Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New All-Ireland League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

New All-Ireland League

ok so i have a few points some people might be able to help with if this goes ahead.

who decided the 10 teams that were going to participate ? galway united and even more puzzling limerick fc ??? then what happens to the other league teams...what then for them ? i just dont see how its going to operate yet....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    i just dont see how its going to operate yet....
    No one does, if indeed it ever does. There have just been occasional details leaked of what the current proponents of an AIL are thinking. There are no concrete details of an AIL or who might play in it yet, if ever.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ok so i have a few points some people might be able to help with if this goes ahead.

who decided the 10 teams that were going to participate ? galway united and even more puzzling limerick fc ??? then what happens to the other league teams...what then for them ? i just dont see how its going to operate yet....
    they want limerick cos there potential in the city if it got its ship in order ... a team doin wel in the city coul draw crowds of 3-5000 regularly which u couldnt say about alot of teams..

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Couldn't say it about Limerick either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Couldn't say it about Limerick either.
    they have ALOT better chance of doing that then ucd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Nope. Zero chance is the same as zero chance.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nope. Zero chance is the same as zero chance.
    when limerick were top 6 a couple years back (big sam days) ..there were gettin alot more than alot of prem teams are today

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    does this need another new thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    A couple of years back? That's 10-15 years ago.

How do you know what their attendances were back then? Very easy to say "I remember crowds of 4000" and there were only 1500.

And they (like any other LoI club) could quite posisbly get decent crowds for a season or two while they're doing exceptionally well. It's the seasons where you're in the doldrums - mid-table or fighting against relegation - when the local support will leave. So for the foreseeable future, I can only see the top two or three clubs in the league - whoever they are - getting anywhere near 3000-5000. Just like now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    does this need another new thread?
    why not - dont post in it if u dont want to.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah it's a strange one alright - can't see the likes of Linfield being too mad up for it either and no doubt there'd be quite a high potential of trouble when they are playing certain teams (and no I don't mean Wexford Youths) down here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    why not - dont post in it if u dont want to.
    I'm not only making the comment due to consistent manner of this subject coming up but also the fact that there is already a thread on this subject already on the front page of this forum

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Duggie, take a look at the "AIL on the long finger thread" for more comment on this.

Nobody seems to have any concrete information on it, and there are lots of posts about the promotion/relegation system (or lack of), parachute money for teams, franchise football, huge prize money - but nobody on here seems to really know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    And they (like any other LoI club) could quite posisbly get decent crowds for a season
    except UCD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers fan View Post
    except UCD
    You're probably just teasing Stu, but you'd be surprised. Our crowds were a good bit higher twenty-five years ago. Success is a great attractor of crowds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    You're probably just teasing Stu, but you'd be surprised. Our crowds were a good bit higher twenty-five years ago. Success is a great attractor of crowds.
    How much is a good bit? 200%?
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There are some figures in today's Star and from it I think its fair to say that these guys don't appear to know what they are doing. They talk about 150k for the team that comes last yet the plan is to charge each club 100k affiliation. They also plan to take 10% of gate money which they reckon will amount to 500k and that both governments will provide funding. Why exactly the governments either side of the border will provide funding for this exclusive league is beyond me.

They then go on the talk about glamour friendlies against Celtic (that'll pack them into Windsor) and representative matches against the SPL. I wonder has anybody run this by the Scots!!

The more you hear about this plan the sillier it seems. Why are the clubs listening to these people?
    Last edited by SMorgan; 02/07/2008 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Why does this all sound so mad cap to you...?

Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post
    There are some figures in today's Star and from it I think its fair to say that these guys don't appear to know what they are doing. They talk about 150k for the team that comes last yet the plan is to charge each club 100k affiliation.
    So the team at the bottom nets-out at €50k a year for the worst possible league position, and everyone else above them nets-out even better. Care to tell me what is so bad about that ? The team bottom currently is lucky if they get £5k come season's end.

They also plan to take 10% of gate money which they reckon will amount to 500k
    Firstly - have you thought why they might take 10% of gate money ? It wouldn't just be to line their pockets. If the plan is to have a centrally marketed league, then it would need to have centrally funded marketing- and a fund to do that. We've seen for decades now that the league just isn't capable of marketing itself.

Secondly - if the league is being marketed by a professional sports company (who yuo would assume know what they're doing), then why shouldn't they take a percentage of the gate ? 90% of a bigger pie is likely to be better for clubs than 100% of a smaller one.

Thirdly - I'm not sure if you're dismissing their estimation that 10% of gate receipts across a season could amount to €500k, but that is an extremely achieable figure. Indeed - the league is probably at or near that sort of level of aggregate gate money already - so I would strongly assert that such a target is far too low
    and that both governments will provide funding. Why exactly the governments either side of the border will provide funding for this exclusive league is beyond me.
    Why wouldn't they provide funding for it ? They didn't have a problem funding the GAA, greyhound racing, horseracing or any other number of sports that had got their sh!t together. Your just starting to ooze sneering prejudice here now TBH. How's about - rather than dismiss everything here without a single justificatiion - you start to provide somethig to back-up your 'views'.

They then go on the talk about glamour friendlies against Celtic (that'll pack them into Windsor) and representative matches against the SPL. I wonder has anybody run this by the Scots!!
    This is only side-show stuff really - although City will probably make about £250k stg from each of our Celtic friendlies, for example, so there's money to be made there (even if we did have to pay for that visit). But it's hardly something I think they should be focusing on, and it's hardly a reason for dissing the idea of an all-island league.

The SPL inter-league stuff would again be just side-show, though you're sneering is just getting tedious by this stage. If the AIL was a much better supported, better funded, higher standard league with better facilities - why wouldn't SPL select teams want to play it ? But i digress....

The more you hear about this plan the sillier it seems. Why are the clubs listening to these people?
    Conversely - the more I hear of your ill-considered sneering, the sillier you seem. I'm grateful that the clubs appear to be listening to a professional sports marketing company capable of presenting and justifying a business case, rather than a random punter on the internet who appears to type without thinking.
    Last edited by dcfcsteve; 03/07/2008 at 1:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Game Over

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Only rational response to that sort of intransigence is a breakaway. Pity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast