Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: ufea cup draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

ufea cup draw

The Galway and district league team were drawn in qualifying group 9a ufea cup this morning

Group is
    WFC Universitet Vitebsk (BLR)
    ŽNK SFK 2000 Sarajevo (BIH)
    FC Zürich Frauen (SUI)
    Galway LFC (IRL)

winner of this group will go into round 2 and will be in a group Arsenal LFC
    Last edited by Trainee; 03/07/2008 at 11:23 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Galway Ladies to visit Sarajevo in UEFA Cup

from fai.ie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 03 July 2008 Section: Womens (Senior)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should the Galway Ladies advance from the 1st Round, awaiting them in the second stage are English champions, Arsenal FC and Olympic Lyonnais from France.

The Galway Ladies qualify for the UEFA Women’s Cup after they defeated Raheny United 1-0 in the FAI Umbro Women’s Senior Challenge Cup in October 2007 courtesy of a goal from Irish international, Niamh Fahy from the penalty spot.

The UEFA Women’s Cup, 1st round draw will be played in Bosnia-Herzegovina from the 4th – 9th September and Galway manager, Stephen Lally is looking forward to the challenge of European competition, “ I think everybody involved with the Galway Ladies are relatively happy with today’s draw, with the top seeded team from Belarus not hosting the 1st round, I think that gives the rest of the teams in the group an added incentive to go and win the mini-tournament. The team have been training very hard all summer and we will travel to the Umbro Women’s Cup in Manchester later this month as we compete against some of Europe’s top teams which I believe is ideal preparation ahead of the UEFA Cup.”

He added, “Since we won the FAI Umbro Cup last year, we have strengthened our squad with a number of young players who have obtained international experience with Noel King’s Irish under 17 team and Susan Ronan’s Under 19 team, who were both competing in the UEFA Championship, elite qualifying phase. In my opinion, that international experience will be extremely valuable as we bid to become the first Irish team ever to advance past the first round in the competition. I have no doubt that we are travelling to Sarajevo to win the 1st round of the competition, this team is well capable of competing against Europe’s top teams and we are looking forward to that challenge.”

UEFA Women's Cup Draw. 1st Round Mini-Tournament - GROUP A9

WFC Universitet Vitebsk (Belarus)
    ZNK SFK 2000 Sarajevo (Bosnia-Herzegovina) (Hosts)
    FC Zurich Fruean (Switzerland)
    Galway Ladies F.C. (Republic of Ireland)

UEFA Women’s Cup – 1st Round to be played 4th-9th September 2008

Group Winners qualify for 2nd Round Group B3 which includes Arsenal FC (England) & Olympic Lyonnais (France)