Thanked in
    57 Posts

Iceland in the playoff

Iceland it is. not too bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Iceland will be warm favourites but we must have a chance. Better than a trip to Ukraine or Russia anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    It was going be someone good no matter what.
    Slovenia good a great 2-1 win against Iceland early in their group. For that one result alone I wanted Slovenia to make the play-offs.
    Iceland lost only once to France. They won in Reykjavik won 1-0.

RoI's games in the States must give them some confidence those read like some good performances.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/woc...id=758510.html
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...k=view&id=3665
    "The Irish will host Iceland in the first leg, play off on Sunday 26th October at Tolka Park, before travelling to Iceland for the return leg on Thursday 30th October..."

RoI are worthy 3rd place finishers so I'm glad they got an extra step and a crack at another strong team after Italy and Sweden.
    Last edited by HarpoJoyce; 06/10/2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: there, their, that and those; added link added stuff
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Sorry lads and lassies, it's Iceland ladies for me.
    I have gone to a few of their games with my daughter, it's been great stuff. They are a top team, skillful, some scary tackling and a taste for the spectacular.

Check out the throw in technique on 3.10 mins followed by that "tackle" on 3.20 mins

Iceland 5 Slovenia 0
    Last edited by geysir; 06/10/2008 at 8:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    The team look good- not sure about the Billy Joel cover version

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    The first leg is due to be played at Richmond Park.
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...k=view&id=3665
    "2009 UEFA European Women's Championship play-off fixtures
    Republic of Ireland v Iceland
    Sunday 26th October
    Richmond Park
    Kick-off: 3 pm "
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Finished 1-1 today for people that didn't already hear.

Was at the game and being brutally honest was disappointed with the Irish performance. It was my first time seeing a Senior Irish International game and was a bit stunned by it all. However high Iceland are in the ratings in comparison to the Irish I didn't think Iceland were a great team. They had no real opportunities, they lacked it up front. They did have a good back four and they were physically bigger and stronger than us player for player but thats normally the case. So why couldn't Ireland finish them or start them in all seriousness??!

Yvonne Tracey and Niamh Fahy didn't put a foot wrong and were very solid in the back. Aine O' Gorman played well along with Michelle O' Brien and in my opinion were the only two attacking players that had a bit of bite, worked hard and passion to win the game. The rest were mere passengers. The midfield was disappointing, everytime they recieved the ball they played it back to the defenders who in turn either hoofed it or lost it trying to pick a difficult pass. There was no threading through of balls, no little chips over the top no creativity. Ciara Grant was disappointing and Stephaine Curtis may have scored but thats all she did. De Burca is a lovely player but why was she playing left back? Is she not a midfielder? Why isn't a natural left back in the squad to fill this position if De Burca can't get into midfield? Curtis caused De Burca even more pressure by not tracking back.

I don't want to be negative saying this because more than anything I would love to see us qualify for the Euros but I was seriously disppointed. The bench also had no attacking options either!! Why isn't Marie Curtin in the squad any longer does anybody know? I know from experience she is a tough cookie, can tackle and has great vision something the midfield were without today.

I think the Irish set up is gone complacent, this was the biggest match in Irish Womens history and most of the midfield were too relaxed, not busting their back sides to press the oppostion, not putting in tackles to try win the ball. I def think there is better players in this country that could push players in that team. No doubt. And maybe thats what King has to do, open his eyes and see the gifted players throughout the country and frighten the regulars to fight for their positions.

And speaking to people after the game there was all round agreement. These are people that don't get a chance to get to see many Intenational games because of travel and were also baffled by the players selected ability.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    The outdoor pitch has been declared unplayable in Reykjavik for the Thursday return leg, powder snow covering but temp is from -3C to -10C.
    There are 2 full size indoor pitches which can accomodate about 5,000 each but they don't pass Uefa standards for this level.
    The rules state that the home team have 2 days to rearrange.
    The weather is due to get above freezing on Friday.
    I don't know what happens if the game can´t be played then, a 3 nil to Ireland?
    or play it in the Faroes? Scotland?

It would be a travesty if this Iceland team does not go through ahead of Ireland, who they would easily beat on de-iced home turf.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Niamh Fahy.

Well i know Niamh Fahy is playing for Arsenal on Saturday in a European game so if the game was re-arranged for Friday her club would be pretty pi""ed off.Ireland were lucky yesterday by all accounts.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agree with most of what you say Beour.
    De Burca is a good club player but nowhere near international standard. Poor first touch cost the first goal. The other full back is no better. Both gave yards of space to their attackers. Curtis took her goal well but is a one trick wonder and adds nothing to the team. What system was King playing? There never semed to be a centre forward until Olivia came on. O'Brien is a decent player but has to go outfield to win a ball. In a game of this importance Ireland should have blitzed Iceland from the start. How can you score goals when you have no attackers. I agree the midfield was poor. How is Sonya Hughes in the team? Ciara Grant has been a great player but is struggling now at this level. Were Edel Malone and Marie Curtin not released by their college?
    You are right about there being plenty of better players in the country. Unfortunately the management team are not interested in travelling around to see games or even to hold trials. More and more non-Irish girls are being selected. Do they go abroad to watch these players?
    It is the slowest international team I've ever seen. Our underage teams are doing well of late and some of the players should be brought in on a gradual basis.
    It appears to me that King is more interested in "losing honourably" or getting a 0-0 or 1-1 draw than really going for it and looking for a win.
    Lets stop crowding the defense, particularly at home, and try to score goals and win games.
    Being fair to Noel he has improved the game in Ireland. We are faring better than previously but there is a level above our play that we will never aspire to while we think only defensively and dont learn to attack and go in search of goals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I thought we did well. Disasterous start conceding in the first 30 seconds.

We were well worth the draw in the 2nd half. I wouldn't rule out qualifying yet but Iceland must be favourites. Olivia O'Toole was a real difference coming off the bench. She may be 37 but had that touch of class. The keeper made a great save to deny her the winner from a freekick.

A huge improvement from the Sweden home game.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ya thats another point I wanted to touch on Libero. How is it that all these American players have been recruited yet no new Irish blood in the entire 26 counties cannot supposedly do the job? It baffles me I know from personal experience and thats playing for my province both club and colleges, in the colleges premier league and with a senior status club that there is huge talent in Ireland that hasn't been given the recognition that they deserved. I stated previously on Foot that if you haven't been on the 19's or a household name in soccer circles then you will never get the chance to represent your country which is sad considering most women don't peak til early 20's. Can anyone from the FAI travel outside of Dublin for games? Attend various league games or college games to keep track on players? And even more so from a financial perspective see if the money they are pumping into development is actually working or are they willing to keep pouring money in and not see the results whether this is good or bad.

As for Olivia O' Toole, apart from the free kick she didn't have much of an impact. She is due all the respect she deserves with the record she holds but its time to hold up our hands and say thats it give somebody else a chance and thats said with the utmost respect. Ciara Grant is threading along that line as well I feel with her contribution being below international standard on Sunday. Sharon Boyle on the bench?

I think if thats the best performance on Sunday and thats the best players in the country and is described in the media as well as on here as being good then womens soccer in Ireland is at a poor standard and I have being wearing rose tinted glasses when I thought there was better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 37Beour View Post
    Can anyone from the FAI travel outside of Dublin for games? Attend various league games or college games to keep track on players? And even more so from a financial perspective see if the money they are pumping into development is actually working or are they willing to keep pouring money in and not see the results whether this is good or bad.
    Agree totally with you 37beour as i myself too play in college league and also club soccer. have seen many players that could easily be challenging for places in the irish squad if given the chance.
    how about these new fai development officers that have been placed in colleges around ireland this yr, will these be used as a means of spotting players or are the FAI just squandering money.
    "Don't lower your expectations to meet your performance. Raise your level of performance to meet your expectations".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 37Beour View Post
    As for Olivia O' Toole, apart from the free kick she didn't have much of an impact.
    I'm amazed at the difference of opinion. I thought she looked a class above those on the pitch. I thought she also setup the goal (could be wrong on this one). She looked different class on the ball and played some lovely passes. The freekick was a great effort.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    wasn't at the game, but i'd guess that the reason "domestic" girls aren't selected has a lot to do with fitness levels AND standard of leagues that players are in. in midlands league, you might get close to 10 games in a year,and a small few are competitive. i see a few limerick posters on this thread, so how many of ur matches are more one-sided than when u play a lifford match or wfai senior cup??

hard to come watch a player playing for mullinagr athletic v killavilla, and guess she could be an internationl standard??

HOWEVER, why is there not a facility where an open, annual trail can be held, requesting the TOP players in any local league to attend,and MAKE THE EFFORT to spot players. Maybe then keep tabs on them,maybe have a u23 or b team level match to see if they could cut it?

The money for this could come from saving on one foreign scouting mission, if they occur??

It would appear that u can only get into senior squad by emerging from u19's or being on world student games squad, so opebn trial could also be another option to see whats out there?

just a coupl of thoughts.

ps i don't think there are as many TOP level college players out there. the ones i know spend a lot of time in clubs and pubs, there is more of a social aspect to the colleges than sports, at least more now than there used to be. and i'm not saying that ALL college players are boozers, but hey, they're not all tee-total either are they??

alcohol,poor diet, infrequent/non competitive matches and trainings are not the recipie for an international footballer, do you really know of an ELITE level player who isn't on the radar??

If so, announce them!!!

I hope we beat iceland!!

and hard luck to u17's
    "as always i will be focused on coaching and training my team" Rafa B

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The standard of leagues in Ireland isn't great and I can only give a Munster perspective because thats what I participate in buts thats womens soccer in Ireland due to poor development and the money being pumped in won't see the fruitation of it I believe for another 10years! And the case a couple of league games can be slightly one sided but they are never easy I can tell you....we beat the bottom of the league team this year only 2-0. And Lifford? Our club has been training solid for the last 4 years taken only 2 weeks off at Christmas every year, Lifford and others in the league used to slap us 9-0, following year 5-0 and the trend has being going like that til we finally beat them this year. I personally think its what teams put in and the work players do but there is no reward. If the FAI just didn't presume there was no players in the rest of the country other than players already in the Irish set up with the 'names'!!! And they are trying to rectify the problem in junior level with the elite training camps and I do think thats a brilliant idea.

And what a very stereotypical view you have of students. I know for a fact every team in the Premier league take it incredibly serious and prob some more in lower leagues I can't say because I haven't experienced them. Its def about pride up in that league and all players are very committed so on that point I DEF don't agree on!

Can you honestly say by looking at the team sheets for the Icelands game there isn't better out there? I think some of the names are there for past graces and again because they are a name! The game on Sunday had no heart, no one willing to pour sweat for the Irish jersey bar O' Gorman, O' Brien, Tracey and Fahy!

Take a trip to any top rival clubs games around the country or even to a drunk student college game and you will then see heart, fight and determenation as well as high class football.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

i think you are slightly missing my point regarding college; i tried to make record that i didn't say all players were drunken clowns, i hope it didnt come over that way.

The point i want to bring up is that if you take the college lifestyle in ireland, and compare that to even uk/france or usa college set ups, its very different. Can you seriously say that there are players in your team that train 3-4 times a week, combine with gym work, proper diet, regular fitness testing etc the way an ELITE/INTERNATIONAL athlete should prepare??

far be it for me to say that the senior selection might be a little stale/stagnant, but consider that the pool of players being selected ARE making the above commitment to being an international.

Ask any u19 player you know, and she will tell you that fitness levels are a huge demand to be part of the squad. ask any of the few colleges girls that have made world student games squad how do they compare to non-irish colleges players, and they'll tell u the difference in fitness levels.

believe me, i understand that there is a HUGE level of commitment during college matches/trainings, but its what happens OFF the pitch is where the main differences are.

maybe the fai should be more active is showing a pathway for these kind of players, so that a girl can use the college season to push herself/develop herself, and make the step up to elite level.

when u won your last college match, did most of the squad go out on beer afterwards,house party etc? Also, i've heard that ucd have 2 new players in, and all of a sudden they are CONTENDERS, so it doesnt take too much to improve your standing if all it takes are 2 new players to come in? they beat sligo 4-1 and all u hear is about mary & louise and that ucd can win it all!!

so i don't mean in ANY way to put down the efforts of players in college, but its not quite as high level as you think.

It is however the only version of a NATIONAL LEAGUE that we have, and that my fellow poster, is WHERE THE FAI NEED TO INVEST THEIR MONEY, OPEN UP THE CHANNELS FOR ALL FEMALE PLAYERS OUT THERE TO BE SEEN, AND SAY HEY, THERE ARE TALENTED PLAYERS IN OUR DOMESTIC LEAGUES!!

FAI WOMENS NATIONAL LEAGUE, begins september 2018!!!
    "as always i will be focused on coaching and training my team" Rafa B

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I think the game will go ahead this evening as planned,
    weather is clear, bright and sunny.
    And it looks like the whole football family got involved with clearing the pitch of most of the snow yesterday

The poor underfoot conditions for skillful football will not suit the home team who would be normally expected to stroll this game by 3 or 4 goals.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    3 nil in the end, could have been about 6 nil to the Icelandic ladies
    I was chaperone to a bunch of older teenage girls. My ears haven't had such a pounding since a Rory Gallagher concert at the stadium, back in the day.
    Hard to pick out a decent Irish lass, RB nr 2 certainly did her best and nr 4 never gave up.
    The Irish ladies were outclassed everywhere and when on the ball were simply dispossesed without even a tackle. They only had one chance in the whole game and apart from that never threatened, never even got close. It was a dream game for the locals
    Irish goalie was lobbed for nr 1, she was badly out of position. She had no chance with nr 2, a glancing header. For nr 3 she went running out to the corner of the box when there was a defender, left the whole goal exposed, simply awful goalkeeping that made me groan something primeval. Other than that she was good with one superb save.

At no time, from the kick off to the end, were the Irish ladies in with the remotest of chances. It was a reduce the margin of defeat for them, right from the kick off. They have quite a bit to go before getting through to the top 12 in Europe. They were battered on skill, on tactics and on the physicalities. So naive as well, the run of the mill push in the back that they made so obvious that it could be spotted from outer space, 2 or 3 throw ins in their own half go straight to the feet of their opponents, so many passes into space- real space.
    It was strange enough to be cheering against the country of your birth but it's very doable, there is just is no doubt at all, not even a twinge, now I know some of Jacks emotions when we beat the English in Stuttgart.
    It was a night of high emotion for the natives who turned up in their thousands, with that type of 'we are on the way to the finals and we wont be moved' atmosphere right from kick off. Loads of families, extended families, just non stop exhortations and tears at the end.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

ahh the FAI

so have u seen the two every dif match reports for the ireland game last nite??

FAI.IE "Iceland were ahead after 24 minutes through the boot of Dóra María Lárusdóttir who ran on to a half clearance from the Irish defence at the edge of the box, her looping shot dropped dropped under the crossbar to give her side the lead"

FOOT.IE "Irish goalie was lobbed for nr 1, she was badly out of position"

FAI.IE "but Emma Byrne was in outstanding form in goal" " Iceland doubled their lead on the hour mark as midfielder, Lárusdóttir crossed from the right and striker, Vidarsdóttir was on hand at the near post to nod her effort past Byrne"

FOOT.IE "She had no chance with nr 2, a glancing header"

FAI "Iceland wrapped up the scoring after 69 minutes as Lárusdóttir grabbed her second of the night, she ran on to a clever throughball and raced past Irish defender, Meabh de Burcha and as Emma Byrne tried to close down her angle, she cleverly powered the ball into the top left hand corner to make it 3-0."

FOOT " For nr 3 she went running out to the corner of the box when there was a defender, left the whole goal exposed, simply awful goalkeeping that made me groan something primeval"

FAI "The Irish came out after the half-time break with a confident style of play as they pushed up deep and took the game to their opponents."

FOOT " At no time, from the kick off to the end, were the Irish ladies in with the remotest of chances. It was a reduce the margin of defeat for them, right from the kick off."

Need I even mention that they reported that Noel played 4.3.3 on Sunday?? He no more play 4 3 3 than Russell Brand didn't roger Manuel's granddaughter! Michelle O Brien might as well have pulled up a table and chair she was so isolated.

Ladies and Gentlemen, propaganda is still well and truely in swing in the media today. Goebbels would be so proud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast