Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaving Cert Debacle

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    The idea is meant to be that you get a general handle on things and then improvise rather than learn a bunch of stuff off.
    In our LC English years ago a lot of the poets tipped to come up didn't, and I truly hated Hopkins so didn't study him either , so I was compelled to read a poem and interpret it from what it said, not what I remembered being told it said. The Planters Daughter it was, still remember it, was quite proud of my from-scratch interpretation too! Got a B honours in the old money, to the surprise of my English teacher, so I can only assume it worked.
    Last edited by stann; 08/06/2009 at 9:43 PM. Reason: tidy
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    My sister needs 1 A & 5 B's all at honours level to get into the course she wants in Edinburgh or Queens and despite busting her butt for years and being a smart cookie this is in jeopardy coz of this curve ball.
    Magicme, when I was applying using the UCAS system a few years ago it was always the top 5 subjects they examined you on rather than the 6 used by the CAO. Have they now changed it across the board to 6 or is it just for that particular course? I'm sure your sister is unlikely to have made a mistake on this but it's worth double checking.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligo23 View Post
    ohh fcuk off, such a ridiculous statment to make!! there is no way you could learn everything off in subjects like english, cop on!!
    Shift key would be a good start though.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    The idea is meant to be that you get a general handle on things and then improvise rather than learn a bunch of stuff off.
    Thats how it was in my day but it seems the teachers of the present are making them learn reams of stuff off. My sons Junior Cert English teacher has made them learn essays off by heart. Totally spoon fed them to them and told them to learn them. Has knocked all creativity and imagination out of my son.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Magicme, when I was applying using the UCAS system a few years ago it was always the top 5 subjects they examined you on rather than the 6 used by the CAO. Have they now changed it across the board to 6 or is it just for that particular course? I'm sure your sister is unlikely to have made a mistake on this but it's worth double checking.
    They gave her a specific requirement of 1 A & 5 B's for both Queens and Edinburgh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    My sister had a nightmare exam today and possibly wont get to go to Edinburgh coz of that dumb fecker in Louth.
    was speaking with a teacher about this at the w/end, his comment was interesting : "...those kids don't realise how lucky they are because of the mess up the examiners will now mark the paper very easily...", so your sister should maybe cheer up.

A typical Irish solution to a problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    But not everyone reacts to that kinda pressure the same way. Not everyone had History to look forward to a few days later and the saturday that was planned for last minute History revision was lost. This means that not only does she have the feeling that her English was a mess but now she is even more stressed about History where they have so many essays to learn off.

Anyways, as I keep reminding her, she can only do what she can in the exams and wherever she ends up going to college will be the best place for her. Fate always sends you where you are meant to go.
    now fair enough it is a lot of added and un expected stress, but i dont get this point about losing last minute revision time. Surely what had been planned for saturday am in history could move to where english paper II was originally planned to be sat? It leaves the exact same amount of revision / studying done for both papers.
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Not sure how you can change the system to avoid a mistake by one person messing everything up. The more important thing it is there was an attempt to cover it up - Examinations board not inforrmed until late afternoon & not apparently from the person invloved. I presume that official will be removed from that position.

I have absolutely no doubt this has happened before but without mobiles & internet did not spread quickly enough & was more than likely covered up or just not investigated.

I don't get compliants about stress. Life is stressful from time to time so might as well get used to it. If someone wants to make the LC the most important exam of his/her life then so be it but you don't have to.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Slightly off topic... am amazed that the press haven't commented on the fact that the guy who made the mistake is a retired school teacher , in other words he's on a full pension .

I think it's wrong that a former public servant on a full pension can be given such work when we have so many unemployed who could do the job... same should apply to anyone working in count centres.... and while I'm on the subject teachers should not be allowed to run kids Summer camps... they either need 3 months holidays to recover from the stress of their job (well that's what they're always saying) or they don't.

On a more grand scale legislation should be enacted whereby any Civil or Public Servant once they've retired should have their pension redcuced by any earning they receive for other employment and capped at a €26k (the average industrial wage)

e.g A Gardai retires at age 50 on a pension of €38k per annum, he then gets a job earning €10k per annum, in that case he'd have his state pension reduced to €28k

or a hospital porter retires and is on a pension of €16k per annum, they get a job earning €10k pa ie a total of €26k , and in that case they keep their full €16k pension.

With so many on the dole I think the above is a fair and equitable way of ensuring that Public Servants do their bit in a fair manner

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    AAAAAAnyways back ontopic.

AT the time, I was fuming over this blip, but now I realise that it made sweet FA of a difference. We have the most horrible system of examination, in where the students are under such a ridiculous amount of time over 12 months. Whether its Grinds Schools advertising on the radio to the Supplements in the papers, one can't but help in being bombarded with "You must do well in your Leaving Cert or you are a failure" statements from society.

The recent blip put people off. They had timetables made out, and were rigidly sticking to them. The initial thought of having a paper which could have been made as a direct opposite to the paper which was leaked, coupled with the change in times threw a lot of people, myself included.

What I found was that I was so set in my way and in my train of thought, that the slightest off putting thing completely freaked me out. As it obviously did to Magicme's sister.

The system really does need to be changed. To ask people so young to sit the exams and to undergo the stress while they are still children is barbaric. The idea that students are judged on grades alone to get into college is nonsensical as well as the new "improved" entry into Medicine. What we need is a mixture between the CAO and the UCAS systems. One where you still remain as a number, but your whole personality and life experience should be taken into account.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    The failing is that the exam usually rewards people who don't do that.

I still believe that most people who complain because the exam brings up things which they didn't learn off need to die in a fire. You try to game the system and lose? Tough luck.
    I don't think your second point is fair, the students do whatever their teacher tells them. It's the teacher who's gaming the system and, at that, they don't have a huge choice since they know their students are competing against others who are at it as well.

I agree with your first point though. The exam gives too much reward to rote learning. That's true in most subjects, not just english. I think history is the worst and (of the subjects I sat) technical drawing, applied maths and accountancy were the only ones where understanding the topic was more important that having huge chunks of knowledge memorised.

As it happens, the system suited me quite well. For whatever reason, I'm able to rote learn huge chunks of text and I managed to get a B in honours Irish despite not being able to put a sentence together in that language. But even at the time I was doing that, I knew I wasn't educating myself.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It may not be right but University exams largely depend on ability to memorise facts so the LC prepares you well for that system. I am unsure what other criteria besides exam grades could be introduced - interviews would be subjective & would benefit people with connections. Likew it or not the current system is the fairest as everyone treated the same.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    It may not be right but University exams largely depend on ability to memorise facts so the LC prepares you well for that system. I am unsure what other criteria besides exam grades could be introduced - interviews would be subjective & would benefit people with connections. Likew it or not the current system is the fairest as everyone treated the same.
    Could you not have interviews but with a number system.
    In the UK, you're interest in the subject via a personal statement as well as previous work experience and interviews are taken into account.
    I can't see why the same couldn't be done here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SligoBrewer View Post
    To ask people so young to sit the exams and to undergo the stress while they are still children is barbaric.
    [Pedant] Given the fact many, many children throughout the ages have done far harder and both more mentally and physically exhausting work at a much younger age, not to mention what we've learnt from the Ryan report, that hyperbole is rather unnecessary. [/pedant]

Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    The failing is that the exam usually rewards people who don't do that.

I still believe that most people who complain because the exam brings up things which they didn't learn off need to die in a fire. You try to game the system and lose? Tough luck.
    I think there's always going to be that element of 'playing the game,' no matter what system is used. I just accepted this when I was doing exams, either in secondary school or even at university as part of the system itself. If you gamble and it doesn't come off, that's the risk you take and I think many students, myself included, go into exmas knowing the risk they're taking full well.

In the UK, you're interest in the subject via a personal statement as well as previous work experience and interviews are taken into account.
    The personal statement isn't worth the paper it's written on. It's a necessary part of the application process but it's an open secret that noone is going to get accepted or rejected into a university of the basis of anything they've written on their personal statement. Unless maybe they've written it in crayon.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 11/06/2009 at 9:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    The personal statement isn't worth the paper it's written on. It's a necessary part of the application process but it's an open secret that noone is going to get accepted or rejected into a university of the basis of anything they've written on their personal statement. Unless maybe they've written it in crayon.
    Exactly. At the end of the Day the only major benefit of the UCAS system over the CAO is it lets students know what grades they need to achieve before they sit the exams. With the CAO, you always have to just hope the points don't go up.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Irish Times: Academics worried by 'spoon-fed' students

Gotta say that in the year I spent teaching I was shocked by the inability of the students to think and reason independently.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Irish Times: Academics worried by 'spoon-fed' students

Gotta say that in the year I spent teaching I was shocked by the inability of the students to think and reason independently.
    There's a lot of truth in what the man has to say but I think it's also trendy in academic circles to give out about the state of secondary education. The leaving cert is largely marked on a student's ability to memorise and repeat a curriculum but there are some academics here who go a step worse and mark students on their ability to memorise and repeat the academics' own opinions. Sometimes 'independent thinking' is used as a by-phrase for 'thinking the same way I do'.

I agree with what the man had to say here:
    “I have a concern that, in response, too many of our academic departments at third level are responding to this learned behaviour, not by challenging it but by collaborating in it, even to the extent of worrying grade inflation. We need to seriously re-imagine key levels of our second-level system.”
    Last edited by Bald Student; 14/06/2009 at 4:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    My poor sister has to do her physics exam in the morning thinking that one of her friends is stable in hospital when in fact she is just being kept alive so that her organs can be used.

Am devestated but have had to act all normal around her so that she doesnt twig that her friend is gone.

Puts silly worries about an English paper in perspective, a beautiful intelligent young lady wont be alive to get her results.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student View Post
    There's a lot of truth in what the man has to say but I think it's also trendy in academic circles to give out about the state of secondary education. The leaving cert is largely marked on a student's ability to memorise and repeat a curriculum but there are some academics here who go a step worse and mark students on their ability to memorise and repeat the academics' own opinions. Sometimes 'independent thinking' is used as a by-phrase for 'thinking the same way I do'.
    +1. Universities would want to look closer to home before they criticise the LC.

Bring back Rocketman!

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    My poor sister has to do her physics exam in the morning thinking that one of her friends is stable in hospital when in fact she is just being kept alive so that her organs can be used.

Am devestated but have had to act all normal around her so that she doesnt twig that her friend is gone.

Puts silly worries about an English paper in perspective, a beautiful intelligent young lady wont be alive to get her results.
    That really puts the whole thing in perspective, the leaving cert is hyped up to be this life changing exam when in the larger scheme of things it's totally insignificant. For one it can be repeated, secondly once you hit 24 you can study as a mature student, thirdly all the academic qualifications in the world won't get you anywhere without hard work and an aptitude for your chosen career.

I know I chose my leaving cert subjects as a 15 year old who thought he might want to do engineering in college, at 17 I did a PLC in Journalism at 18 I went to study English in college and by 22 I had decided I couldn't see myself being an engineer, a journalist, a teacher or an academic, so currently I'm a 26 year old civil servant who still really hope to become a professional footballer when he grows up.

I hope your sister gets all that she needs from her exams Magicme and I hope she can cope with the loss of her friend and go on to be a great success.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast