Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eircom end title sponsorship of the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Thought the league was going for a champions league style sponsorship with multiple companies and not having a title sponsor?
    They already have eircom and Boyle sports announced (the two of them together add up to the title sponsors money from this year) and I know they have 1 more deal done but not yet announced and are looking at 2 others.

That means that the league will receive €600,000 more next year than this year in sponsorship. Surely thats a good thing?
    Last edited by Titan; 18/09/2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Tidy up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Thought the league was going for a champions league style sponsorship with multiple companies and not having a title sponsor?
    They already have eircom and Boyle sports announced (the two of them together add up to the title sponsors money from this year) and I know they have 1 more deal done but not yet announced and are looking at 2 others.

That means that the league will receive €600,000 more next year than this year in sponsorship. Surely thats a good thing?
    Definitely, that great news ..... and they should be given credit for it too.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuisaSaigon View Post
    What does that mean? No phone bills?
    It's probably mainly to do with the free wireless access they set up in LoI grounds. Very handy for journos, I imagine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    I agree with face while i am unhappy with some aspects of JD leadership the league could and should continue to be a better product under him ,and while JD have made errors of judgement the biggest stumbling block to improvment is the clubs themsleves
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Where are you getting the 600k from?

Eircom 'communications sponsors' are putting up 200k

Boylesports 'betting partners' are putting up 75k.

Grand total of 275k.

No other muliple/joint/two-bit sponsors have been announced or signed up yet (with no money amounts either).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan Cassidy View Post
    Where are you getting the 600k from?

Eircom 'communications sponsors' are putting up 200k

Boylesports 'betting partners' are putting up 75k.

Grand total of 275k.

No other muliple/joint/two-bit sponsors have been announced or signed up yet (with no money amounts either).
    Are you sure its only €75k from Boylesports? Cos I think it will be €200k when the full deal is announced.

I said that one other had been signed up but not announced. This is correct and yes I know who it is and no I'm not going to tell you!

I also said that 2 others were being spoken to. I should have made clear I suppose that if you beleive me then the total will be €1m which is €600k more than the league currently gets. Of course you dont have to beleive me if you dont want to!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Does this multiple sponsors plan mean that the league will just be called the League of Ireland or some such rather than *Sponsor* League?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Eh, yes there is.
    Recession = 2 consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth. We haven't had any yet. Economic dowturn/slowdown is what you're referring to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Does this multiple sponsors plan mean that the league will just be called the League of Ireland or some such rather than *Sponsor* League?

I think thats the plan!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Are you sure its only €75k from Boylesports? Cos I think it will be €200k when the full deal is announced.

I said that one other had been signed up but not announced. This is correct and yes I know who it is and no I'm not going to tell you!

I also said that 2 others were being spoken to. I should have made clear I suppose that if you beleive me then the total will be €1m which is €600k more than the league currently gets. Of course you dont have to beleive me if you dont want to!
    Quote attributed to Delaney in the Indo this morning:

"I don't wish to speculate as to whether there will be a title sponsor or not," said Delaney. "I have a very clear mind where we're at.

"In the past, we allocated €400,000 of the Eircom sponsorship towards the league. They will now be communications sponsor for €200,000 and we have Boylesports [betting partners] who are giving a commitment of €75,000.

I'll take a raincheck on what both you & Mr Delaney promise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    personally, think the delaney fella is doin good for the league of ireland....dont listen to roy keane or any international fans. most people think he#s ****e cause he appointed staunton or any bad decisions as regards the international fold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Delaney is full of spin, losing a blue chip company as the main sponsor of the league is not a good thing ! What did he say he urged them to take a step back ! Official communication partner what is that exactly? Will they being handing over €200k a year or is this just blarney? that clubs can send these free tets out?

What matters in the FAI's yes is the national team that is where they make their money and that is what Delaney only thinks about.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by niallsparky View Post
    Recession = 2 consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth. We haven't had any yet. Economic dowturn/slowdown is what you're referring to.
    ESRI report - "Thus Ireland will experience a recession for the first time since 1983." GNP and GDP down 0.4%. That was three months ago, so we're presumably due for a third consecutive quarter.

The deal being done sounds good if the terms end up being anything like what's being mentioned. Course, the media will see it (and already have seen it) as the death knell for the league...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    well if you think about it, everytime the words "cash strapped" "examinership" and "overspending" are mentioned (only real media coverage of the league bar mns) so is Eircom, what company in their right mind would want their name associated with that!
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the-blue-harp View Post
    well if you think about it, everytime the words "cash strapped" "examinership" and "overspending" are mentioned (only real media coverage of the league bar mns) so is Eircom, what company in their right mind would want their name associated with that!
    Thats fair enough and i agree with you but was the whole idea of the FAI bringing in the measures they did was to create and i quote Mr John Delaney on this "A more transparent league".

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipsahoy View Post
    personally, think the delaney fella is doin good for the league of ireland....dont listen to roy keane or any international fans. most people think he#s ****e cause he appointed staunton or any bad decisions as regards the international fold
    care to mention then what exactly the Muppet has done then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I'm looking forward to the possibility of people calling it the League of Ireland for a change.. I never liked the term 'Eircom League' too much. At what point does eircomloi.ie not become eircomloi.ie then?

P.S. - the news story on that website state:

"Separately, eircom will become the Official Communications Partner of the League of Ireland, extending eircom’s relationship with the League of Ireland under the newly restructured commercial partnership agreements."
    Nothing about eircom not being title sponsor anymore..

http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/...s-32/index.xml
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12