Thread: Ireland U21 1-1 Switzerland U21

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    Oops

Although having said that, I don't see a huge pile of difference between Best, Folan and Sheridan.
    Except that Best seems to score goals when the other 2 dont
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Was down there and thought Judge was well worth his man of the match. Jay O Shea was also very impressive as was Sheridan, Garvan and Hughton. The back 4 worked well throughout as a unit and were organising and talking to each other all night. The swiss are very highly regarded and while you could say that the let us play in the first 2/3rds of the pitch, we knocked the ball around well and the movement was great off the ball. Seemed to play very narrow and the 5 at the back was completely necessary after the first 20 minutes. We had at most 2 men in the box all night until the last minute.

Two points lost methinks more due to tactics than the opposition. Good solid performance though. Sill cant understand why they don't give away the remaining match tickets to the schools the day before the match.
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Cian Hughton - Liked the look this lad - lots of energy going forward and defensively looked sound.

Coneely - looked comfortable on the ball. A few occasions where he took control of the ball on his chest and played it out from the edge of the box - confident stuff.

McCarthy - Some decent surging runs but not involved enough for my liking. Those calling for him to be inthe senior setup should take a look at this game. Im sure hell be great for us but give him time.

Sheridan - Definitely getting stronger, less like bambi on ice each game I see. Likes to work the channels, though that only works well if you have a strike partner in the middle or supporting midfielders getting in to the box - we had neither last night.

Judge - very confident on the ball, always willing to have a go at his fullback, got some good balls in and had a few decent strikes on goal (worthy MOTM in my opinion).

Garvan - Looks good - but had a mixed game. Some decent passsing, though gave possession away too and at fault for the Swiss Goal - Made up for it with a decent strike for the equaliser. Garvan and McCarthy both look a decent build, 6 footers, athletic, bodes well for the senior team in years to come.

Treacy - What is he doing with that 'flick' get a haircut son!
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    On McCarthy I thought he made some good runs but was not picked out by his teammates...he was very comfortable on the ball and I think with better players around him he would impress more ........Given should have used him more...he is strong in the tackle as well ...still young but looks to have something about him
    Bring back the plank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    alan judge played football every summer in matches between my estate and his one. we were like river plate, the team of the middle classes, they were like boca juniors, the working class team. matches were epic. he never looked unbelievable but was quite fast and good control

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    What did the defence look like?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12