Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 30 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I've always said that the LOI should look to loan players from the UK to try and raise its profile. If 10,000 people turn up to watch Liverpool reserves play a friendly, maybe they'll turn up when one of their young stars is getting some competitive game time. The whole thing is a circular process though. Raise interest >> get crowds up >> more money >> reinvest >> raise interest... The problem is that most LOI clubs have tended to self-destruct before they can get through one cycle of this.
    Rather bleak that piggy-backing off the affections Irish people have for British clubs might be a way forward, but I guess that's how desperate the situation is and what the League of Ireland is competing with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Rather bleak that piggy-backing off the affections Irish people have for British clubs might be a way forward, but I guess that's how desperate the situation is and what the League of Ireland is competing with.

The main challenge is getting the punters through the gates for a couple of games. After that, the majority of football fans see that the league really isn't that bad, and that it's fun to cheer on a team in person, as well as in a pub. It's getting over the mental block some people have that we need to deal with.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    To be fair, lads like Colin Healy and Gareth Farrelly have come back after short international careers.
    Curtis Fleming, Alan Moore and Liam O'Brien too. Though two of them had started in the LoI. And I think it's debatable how much the likes of those players have really boosted the LoI unfortunately. (Though that's not to say it isn't good to see them play in the league)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I've always said that the LOI should look to loan players from the UK to try and raise its profile. If 10,000 people turn up to watch Liverpool reserves play a friendly, maybe they'll turn up when one of their young stars is getting some competitive game time.
    They're going to see the 'brand' Liverpool. They don't care about any of the players.

There's been plenty of loan signings in the LOI and none have added to the gate.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    It's covering some ground this thread.

People here have shown that they aren't interested in journeymen types coming back mid career no matter how much they help drive up the standards of play, they just want to see the stars off the telly. There used to be atradition of the auld fellas coming back to see out their careers at home, they've got too much in the bank by that stage these days and can't be ar*ed.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Keith Gillespie going to Longford generated a bit of buzz from my non-LOI-supporting circle, but I'd have doubts about whether the interest would be enough to get people through the gates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I asked this of a couple of lOngford fans, and certainly his debut didn't see any extra in the gate
    ---

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I asked this of a couple of lOngford fans, and certainly his debut didn't see any extra in the gate
    Didn't get down, but my impression was the crowd was up. Hard to tell, as it's the best start to a season in a while. And also he hasn't even started yet! Hopefully he'll improve results to an extent we won't know whether it's the promotion push or him that has lead to the increase.

Just on the point about Premiership loanee's - most of them go to championship level, if not other premiership clubs. I don't see the LoI ever getting the quality loan players to make a difference. I'd also have reservations that a few quality players is going to be enough to change the mindset of the general football following population tbh. It'd just be some other excuse.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I don't think its in the remit of a "supporter" of a football club to encourage others to go to games or promote their club, nor even a LOI fan, but those of you who are, just smack of defeatism, annoyance and indifference at non LOI football fans, and that attitude in itself will not encourage others to come along, it probably wont deter them either mind, because they aren't aware.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I don't think its in the remit of a "supporter" of a football club to encourage others to go to games or promote their club
    Thats because, as I've always told you, you simply don't get what being a supporter of a club is.

but those of you who are, just smack of defeatism, annoyance and indifference at non LOI football fans, and that attitude in itself will not encourage others to come along, it probably wont deter them either mind, because they aren't aware.
    And again, the people who get annoyed becuase supporters of clubs have the temerity to call them out on their phoney reasons for not going to games, aren't the people who'd ever go toa game in the first place.

I'm deadly serious. Nobody who'd have even the remotest idea of maybe attending an Irish club's game would let the views of a few people on a message board deter them. For all the 'defeatist' stuff there's many multiples of that saying that supportinga team is a brillaint thing.

Only people looking for excuses look for the negative.
    ---

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya exactly, and ye guys sound so negative.

Btw - can you edit the "club" above please, I'm sure you'll understand why ;-)
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I don't think its in the remit of a "supporter" of a football club to encourage others to go to games or promote their club, nor even a LOI fan, but those of you who are, just smack of defeatism, annoyance and indifference at non LOI football fans, and that attitude in itself will not encourage others to come along, it probably wont deter them either mind, because they aren't aware.
    The thing is, as soon as someone steps through the turnstiles at an LOI ground, they're usually no longer a barstooler in the eyes of the supporters. Sure, most of us don't even mind if you turn up in a Liverpool or Celtic shirt. And we all give out about people who follow other leagues to the disadvantage of our own from time to time, but if we're actually having a conversation with you, it's far more likely to be along the lines of "ah come on down to the next game, it'll be great craic", as opposed to "you are the barstooling equivalent of Stalin, Pol Pot, and Louis Walsh all rolled into one".

You'll only find the odd crank who thinks that anyone who has ever watched football on the telly should be permanently barred from all LOI grounds. Everyone else would be more than happy to have you. If you ask nicely, they'll probably even let you buy them a pint in the bar after the game!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Its an interesting point, I've always sensed that there is a little 'under current' among some LOI supporters that post on here (by no means a lot I might add) that in some way, whilst they want the league to flourish and in the process have bigger crowds, more money, keep hold of homegrown players for longer etc, part of them may actually quite like the way it is. Perhaps akin to supporting a lower league English Team, you know more faces in the crowd, that sense of camaradarie, 'Punk Football' I think they were calling it when FC United were formed.

... I wonder if LOI crowds doubled overnight for all clubs, would there be a bit of a 'look at all these fecking johnny come latelys - remember the good old days!' reaction.

Not looking to stir anything here, just wondering would there be a bit of underlying resentment to the bandwagoners? Perhaps as it is more likely to be a very gradual change it would never be an issue.

My chances to attend LOI games are extremely rare. Bascially I come over for the International games and Holidays only but reading this forum over the years has meant I look out for it much more, read about it much more and appreciate it much more. If I can catch a game when I'm over then I would certainly try and do so, the quality really wouldnt be an issue for me (be it better or worse than I expected).
    Last edited by Junior; 14/04/2011 at 12:22 PM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

14. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Perhaps akin to supporting a lower league English Team, you know more faces in the crowd, that sense of camaradarie, 'Punk Football' I think they were calling it when FC United were formed.
    That's one of the things I like about the league anyway. Thing is, any club's crowds could double and that would still apply, so I don't think anyone's wanting crowds to stay the same just because they prefer it that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    ... I wonder if LOI crowds doubled overnight for all clubs, would there be a bit of a 'look at all these fecking johnny come latelys - remember the good old days!' reaction.
    You'll get that everywhere. There are Manchester based united fans who lost interest whent ehy start winning everything. They are cranks though.

Without stirring, 3/4 years ago Rovers had average crowds of about 1,500 (and before that it'd have been less) but now its 3 times that. I don't think you'll find a single one of the 1,500 who wants to go back to those days. You might have the odd one moaning if they can't get an away ticket but again, overall they see the benefits

If it was Pats, I'd be more than willing to put up with 2,000 paul O'Sheas if it meant we could do more than barely survive...
    ---

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I think the only annoyance at cup finals with the bandwagoners is that they won't be back, rather than that they were there in the first place. As others have pointed out, we're many multiples of current crowds away from a situation where people can't get tickets with their mates, prices rises, having to sit down etc which would lead to resentment imo.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Its an interesting point, I've always sensed that there is a little 'under current' among some LOI supporters that post on here (by no means a lot I might add) that in some way, whilst they want the league to flourish and in the process have bigger crowds, more money, keep hold of homegrown players for longer etc, part of them may actually quite like the way it is. Perhaps akin to supporting a lower league English Team, you know more faces in the crowd, that sense of camaradarie, 'Punk Football' I think they were calling it when FC United were formed.
    There was a discussion along these lines in the LOI forum a few months back and a few people said more or less exactly that. They were the minority though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    You'll get that everywhere. There are Manchester based united fans who lost interest whent ehy start winning everything. They are cranks though.
    I think the United situation is somewhat different. When clubs become a plaything for profit on the global market - or a mere brand, in essence - they invariably lose what might be viewed as their local soul. The fans probably couldn't connect with the marketing ambitions of the club, nor with the celebrities who were now purporting to represent them on the field. When what was once your club in every way begins purchasing token South Koreans and selling Fred the Red lamp-shades en masse in Japan, it's probably high time you had a re-think of what it's really all about. The gentrification and sanitisation of top-flight English football has understandably put many die-hards off. All-seater stadia have killed the atmosphere at games and rising ticket prices have made it unaffordable for the old stalwart working-class fans to attend. English football is sold to the affluent middle-class nowadays. Its values no longer share anything in common with those with whom it was traditionally associated. See, for example, Wayne Rooney receiving a two-match ban for swearing into a camera during an explosion of energy after scoring a goal. I mean, seriously?

From personal experience, League of Ireland support can tend to get somewhat "cliquey", but maybe that's a natural consequence of seeing the same heads at the games every week; it would only be expected that bonds be formed. Note the whole "real football, real fans" thing, however. I think that's indicative of a superiority complex which could very easily make those perceived as "outsiders" somewhat uncomfortable. I suppose you could also view it as pride. In saying all that, when I first travelled to Derry away games, I travelled alone, for want of a better word, on buses with supporters' clubs of which I wasn't a member and where I might have vaguely known one or two people, if even, but had no problem joining in or being made feel like I was part of it all.

Nor was there any heed passed if I ever started throwing up on the return journey, although the less said about that, the better.

I suspect everyone else might have been either asleep or doing the same, mind.

I suppose most "established fans" don't mind just so long as you're supporting the club in some way. The real antipathy is reserved for those who seek to remain on the "outside", or, in other words, the infamous barstoolers.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    What I write isn't an attack on those who attend LOI games week in and week out, by the way, but just an observation of sorts, as I have a huge deal of respect and admiration for those who support their clubs through thick and thin. One guy I know, a student living in Edinburgh, is so dedicated that he flies back and forth regularly - sometimes weekly - just to go to Derry games.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    From personal experience, League of Ireland support can tend to get somewhat "cliquey", but maybe that's a natural consequence of seeing the same heads at the games every week; it would only be expected that bonds be formed. Note the whole "real football, real fans" thing, however. I think that's indicative of a superiority complex which could very easily make those perceived as "outsiders" somewhat uncomfortable. I suppose you could also view it as pride. In saying all that, when I first travelled to Derry away games, I travelled alone, for want of a better word, on buses with supporters' clubs of which I wasn't a member and where I might have vaguely known one or two people, if even, but had no problem joining in or being made feel like I was part of it all.
    My experience would've been the complete opposite (or more like your away trip experience), even from going to none Longford games as a neutral. I would see it more welcoming than many other "events" I've been too over the years anyway that I've been sad enough to go alone/ be split from my mates.

Being outright hated by many match going fans doesn't stop lots going and/ or following United - and there's nowhere near that antipathy in the LoI, if any.

Page 30 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast