Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Georgie for Ireland

Neil

Georgie for Ireland

The banner says Flynny but the way George is playing at the moment he wouldn't be out of his depth in a Brazil team.

The man is an absolute legend.

City 4 Life George, please.

Ireland could do worse than have Flynny and George up front against the Russians!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd go with that!

My memory is a bit hazy but did George "assist" all four goals last night - I'm pretty sure it was at least 3.

We should all pray each night in thanks for the ITV Digital collapse and whatever else contributed to us gettng George & John back here.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    the guy is absolute magic. probably the most talented player in the country- well, along with flynny!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Georgie for Ireland

Originally posted by Neil
    Ireland could do worse than have Flynny and George up front against the Russians!
    It would be great to see and I honestly believe that they would do very well.
    Champions!

thecorner
    i was just thinking the same meself today
    if any eircom league player deserves to be in the irish squad on merit its georgie boy

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Isn't it a laugh that our national team has "players" such as Kilbane, Breen, Carsley, Doherty, Dunne ( God help us ) etc ( the list is actually quite frightening ) so devoid of any natural talent yet, playing week in week out, we have the likes of Georgie and Flynny and others throughout the LoI quite obviously more gifted that some of these donkeys.

What it would do to have some of our LoI players even given the chance to train with the Irish team.

Look att he buzz that was created when Crowe got his chance.

Flynny better than Connolly - an emphatic YES, and he has a better attitude by a mile.

Georgis better than Kilbane, Carsley - better than both of them put together.

Dan Murray ( apparently he is qualified to play for Ireland ) better than Breen, Dunne ( heart of a lion / arse of hippopotamus ) - different class, they wouldn't lace his boots.

Footnote:
    If you tried to pick the worst Irish team of all time you would be amazed at how many of the current squad are "fighting" for places in it - try it.
    Irish by birth,
    Cork by the grace of God.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Sorry Mr Counting Crow but i'd have to disagree with your last post.

Flynn is great and the best player in the eL imo. BUT if he was better than connolly he'd be earning 10 grand a week with west ham wouldn't he?

The same applies with Georgie/Kilbane and Murray, Breen and Dunne.

I think people are getting a bit excited. OK we won 4-0 the other night and it was a fantastic night to be a city fan BUT we were playing an absolutely sh1t utterly useless team that we lost to 3-1 the last time we played them. Flynn deserves a run in the national team - but that's it.

I'm gonna get hammered now arn't I?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
    Sorry Mr Counting Crow but i'd have to disagree with your last post.

Flynn is great and the best player in the eL imo. BUT if he was better than connolly he'd be earning 10 grand a week with west ham wouldn't he?

The same applies with Georgie/Kilbane and Murray, Breen and Dunne.

I think people are getting a bit excited. OK we won 4-0 the other night and it was a fantastic night to be a city fan BUT we were playing an absolutely sh1t utterly useless team that we lost to 3-1 the last time we played them. Flynn deserves a run in the national team - but that's it.

I'm gonna get hammered now arn't I?

I'm afraid you are going to get hammered now!
    I cannot comprehend how anyone can say that Connolly is better than Flynny or Kilbane is better than Geogie etc.
    I think it is the old Irish inferiority complex rearing its ugly head again, people automatically think that just because a player is playing in England and earning more money (btw I seriously doubt Connolly is on anything near 10k a week) that he must be better. Sure nobody that plays in the el could possibly be better than someone that plays in the english 1st div, sure the el is merely a feeder league for England, it's only substandard, right? No wrong, all of that is a myth, a load of complete and utter rubbish.
    We have to believe that we are as good, we have to be confident and not feel inferior because only then can our league move forward.
    Flynny and Georgie are both good enough to play for Ireland and I challenge anybody to prove me wrong without rolling out the usual boring unsubstansiated arguments.
    John O'Flynn is far better than Connolly, Crowe, Doherty and many other strikers who have played for Ireland in the past.
    Our players deserve a chance to prove all the doubters wrong and I believe it's only a matter of time before they get that chance.
    Champions!

Neil
    Well said Colm!
    I couldn't be bothered replying to it!
    I have no problem with Connolly, I think he's not a bad player, but not up to the standard for Ireland. Flynny is a similar but slightly better player IMO and defintely has a better attitude and more of a future.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Better players

I dont think being a "better" player is the only consideration for international football. Alot of what Connolly does is kicking in rebounds and getting knock downs from strikers in the box, he needs space for the most part, space which exists in Div 1 in England but which doesnt at international level. Some players games are just more suited to the international game. Look at players like Le Tisser who was excellent but his game was never really suited to International football. Andy Cole has scored bags of goals at club level but has scored as many at international level as Richard Dunne.

I think Flynny COULD have ability to make an impact IF given a chance
    Oh no not them again

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Flynny was never given a really chance to prove himself in the English leagues. He was 20 when he returned to City and very few players have made an impact by then. Petersborough knew how good he was but couldn't afford to keep him.

As for the International scene, Kerr has done wonders getting results with the players he has. Crowe is not on form and will prob not be picked..it's a pity other Irish strikers aren't lloked at the same way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Glen Crowe really started to be talked about as a serious International squad contender when Bohs were doing well in Europe. When he held his own against Kaiserslautern as he had in the previous rounds. When he got his chance against Greece, he was better up front than Doherty who partnered him.

You can only be judged on who you've play aginst, but Crowe showed that he could make what outsiders would regard asw a 'step up'. i think Flynny has done the same in his U21 record now and he's ready to move to the next level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Colm

I totally agree with you about the myth:

"Sure nobody that plays in the el could possibly be better than someone that plays in the english 1st div, sure the el is merely a feeder league for England, it's only substandard, right? No wrong, all of that is a myth, a load of complete and utter rubbish."

Well said, but i think people are quick to knock the english first division the same way they knock the eL because they don't watch it. I saw West Ham play Preston the other week and the standard was far better than anything i've seen at the cross this season that is an honest appraisel of the game - Connolly came on as sub and scored a fantastic goal a really great goal. To say Flynn is way better than Connolly is wrong and surely means Flynn is a premiership standard striker which is always debatable until he plays at a regular basis at such a standard.

Flynn is a genuine player the best i've ever seen at eL level but if he makes a move would he get into any premiership team?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Real ale Madrid

Connolly came on as sub and scored a fantastic goal a really great goal.
    That was not a great goal at all. A good run with some terrible goalkeepeing as Gould lay on the ground for Connolly to pass the ball into the middle of the goal.

Rubbish compared to O' Flynns class finishes on Friday night.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Two great goals on Friday for JOF. Easily the best striker in the league and doesn't look at all out of place on the Irish U-21 team. I think he's ready to take a step up and join the senior squad, esp as Keane is out injured.

However, we shouldn't get too carried away. Drogs were awful on Friday. Just cause we had a good game against them doesn't mean half our team should play for Ireland. For now, I'd be happy with JoF getting a game.

After ccfc get some European experience, we could start looking at getting some more players into the international scene. Right now, I don't think any of the rest are likely to get a look in. Remeber, we're a club with a lot of players under 25 years of age.

Patience.