Thread: Gaa 2011

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Gaa 2011

Dublin win the Leinster Football!

But ultimately can't see them winning the much longed for AI.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    They were poor today, although having said that was impressed with Wexford. Only for the awful error by the Wex keeper, they wouldve won the game. A big score to give away and ruined the momentum that Wex had. The lad Brosnan was immense for them, super player.

B Brogan was poor for Dublin today, which is rare in fairness. Perhaps teams are learning how to deal with him. Kerry and Cork would still be my favourites for the final, assuming they dont meet before hand. Kildare are worth a mention too. Dont think Ulster will offer as much as in recent years, the Ulster final next weekend will be interesting in that regard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Only for the mistake by the wexford keeper they would gave drawn. Couldn't figure out what was wrong with Bernard today he scored a cracking point in the first minute and then snatched at every other attempt. His ability in and around the half forward line and his linking up with the brudder was great. O'Gara actually had his best game for Dublin I've seen him have. Held up the ball well.
    Mossy was shocking bad. Paul Flynn, Bryan Cullen and Kevin Nolan played very well.
    Some great games coming up in the qualifiers though. Reckon I'll be heading to Omagh.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Dubs win in the Hurling!!
    Tipp will be their Cup Final though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    So back from Omagh. Armagh were brutal. Was listening to the Dublin game on the way home. We really need to start closing them games out.
    What the well happened Galway today. Terrible.

And then the football quarter final draw... I picked 2 of them last night. I knew it would be a potential Dublin v Tyrone game along with Kildare-Donegal. Not holding out much hope for Mayo or Limerick.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Kerry will rusty after the four-week layoff, but can't see Limerick improving enough for an upset, relieved to avoid Kildare and Tyrone this early though. Munster v Connacht and Ulster v Leinster this year, so looking like Kerry-Cork and Dublin-Kildare rematches in the semis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Though Kildare- Tyrone would be a cracker. Tipping the Lillywhites for the Final at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    What the well happened Galway today. Terrible.
    It was an absolute disgrace. They were like a bunch of U12's, not one man in that team....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I wrote off Davy Fitz after the Tipp debacle and thought that that Galway team would have too much for a demoralized Bla side.
    Glad I was wrong. There's some serious issues with the psyche of that Galway team. Every year they look like they're gonna break through and then they crash out with a whimper.
    Brutal.

Happy with the semi final line up but the Cats and the Premier should have much too much for Dublin and Waterford. If we get a final an eighth as good as last years we'll be doing well.

Can't bloody well wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Well what a weekend that was. Can't wait to see the smirk wiped of Tony Davis' face tonight.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Typical, Cork lose and they don't have Tony Davis or Brolly on The Sunday Game. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Well done Donegal & Mayo!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Brilliant performance by Mayo. Hope Spillane watched it the *****
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    He was fairly pro-Mayo last night to be fair and in fact was critical of Kerry to some extent.

If Mayo put it up to them they could win.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Again, Kerry's backline was ripped open, Limerick could have had two goals before O'Sullivan's wonder-strike, expect O'Mahony and Tom O'Sullivan to be dropped, with Young and Bohane introduced. Midfield did OK, but still nowhere near dominant enough as would be needed against a Top Four team, Donaghy and Cooper very subdued, nedd more variety between long-balls and short-passing if they're to beat Mayo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Again, Kerry's backline was ripped open, Limerick could have had two goals before O'Sullivan's wonder-strike, expect O'Mahony and Tom O'Sullivan to be dropped, with Young and Bohane introduced. Midfield did OK, but still nowhere near dominant enough as would be needed against a Top Four team, Donaghy and Cooper very subdued, nedd more variety between long-balls and short-passing if they're to beat Mayo.
    It wasn't totally disastrous - Killian Young has recaptured his form and is showing what a good defender he is - but to me what Jack is trying to do is totally floundering on Eoin Brosnan. He is not a centre back, and it is going to be costly unless it's sorted out. Tom Sull was very poor, Mahony was up against a very good player, but got better as the game wore on. Marc was decent, Tomas was decent, but they'll need to be better than decent in the Semi's. I'd agree with your changes btw (i'm sure you meant Shane Enright rather than Young - as Killian is a confirmed starter these days).
    Bohane did well when he came on, and is animal in the air.

