new players but please no journeymen championship players (ambrose) or unproven kids Dixon(who has yet to play a senior league game), Sheridan, Jutkiewicz.
    would love to see Coleman make an impact also Wilson and Foley deserve chances as does Ward. Fahy probably needs to get back in birminghams team before he will be considered. Andy Reid without question should be in the squad. I'm hoping Trapp has a real go at qualifing, I really believe we can qualilify for the Euros, plus we'll be back at Lansdowne thats going to be a great athmosphere, one that opposing teams wount like one bit. Also think that Kilbane deserves a squad place, what a top player he's been for us he has experience that he can pass on to the younger members of the team plus wont let us down if called on. Remember the likes of Kevin Moran, Aldo hung continued to turn up for Ireland during the later stages of their careers and played a part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    My TAUGHTS would be that I should be learnt my grammars better.

I'd have the same basic squad with Finnan and two Reids back. I'd also have another look at Darryl Murphy, Keith Fahy, Damien Delaney, Kevin Folwy and Stephen Ward in a few friendlies.

Wouldnt let Stephen Ireland back if he begged!!!
    Firstly it would be thoughts not taughts

Secondly its Foley, not Folwy

and in third wouldn't not wouldnt

& finally its Daryl Murphy...1 r in Daryl

Please tell me you were being ironic??

On topic McSheffrey is no where near good enough
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Jesus, we have so many perfect posters on the boards. As if it's that important really.

To add to the list of potential future internationals, for 2014 in particular, I'd add Shane Duffy to the list. He'll be 22 around that time and if he continues to make progress at Goodison, he's bound to have a bright future and every effort should be made to include him in our squads. I'll be watching the Everton v BATE game on Thursday to see if Coleman and Duffy play, because Moyes may look to rest a lot of first team players.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Jesus, we have so many perfect posters on the boards. As if it's that important really.

To add to the list of potential future internationals, for 2014 in particular, I'd add Shane Duffy to the list. He'll be 22 around that time and if he continues to make progress at Goodison, he's bound to have a bright future and every effort should be made to include him in our squads. I'll be watching the Everton v BATE game on Thursday to see if Coleman and Duffy play, because Moyes may look to rest a lot of first team players.
    I know its been discussed on another thread but I would have thought that since he is now involved with the senior Northern Ireland squad that he has made his decision at this stage. I realise that he isnt tied down to them but I would assume that he would stick with them since they were the first to call him up much like McGeady and McCarthy decided to stick with us for that reason.
    He looks a good prospect so I would like us to inquire about him but Im personally not optimistic... but I obviously dont know the full details
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Isn't Duffy likely to be a Norn Irn international though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I know its been discussed on another thread but I would have thought that since he is now involved with the senior Northern Ireland squad that he has made his decision at this stage. I realise that he isnt tied down to them but I would assume that he would stick with them since they were the first to call him up much like McGeady and McCarthy decided to stick with us for that reason.
    He looks a good prospect so I would like us to inquire about him but Im personally not optimistic... but I obviously dont know the full details
    Quote Originally Posted by twoenz View Post
    Well, I know it's all just speculation at present, but there was a murmur going around Derry recently that Duffy was going to declare for RoI. I think that if he's given the same opportunities with RoI as he has already had with NI, he wouldn't need any persuasion to change. It just seems to me that he's been 'given up on' by the FAI so to speak, since he's been fast-tracked through the NI setup. Trapattoni is looking to strengthen the squad for the next two campaigns by looking into every possibility i.e. English players with Irish ancestry, but we have a very promising young player who was actually born on the island, who given some luck will make it in the Premiership. I understand that at present he's only 17 (18 in the new year), but he has already made his debut for Everton and like I said, would be 22 come 2014. If his career continues to progress and he is given the right guidance, he could prove very useful for Ireland and the FAI should be putting as much effort into getting Duffy into the setup as they are trying to get the likes of Nolan etc.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Hope u are right Predator
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor's left peg
    I know its been discussed on another thread but I would have thought that since he is now involved with the senior Northern Ireland squad that he has made his decision at this stage
    Maybe not, even with the newish rule that a dual-qualified player can change only once, he may decide to accept a cap for the RoI (u-19, U-21 or maybe even full) and take his chances.

I realise that he isnt tied down to them but I would assume that he would stick with them since they were the first to call him up much like McGeady and McCarthy decided to stick with us for that reason
    I think he probably will stick with us (he's played a lot of games already, he knows everyone in the set-up, the NI senior team is probably going to be easier to break into). But we're not assuming anything

Quote Originally Posted by twoenz
    He was recently dropped back into the u-19 side. There's always the posibility of fast-tracking, particularly through a friendly, but I'd be surprised if he appeared for our senior side in the next year. After that, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Predator
    I think that if he's given the same opportunities with RoI as he has already had with NI, he wouldn't need any persuasion to change
    That could be the crux. Your u-21 side isn't likely to offer him a run of games in the next year (by which time he'll still be only 18); if he plays only one that's his NI career over, surely?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I don't believe in "building for the future" in international football.

You take it on a campaign by campaign basis, and use the best players available. Our goal should be to qualify for Euro 2012, by using the best players available, whether they are 20 years old, or 36 years old.

I don't think we enjoy enough success to write the Euros off as a meaningless competition that should be used for "re-building." Let's continue with this core of players, and try to do as well as we can now. Let the young players develop with their clubs. 4 days every couple of months will do very little overall for a young player's development.

If these players demonstrate that they can be effective at club level, then we can use them for the national side.

Agree fully, threads like this make me laugh when the time of the year comes where people start claiming random kid #14 deserves a call up because he got a couple of half-decent sub cameos for a mediocre club.

The squad for the next campaign should be the same squad for this campaign with minimal changes made based on form. We had an impressive campaign that didn't end with a world cup because we had to beat one of the two finalists to get there, and heck we got 1 W, 2D, 1L from those games at that which isn't half bad either. It isn't time to scrap players or any of this stan inspired "rebuilding nonsense" by calling up every randomer from the championship or premiership reserves.

Andy Reid needs to be given his chance, I couldn't give two ****s if any of the other journeymen are called up or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Hope u are right Predator
    I hope so too!

Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    That could be the crux. Your u-21 side isn't likely to offer him a run of games in the next year (by which time he'll still be only 18); if he plays only one that's his NI career over, surely?
    Yeah, I'd say Duffy's probably aware of the fact he can only change once too, which is why he doesn't appear to be 'burning his bridges', so to speak. I can't fault him for that really.

Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Agree fully, threads like this make me laugh when the time of the year comes where people start claiming random kid #14 deserves a call up because he got a couple of half-decent sub cameos for a mediocre club.

The squad for the next campaign should be the same squad for this campaign with minimal changes made based on form. We had an impressive campaign that didn't end with a world cup because we had to beat one of the two finalists to get there, and heck we got 1 W, 2D, 1L from those games at that which isn't half bad either. It isn't time to scrap players or any of this stan inspired "rebuilding nonsense" by calling up every randomer from the championship or premiership reserves.
    Maybe it's not what you perceive to be the most effective strategy but building for the future should always be a question for the international side in my opinion. There are a number of very talented dual qualified young players we need to try to capitalise from and encourage to play for us, so we can increase our options for calling on different players. The more talented players available to us can't be a problem in my eyes.

Andy Reid needs to be given his chance, I couldn't give two ****s if any of the other journeymen are called up or not.
    I concur. I want the best players playing for us, but he likes of Carsley and that should never be considered at this stage, despite protests from the likes of Dunphy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    IQ Test Time

Predator is to Shane Duffy as _ _ _ _ _ _ is to Sean St. Ledger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    IQ Test Time

Predator is to Shane Duffy as _ _ _ _ _ _ is to Sean St. Ledger.
    No need for that really, as 'funny' and all as it is; I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me for having an interest in footballers from Derry who have the potential to be future Ireland players. I stand by the points I made. If you care to dispute them or disagree, be my guest.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    I'd like Duffy to declare for us but realistically, hasnt he already made his decision? If he was interested in switching and didnt want to to come out and say so himself, it would be easy for someone at his club to contact the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    I'd like Duffy to declare for us but realistically, hasnt he already made his decision? If he was interested in switching and didnt want to to come out and say so himself, it would be easy for someone at his club to contact the FAI
    The thing is, he doesn't have to make a decision until either

a) he appears for NI in a full qualifier (which obviously can't happen until late 2010, and I think is unlikely then- he isn't 19 until January 2011, or

b) he appears for the RoI in a game at any level.

I've no idea (beyond the rumors Predator and other Derry locals and Everton fans have mentioned) what he'll do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hope predator is right and he plays for Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Firstly it would be thoughts not taughts

Secondly its Foley, not Folwy

and in third wouldn't not wouldnt

& finally its Daryl Murphy...1 r in Daryl

Please tell me you were being ironic??

On topic McSheffrey is no where near good enough
    ha ha touché!!
    bwagner i was only having a laugh, sorry if it came across ****y
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    ha ha touché!!
    bwagner i was only having a laugh, sorry if it came across ****y
    I'm equally sorry if I came off a jerk man!!! We all know the only place for pedantry and nit picking like that is any thread discussing NI or any of that guff!

On Topic...have to admit I'm quite happy about Simon Cox possibly being added to the list for next year.

Does anyone think that the announcement that Trap would be looking to exploit the parentage rule may of only been released to help eligible players out, you knowif you build it they will come style?
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Does Simon Cox have Irish ancestry?

Saw him score the equaliser last night against QPR, took his goal very well.

Let's be honest, Robbie Keane isn't getting any younger and we need to start blooding some replacements now.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet7 View Post
    Does Simon Cox have Irish ancestry?

Saw him score the equaliser last night against QPR, took his goal very well.

Let's be honest, Robbie Keane isn't getting any younger and we need to start blooding some replacements now.
    Not only does he qualify, but a few days ago he issued a "come and get me" plea to Trapattoni.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran W View Post
    Wayne rooneys little brother wants to play for ireland
    Your laughing Ciaran, but that is indeed true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rooney_(footballer)

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky...20080641312932

Not to mention his cousin - Tommy Amos!

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php...ght=Tommy+Amos

I could never understand why Wayne choose Ging-er-land
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast