Thanked in
    0 Posts

City Edition for UCD game

Cork City v UCD
    Match Day Programme 24.10.03

Contents

City Centre All the latest from CCFC

Eircom League Figured Out All the stats on the current season

Great Memories of Cork Football Brendan McKenna recalls some Leeside Legends

To the Depths of Basel! It wasn’t all doom and gloom in Switzerland…for some Irish fans!

U21 Update Joe Hurley has the latest as City go head-to-head with Kerry for group honours

Dream on Another strange visit into the thoughts of Jerry Kelly

Final Countdown Dave Galvin previews next Sunday’s blue riband decider

The Perfectionist Alan Hayes profiles Eddie McGeough who doubles up as referees assessor and Turners Cross groundsman

Plus:
    City-Students Quiz
    City Honours
    City League Records
    City Lotto Results
    Club Shop Price List
    Cork City match schedule
    From the Chairman’s Desk Brian Lennox has his say…
    League results between City & UCD All of them…!
    Match Day Mascot
    Message from the Manager Pat Dolan gives his views…’lukewarm’ does not apply!
    Who’s Who in Sky Blue Meet the Belfield Boys
    Noelle’s Notes The latest City’s Community Liaison Officer Noelle Feeney
    Photos: Quality shots from our team of snappers
    Squad lists See who’s lining out for City & The Students and what shirt number Mr N****wo and Mr Ukoh will wear…
    Supporters News The latest from the Family Enclosure…and the CCISA, now that that holiday in Thailand is over!
    U21 Fixture list & current table
    Weekend’s other games around the country…
    Where’s Me Shirt? Who is the latest far-flung City fans?
    Chances to win tickets to Jazz Festival and next home game v Longford Town!!

Neil
    Maad photo on the front cover!

http://www.eirways.com/citynet/galle...24_ucd/cover15

Nice one!
    That's from Longford away is it?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Absolutely class photo.
    Georgie is a legend...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Perfectionist Alan Hayes profiles Eddie McGeough who doubles up as referees assessor and Turners Cross groundsman
    Why? Who cares what these muppets do? I thought the thing which glorified Foley was a disgrace. It really ruined the program last time. I hope they dont have this rubbish as a regular feature, as it would turn me off buying the prog altogether.(not that i buy it that often anyway )
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Originally posted by Gary
    Why? Who cares what these muppets do? I thought the thing which glorified Foley was a disgrace. It really ruined the program last time. I hope they dont have this rubbish as a regular feature, as it would turn me off buying the prog altogether.(not that i buy it that often anyway )

Don't think that's really fair, Gary. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's rubbish, in all honesty - you haven't even read it yet! I can accept you don't like it, fair enough, but to state it's crap simply because it doesn't appeal to you is well off the mark.

If that was the way with everything, we could include nothing as you'll always find someone to believe a particular subject is rubbish. Why bother at all then?

If we had a 'hands up' for people in this country who think the League of Ireland is rubbish, well, we might just as well fold it up and put it away right now.

Why bother with a fanzine as, I'm sure, loads of people think that's rubbish?

In the programme we've tried to cover all aspects of the game. Match officials, like it or not, are part of the game. We've tried other stuff too. We asked the PFAI to pen a piece or two from their point of view on different things. And then we asked them again. And then we asked them another time, and then we didn't bother any more.

Chill out, Gary. Try playing a match without referees...they're part of the game, end of story. And, IMO, I don't think the article on Eddie Foley 'glorified' him. Again, like it or not - and regardless of how anyone feels he performed at the time - the guy participated in European and World Cup finals, something that our players (unfortunately) are highly unlikely to emulate. The piece also mentioned the time he failed to show up for a game; glorified? Don't make me laugh...

As for who cares? Well, there is a refereeing community out there - I'm sure they care. I'm sure their families/friends/workmates care etc, etc

It's a funny thing but since we've started including the programme contents here on foot.ie, which is just a service to fans to let them know what's included, all that's produced is a stream of negative comment usually before the perceived 'offending' article has even seen daylight.

I think you've got the muppet thing wrong this time, Gary...

Donie
    Last edited by The Donie Forde; 24/10/2003 at 8:25 AM.
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    donie
    the matchday mag this season is a credit to both you and all concerned
    really something to be proud of
    i'm still amazed you can fill all that content in and still have room for all the ads

any chance of getting the player interviews going again, they're the job like

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Originally posted by James
    donie
    the matchday mag this season is a credit to both you and all concerned
    really something to be proud of
    i'm still amazed you can fill all that content in and still have room for all the ads

any chance of getting the player interviews going again, they're the job like
    Thanks, James. Appreciate that. The player interviews have in fact been a regular feature this season...though there's none tonight as we rewarded Joe with a well-deserved junket to Tralee and he forgot to do one before he flew out...

Joe - and Jerry Kelly - have done a series of cracking interviews over the past few months, IMO.

Thanks again,

Donie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Originally posted by The Donie Forde
    and he forgot to do one before he flew out...
    hmm almost sounds like you're implying joe makes up the interviews

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Donie...The Mag is a good publicatuon

I for one don't buy a programme or matchday mag because every single article appeals to me..just like newspapers

I buy read what I like or think is interesting in it and make an opinion whether to buy it again

Keep up the good work

If ye weren't doing it then they would be giving it loads about how the club needs a mag etc...let the fanzine 451 ( which is top notch as well lads) slag the refs etc and do the funny stuff along with the very serious.....
    Bring back the plank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I think the kind of piece that Bernie's highlighted and Gary attacked actually adds to the mag.

personally, i think it's good that we get to have a peep at those behind the scenes at city, Eddie McGeough deserves a bit if recognition for the job he does at the cross, even Sam Allardyce complimented the ground when he was over with Bolton. just because he doubles as a referee assessor doesn't merit the 'rubbish article' kneejerk reaction.

.....oh, and the cover photo is class

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    wasnt having a go at the programme at all. I was having a go more at Foley than anything else, but still, i dont think a review of refs adds to the quality of the mag in any way shape or form.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    wasnt having a go at the programme at all. I was having a go more at Foley than anything else, but still, i dont think a review of refs adds to the quality of the mag in any way shape or form.
    Gary, you're entitled to your opinion - I'd never dispute that. We have to cater for a broader audience on the programme front, not just what individuals want, so we try to vary the content as much as possible. If that's a fault, fair enough. But I still think the 'rubbish' comments were a bit out of line...

If you just want to have a go at a match official, maybe do it in a specific thread? Or get some 'assistant referee-obsession therapy'...

Donie

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    eL programmes have the responsibility of previewing the matches and filling in the game left by the fact there is no eL mag in the league. I think City Edition is the best in the league and that's not just because I'm City through and through.
    Some efforts on the behalf of other clubs just aren't as good layout and content wise and if it doesn't win the Programme Award thing this year, it's a fix!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    as it would turn me off buying the prog altogether.(not that i buy it that often anyway )
    out of curiousity, what would turn you into a regular buyer? anything?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Conor74
    How about a free 'Hits of the 80s' cd with every copy...well it works with Sunday newspapers...
    people only buy those papers to look at the pictures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    ya georgie is a ledgend just like em let me see the salmon nof knowledge
    j'accuse!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i WILL reply to this when i get the chance.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry

Who cares what these muppets do?

Well we know what you think anyway don't we.

Muppets?? Gary grow up.

Referees are just normal people who are brave enough and thick skinned enough to put up with the crap that they take every week.

It's idiotic people making idiotic comments like Why? Who cares what these muppets do? I thought the thing which glorified Foley was a disgrace. It really ruined the program last time. I hope they dont have this rubbish as a regular feature, as it would turn me off buying the prog altogether that make it so difficult for us to recruit and retain referees.

I sent those two articles to The Donie Forde and asked him to publish them.

Why?

Highlighting what people can achieve as referees helps us to recruit more referees. Anyone who plays junior, senior or schoolboy football in any part of the country knows that the age profile of referees is very high and we need to attract younger people into refereeing.

Through the irishreferees.com website and articles in newspapers and eL programmes we hope to communicate with new potential referees.

Eddie Foley was an assistant referee at the World Cup in France, the European Championships in Holland/Belgium, a Champions League Quarter Final, a Cup Winners Cup Quarter Final, numerous FAI Cup Semi-Finals and the FAI Cup Final this year.

How many Irish footballers have a list of achievements like that?

If people know that this is what they can achieve by taking up the whistle then we might get more referees and in turn more people get a game of ball on a weekend. No referee no game.

Why?

Eddie Foley is the only assistant referee from this country to ever make it on to the panel of Elite FIFA Assistant Referees.

He is also the only assistant referee from this country to ever go to the World Cup.

And he is the only assistant referee from this country to ever go to the European Championships.

He is probably the most successful referee in this country ever and he is a Cork man. He is an eircom League referee and referees at local level in the Cork AUL.

He has refereed in both the AUL and Munster Senior League for a number of years and is well known by many teams and players.

Therefore why not have the article in the Cork City programme?

You might be small minded and not care but a lot of Cork City fans have told me they enjoyed the article.

It really ruined the program last time.
    I'm lost for words with that one Gary. ………..H..O..W..????????

I hope they dont have this rubbish as a regular feature, as it would turn me off buying the prog altogether.(not that i buy it that often)

The Cork City match day magazine is one of the best in the League. Would you prefer a team sheet and nothing else?

Ah I'm sick of this.

If anybody didn't see the Eddie Foley article and is interested, you can read it here.