Take the Kerry back 6 the last day:

2 Young 3 Marc Sé 4 Tom Sull

5 Tómas Sé 6 Brosnan 7 O'Mahony

Take Mayo's front 6 :

10 McLoughlin, 11 Dillon 12 Moran
    13 Varley 14 A Freeman, 15 O’Connor

The half forward line is where the Mayo threat is. It's also where Kerry are arguably weakest (ironic considering it was one of the better sectors of the team up to last year).
    McLoughlin had a super game, not just the scores he got, but the lines he ran. It caused chaos along with Dillon and Moran. Will O'Mahony and Brosnan be able for the two of them? I can't see it myself. Bohane coming on the last day was interesting, as I'd imagine he's close enough to the team now.
    I'd make two changes to the Kerry defence. I'd put Dan Bohane in on Alan Freeman at full back. He's excellent in the air, teak tough, and well able to distribute the ball simply. Freeman has a bit about himself to be fair to the lad, and he could be a lot for Marc to handle. Whereas Bohane would be good enough and free Marc for a bigger challenge - Andy Moran or Alan Dillon. I'd put Young on McLoughlin - he won't be outpaced, and given how much ball Killian sees during the course of a match it might put McLoughlin on the back foot a bit more, something Paudie Kissane didn't do enough for Cork - but when he did it yielded 1-2.
    I'd move Marc onto Moran I think - it would mean moving Tomas theoretically into the centre, but Mayo don't seem to play the traditional certain roles, more roving, and this would allow Kerry to go man-for-man, something that suits them better.

So that would be:

2 Enright 3 Bohane 4 Tom Sull
    15 O'Connor 14 Freeman 13 varley

6 Marc O'Sé 5 Tomas Sé 6 Young
    12 Moran 11 Dillon 10 McLoughlin

Midfield will be a big worry, hence Galvin getting a good run-out was important. Himself and Donnacadh Walsh will be the winning or losing of the match. If they can break and win enough secondary ball, it should nullify midfield, where it will be a big ask for Sheehan (considering the height disadvantage) if not so much for Anthony Maher. I wouldn't be surprised if jack pulled another surprise and recalled Scanlon now he's over the injuries, and moved Sheehan into the corner (or as a third mid) allowing for the fact that Darren Sullivan probably won't be fit to start. Scanlon suffered with injuries last year, but he was excellent the season before last, when he was the stand out midfielder all season. I've plenty of time for him, and for me a fully fit Scanlon is a better midfielder than Bryan Sheehan.

Culloty, don't worry about Gooch or Star. They were grand for the 20mins that the game was a contest. They relaxed when the game was over. Did you see around the 55 minute mark where Donaghy fielded a short kick out by Kealy around the 50m line and sprayed the ball 50yds to Gooch on the other side of the pitch? That's how bad a contest the match was. They'll be fine for Mayo.

Finally Mayo don't have a defender to mark Declan O'Sullivan. I don't say that out of arrogance or over-confidence, just that the fact that Dec is the best forward of his generation and is a pleasure to watch every time he puts on the green and gold. Centre forward, full forward, it doesn't matter. Feed the Dec and he will score. Or don't feed him, and he'll find ball himself and score.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Sadly only able to watch the Dublin-Tyrone match on BBC, the UK commentators seem to have a problem with the referee and are howling every time a Tyrone player goes to ground. Good play by the Dubs, if they can keep it up, and it looks like the Tyrone lads didn't juice up enough for this. Amazing how bullies don't like getting pushed back. Still can't see further than Kerry (sadly) for the Sam.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    As a Corkman at this stage, I really dont care who wins Sam once Kerry dont. God knows they have done it enough times. Though it is hard to see past them.

Dublin looked good today but Tyrone imo had gone backwards from last year. Dublin largely still remain untested this year, although they deserve credit for disposing of a decent Kildare side relatively easily. Id love to see Mayo win it out but cant see it happening, they have already overachieved.

First year since the back door system came in that all four provincial winners have made the semis.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Agree on Mayo, as much as I want Dublin to win, I thought Mayo have played the best brand of football and after so many near misses with seemingly better squads, it would be great for them to win. I don't like Kerry, or their style of football, they get a free ride from commentators yet they are as nasty as any of the Northern sides who did well and don't seem to get punished for it. Though still I can't bet against them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    I think the digs by Kerry players is down to the pummellings from Tyrone and Cork down the years, can't see them setting out to rough up Mayo when the rivalry isn't as intense. Very impressed by Dublin last night, Diarmuid Connolly gave a point-scoring exhibition, they'd have beaten any team in the country on last night's performance.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast