Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC's Top Keepers (No Given)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Buffon and Casillas were nominated for the FIFA player of the year. Given voted Casillas as his number 1 player (Ronaldo 2nd and Messi 3rd).
    Why did Given vote? I thought it was only the managers and captains?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1 View Post
    Have to say i think Given is totally overrated mostly by people in this country.
    I think he has some flaws in his game, probably which stop him moving to a club that can challenge for trophies. Have to say Buffon and Cassilas are one level above him.
    I think the only noticeable problem Shay has is with his kicking and distribution in general.

And a lot of top clubs want a keeper who will move the ball well to keep the flow going.

His injury plagued season last year probably isn't helping his cause either in terms of attracting top clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1 View Post
    Have to say i think Given is totally overrated mostly by people in this country.
    I think he has some flaws in his game, probably which stop him moving to a club that can challenge for trophies. Have to say Buffon and Cassilas are one level above him.
    The only flaw I've ever noticed is his kicking. Any others? Us fans can't really tell how good his vocal, organisational skills are but I think his managers and teammates can and they all seem rate him very highly. In terms of technical ability he's more than proven himself in the 100 odd games we've seen from him to be in the top class bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Why did Given vote? I thought it was only the managers and captains?
    Haven't a clue why Keane didn't vote.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    First let me qualify this statement by saying that I hardly ever see Italian football, but why does everyone rate Buffon so highly?

Does everyone watch considerably more Italian football than me? If so, where? Buffon has been injured for a while, previous to that, has been playing
    in a lower division, so why is he still always included in Best Keeper polls.

Ok, he has been a good keeper when I've seen him, and was a high transfer fee, but people write off Cech and Casillas and others based on current form or quality of opposition but Buffon seems to be imperviable to criticism.
    People judging him on reputation alone in my opinion.
    Casillas has been the best keeper in the world for the last 3 seasons. In my opinion.

Anyway, this is a bit off topic.

Are you serious? You really must not see any Italian football.

You can watch it for free on:
    http://atdhe.net/
    http://www.bet365.com
    http://www.rojadirecta.com/
    http://www.justin.tv/

"People judging him on reputation alone in my opinion."
    but you said yourself you don't see him play much. So what do you judge him on?

Buffon is a class above Casillas who is at least a class above the next nearest challengers (Cech, Shay, etc) IMO.

As well as "being injured" and "playing in a lower division" he has played in Serie A, the Champions League, the World Cup, the European Championships. Won Serie A several times, won the World Cup, captained his club and country on numerous occasions.

Watch him play. He's fit again now. You'll be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Casillas is the best goalkeeper in the world by a mile, no-one else comes close.
    I'm guessing you don't see too much Serie A either.
    Last edited by Mr Maroon; 17/01/2009 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Typical bbc nonsense of rating their own ridiculously better than others. Cech and VDS have had dodgy years and are nowhere near the top 4 in the world
    Right on the money there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Apparantly Given made brilliant save from Benni McCarthy's freekick a few minutes before Blackburn scored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Cech has been mediocre (by his standards) for the last year or so, but I've always rated Van der Sar. He has pulled off some great saves this year.

On current form Brad Friedel would have be considered for a top keepers poll.

Given is a great keeper but will always be hampered by playing for Newcastle.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Apparantly Given made brilliant save from Benni McCarthy's freekick a few minutes before Blackburn scored.
    http://www.zshare.net/video/543206262dac1b7a/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    Cech has been mediocre (by his standards) for the last year or so, but I've always rated Van der Sar. He has pulled off some great saves this year.

On current form Brad Friedel would have be considered for a top keepers poll.

Given is a great keeper but will always be hampered by playing for Newcastle.

In my opinion Reina has been the best keeper in the premiership this season, and possibly last season too. He seems be overlooked in this debate, getting only one mention.....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    I think Reina has played well this season in fairness but I still think he's an accident waiting to happen in a big game. He has rescued Liverpool at key times in tough games this season and has upped his game. I still don't think he's in the really top bracket though.

Cech was flapping at high balls and totally lacked authority from what I saw of Chelsea vs Stoke on MOTD. Poor communication with Alex (Cech's fault) for a Delap throw and dreadful footwork for an early corner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think Reina has played well this season in fairness but I still think he's an accident waiting to happen in a big game. He has rescued Liverpool at key times in tough games this season and has upped his game. I still don't think he's in the really top bracket though.

Cech was flapping at high balls and totally lacked authority from what I saw of Chelsea vs Stoke on MOTD. Poor communication with Alex (Cech's fault) for a Delap throw and dreadful footwork for an early corner.
    I agree with your assessment of Reina, but as you say it's hard to be too critical of him as he's been fairly solid for them this season.

In defence of Cech against Stoke, he's not the first keeper to have a nightmare against them!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I'd say the best years are behind Buffon, he's only played 5 matches for Juventus this season due to his back spasms, Manninger (ex Arsenal) is playing for them instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Typical bbc nonsense of rating their own ridiculously better than others. Cech and VDS have had dodgy years and are nowhere near the top 4 in the world.

Buffon, Frey, Akinfeev and Casillas are the only four that I'd consider comfortably better than Given.
    lol hes good but not that good.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    IMO Shay Given has been consistent with his form for as long as I can remember. But maybe people come to expect that from him. SHAY GIVEN IS NOT ERROR PRONE!!! I cant think of another keeper that makes on average 4 world class saves a game, couple that with his good handling, organisation, control of penalty area and contrary to public opinion his kicking is very accurate(can anyone highlight his so called poor kicking, remember his assist for Nzogbia a few weeks back, also he hits Kevin Doyle on the head in every Ireland game, thats our kick out ball.).
    Even as a young keeper he wasnt error prone. It is Fair to say that the other keepers (Buffon, Casillias) are world class but on the evidence (i.e. the displays we see week in week out for over 6 years) Shay Given is as good as anyone. Shay always declared himself happy at Newcastle and this probably ensured he never got a big move....if he was at a bigger club he would have got a lot more recognition. When he is gone from Newcastle and Ireland in particular we will notice the void.
    Finally, I feel some one like Reina is too young to be considered world class, without doubt he will mature but at the moment his management of the penalty area is very poor...fact!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think Given could go this in this transfer window with MC the most likely. How he can not be demoralised at Newcastle is beyond me, they are a nothing club that goes from crisis to crisis. Yet another disasterous result on sat.

Cech was very error prone on sat, Andy Gray commented last night that he doesnt believe that Cech has been as good since his injury. Its rare you see Given come for a cross and at least not get some sort of decent connection on it. Cech has flapped at many a cross this season.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Typical bbc nonsense of rating their own ridiculously better than others. Cech and VDS have had dodgy years and are nowhere near the top 4 in the world.

Buffon, Frey, Akinfeev and Casillas are the only four that I'd consider comfortably better than Given.

I dunno about Akinfeev, he has the ability but his decision making can let him down in big games. At 22 time is still very much on his side, he's captain for CSKA now (assuming Zico doesnt change that) and will be in the Champions League next season. All the other national team goalies Malafeev, Ryzhikov, Gaboulov are older and well behind him the selection order...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donalmcdonagh View Post
    IMO Shay Given has been consistent with his form for as long as I can remember. But maybe people come to expect that from him. SHAY GIVEN IS NOT ERROR PRONE!!! I cant think of another keeper that makes on average 4 world class saves a game, couple that with his good handling, organisation, control of penalty area and contrary to public opinion his kicking is very accurate(can anyone highlight his so called poor kicking, remember his assist for Nzogbia a few weeks back, also he hits Kevin Doyle on the head in every Ireland game, thats our kick out ball.).
    Even as a young keeper he wasnt error prone. It is Fair to say that the other keepers (Buffon, Casillias) are world class but on the evidence (i.e. the displays we see week in week out for over 6 years) Shay Given is as good as anyone. Shay always declared himself happy at Newcastle and this probably ensured he never got a big move....if he was at a bigger club he would have got a lot more recognition. When he is gone from Newcastle and Ireland in particular we will notice the void.
    Finally, I feel some one like Reina is too young to be considered world class, without doubt he will mature but at the moment his management of the penalty area is very poor...fact!!

you sound like a stalker

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    so you agree with me then!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Buffon wins 'keeping crown

Monday 19 January, 2009
    Juventus star Gigi Buffon is the best goalkeeper in football history, according to the International Federation of Football History and Statistics.

The IFFHS is an organisation that uses statistical data to analyse and classify footballers and clubs.

While their studies are widely respected, they also have their detractors who feel football cannot be reduced to a series of numbers.

According to their latest study of goalkeepers, Azzurri No 1 Buffon beats former Manchester United and Denmark custodian Peter Schmeichel to the all-time 'keeping crown.

Spanish shot-stopper Iker Casillas was awarded third place with German legend Oliver Kahn in fourth and Paraguayan international Jose Luis Chilavert in fifth spot.

Buffon was awarded the IFFHS' best goalkeeper award in 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007.

channel4.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I think Given's very good but he's not the best in the Premiership.

Reina, Friedel and James have all been better this season. Cech is not as good as he used to be but he's still a very good keeper. Jaaskelainen and Green are also two very good keepers. VDS is over-rated though.

He's definitely nowhere near the top four in the world.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast