Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Irish Independent

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Today's Irish Independent

The guys reporting on the game last night for the paper were clueless in their opinion pieces. Vincent Hogan, Daniel Mc Donnell and your man David Kelly are in my opinion utterly inadequate in their analysis. I thought that I should flag this for other site visitors so as to obtain thoughts on the matter? Your man who rated the players?? He has a hard on for Mc Geady or what? he can't give a rational mark as he seems blinded by his blatent subjectivity (5 out of 10 - Robbie 7?). what a jurno!! It's amazing he is even employed - as for the other two numbskulls?? Give me your opinion

Have a look at Sky Sports analysis and ratings David Kelly ya Idiot!!!!!!! Joe Callaghan of the Irish Daily Mail isn't far behind, I might add.
    Last edited by BigmanCas; 12/02/2009 at 8:32 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Read paper this morning and thought it was very harsh. Sure Ireland were poor at times but they showed great spirit to get the win. Would agree with you about Robbie Keane. I know he got the goals but he was poor overall last night compared to Kevin Doyle who ran his socks off. Very harsh for McGeady to get a rating of 5. Whelan and Andrews got 4. Thought they were better than this. They gave Shay 7 despite him having very little to do in game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viagogo View Post
    Would agree with you about Robbie Keane. I know he got the goals but he was poor overall last night compared to Kevin Doyle who ran his socks off.
    never a game goes by that our captain doesnt get this kind of tripe thrown at him. keane also ran his socks off and did what he's there to do and scored two goals. decent performance and at least as good as doyle

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Looking at his comments, I'd say he did the ratings at half time and then couldn't be bothered changing them all when Ireland caused him the inconvenience of coming back to win the game. Apart from Keanes which he had to change because he scored two goals so he gave him a 7.

Shoddy lazy journalism if Ive ever seen it...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Robbie Keane may not have played a blinder last night but he ran his socks off, as he always does for the cause.

The excitement on his face when he scored those goals shows what it means to him.

I don’t know what some people want from Keane but he scores goals and that is good enough for me.

With regard to the ratings I thought Mcgeady and Andrews were the best players on the pitch after Doyle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Almost choked on the train going into Belfast this morning when i opened it. I have no idea what game they were watching. Given and Keane were the only ratings i could see the merit of.

Giving Kelly 3 was plain insulting. He made a mistake on the goal but he wasn't the only one to blame. dunne or O'Shea should have dealt with it long before it got as far as him.

Same for Andrews and Whelan getting 4. They were worth 7 and 6 respectively imho. McGeady was the best player on the park and gets a 5.

Is the David Kelly that writes for them the same David Kelly that played for Wolves and scored against England to spark the riot at LR?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    No, diferent bloke, no ex-footballer of any note would have seen the game the way he reported it.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    Almost choked on the train going into Belfast this morning when i opened it. I have no idea what game they were watching. Given and Keane were the only ratings i could see the merit of.

Giving Kelly 3 was plain insulting. He made a mistake on the goal but he wasn't the only one to blame. dunne or O'Shea should have dealt with it long before it got as far as him.

Same for Andrews and Whelan getting 4. They were worth 7 and 6 respectively imho. McGeady was the best player on the park and gets a 5.

Is the David Kelly that writes for them the same David Kelly that played for Wolves and scored against England to spark the riot at LR?
    Yes I agee with you about Kelly laying the blame entirely at his door seems rather unfair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post

He certainly was in the second half, but in the first half he was dreadful only marignally better than Stephen Kelly. But how he got MOTM in front of Kevin Doyle is unbelieveable.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    He certainly was in the second half, but in the first half he was dreadful only marignally better than Stephen Kelly. But how he got MOTM in front of Kevin Doyle is unbelieveable.
    Superhoop - did you watch the game. Mc Geady insisted from the getgo to attack his man he was eager, willing and showed a hunger that aside from Doyle, nobody else on the team sustained for the full 90 minutes. I am sick, sore and tired of people who seem to have an inability to spot this quality in him. The naysayers and there are many in this little land of ours that have wrote Mc Geady off in the past are reluctant to change their minds on this performance. They are blinded by intransigence. These include you my friend. Stephan Kelly is substandard and the fact that you brought him into your argument reinforces my point. Open up man - give in - you are wrong.
    Last edited by BigmanCas; 12/02/2009 at 8:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    BigmanCas - I'm in complete agreement with your above post.

I have been saying for ages that McGeady is our best talent. Last nights match justifies this. He was by far our most potent threat. Hopefully last nights performance will be translated into a solid consistency from here on in!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I always get the impression that Hogan, Kelly and a little less so McDonell are writing for the non=football public. A bit like when RTE used to ask Pat Spillane for his views on Irish soccer. I just find their stuff unreadable. After watching the game I spoke with with a few Italian fans and they picked out Doyle and McGeady as our two best players. They warned me about playing Cyprus away. I declined to mention the 5-2 game.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    868 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigmanCas View Post
    Superhoop - did you watch the game. Mc Geady insisted from the getgo to attack his man he was eager, willing and showed a hunger that aside from Doyle, nobody else on the team sustained for the full 90 minutes. I am sick, sore and tired of people who seem to have an inability to spot this quality in him. The naysayers and there are many in this little land of ours that have wrote Mc Geady off in the past are reluctant to change their minds on this performance. They are blinded by intransigence. These include you my friend. Stephan Kelly is substandard and the fact that you brought him into your argument reinforces my point. Open up man - give in - you are wrong.
    Fair play, well said
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I like McDonnell, I think his heart is very much in the right place but is probably a bit on the young side to entrust your opinion on.

I've been a very vocal critic of Ireland's central midfield here for a long long time and thought that Andrews last night did a very good job at what a central midfilder should do, especially under Trap's system. What did I read this morning? David Kelly saying central midfield was "obliterated" and that the first goal - a long cross ball over everyone's head - was a fault of our midfield.

Moan off you miserable cnuts.

We have our BEST EVER WC qualification start and this is what you think? I give up on Ireland sometimes. What's wrong with enjoying the moment, enjoying the day? We won a game we deserved to win but could easily have lost. Fcuking great. If you want to be miserable then fcuk off and cover England, like you do 80% of the time anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigmanCas View Post
    Yes, I was at the game and am not alone with my take on McGeady's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by danonion View Post
    McGeady's delivery is diabolical
    Quote Originally Posted by BobtheDrog View Post
    better ball in from mcgeady? it was terrible
    Quote Originally Posted by conlonn View Post
    does mcgeady ever practice his crossing as he is a winger. jesus he is sooo over rated, no wonder he stayed at celtic.
    trap is going to have to make a sub or two, wonder if he knows how!
    Quote Originally Posted by shanekerins View Post
    Thanks Christ. Whelen at fault. Take off Duff, he's been as bad as McGeady but slower.
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    ....McGeadys delivery although better in the first half is still not good enough....
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    .....I thought McGeady was quite poor for the best part of an hour ....
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    ....... I was in the lower Hogan and didn't think McGeady or indeed anyone else got much abuse. There were groans and frustration in the first half when his final ball was poor after excellent approach work. He had a great second half.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    ...I know I'm not in line with the concensus view here but I didn't think McGeady was particularly excellent overall last night. In fact, I thought he had a relatively poor first half overall - despite some flashes of brilliance. That said, he jolted to life during the 2nd half and was a prominant contributor to us clawing back the game.....
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I would agree re: mcgeady, very poor first half didnt do a great deal in the second, HOWEVER he kept us attacking, kept up the momentum and had he not done this he woudln't have inspired the others to up their tempo and get about the pitch and look for ball. It was this that was his major contribution, when ireland were doing very he little he offered hope and kept things going. Very important in the overall scheme of things.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    watch the second half again in cold light of day, without the nerves we all felt watching it live, and tell me again he was poor.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    868 Posts
    Im in total disbelief that anyone thinks McGeady was poor last night. Dont know what more the lad has to do to silence his critics.Himself and Doyle were absolutely outstanding last night
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    stuttgart - do you have any link to a recording of the match?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Much better than Doyle in my opinion. I know i'm in minority on this but i didn't think Doyle was terrific last night. Pushed off the all very easily on a number of occasions, which surprised me as he must come across equally as physical marking in the Championship.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    No, sorry. Other than my SKY Sports subscription...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast