Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup tickets 2010

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

World Cup tickets 2010

I've done a little bit of research here.

The public sale in Soth Africa is expected to start this year. no more details yet.

The worldwide sale won't start until February 2009.

Now a few changes. The competing countries get 12% instead of 8%. This is great news if we qualify as the stadiums seem bigger than Germany.

The bad news is that the Travel agents are back. Yes £800 for a hotel room and a ticket for Ireland v Italy in New York. Those days are back.

"For the 2010 FIFA World Cup ™, FIFA has decided to allocate a number of match tickets for use in a Tour Operator Programme. The programme will allow qualified and experienced travel companies to provide accommodation, transportation and other related travel services in travel packages of their own creation, to be sold under their own terms of business, together with tickets sold on behalf of FIFA. The 2010 FIFA World Cup Tour Operator Programme will be the first such programme implemented by FIFA for a FIFA World Cup since 1998. "

This translates to - We have seen football fans buy tickets on the internet from FIFA and then book cheap flights and accomodation to visit major tournaments. So we are going back to the old days when officially approved operators screwed fans to the wall with ridiculously overpriced packages. The guys will scoff at the Ray Treacy's of this world charging only a grand for a weekend in Paris.

There will still be a public internet sale of tickets in February next year. Locals can buy tickets for as cheap as $20 but the cheapest ticket for a group match availabel to foreigners will be $80.

I'll post mor einfo here and I'd appreciate any info if anybody has any.

If we qualify I'd feel better about my chances of getting tickets. However as somebody who will go anyway it will be harder to get tickets through legitimate sources.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well done Gspain , I will keep eye on this . Again only time will tell if we will be going .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    I'll post mor einfo here and I'd appreciate any info if anybody has any.

If we qualify I'd feel better about my chances of getting tickets. However as somebody who will go anyway it will be harder to get tickets through legitimate sources.
    Not really on the ticket front but....

Driving across South Africa for a month and plan on doing a recce of the grounds and the other key questions.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Ticket sales start on Feb 20th and finish on March 31st. Subsequent phases to follow.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...untdown+begins

Phase 1 is your best chance of getting tickets.

Options are venues and take your chances or Ireland follow my team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I will see what they are looking for up front in the morning but it cost nothing to look at it , YET

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I registered earlier this week and sticking my name down tomorrow. Don't think the missus is too keen on South Africa........thankfully she didn't watch that Louis Theroux documentary last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I have had no luck yet in trying to apply for tickets as the FIFA site keeps bringing back to the start again , maybe it's a time zone thing or something but I will try again later on .
    Let me know if anybody has any luck on it .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Don't think applications are available until noon South Africa time - Which is 10am here (I think)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    You register and enter credit card details. Your credit card will only be billed if you're succesful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Whats the chances of being successful?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffler View Post
    Whats the chances of being successful?
    From memory but think for 2006 an Ireland TST odds were just over 1 in 15.

for Japan there was no problem getting an Ireland TST although not in the cheaper categories.

Overall it was 20 million applicants for 750.000 tickets in 2006.

It should be less this time. South Africa is further away from the mian centres and there is a global recession.

You won't be charged unless you get tickets. If you get tickets and we don't qualify then you will lose a handling fee, credit card charges and the exchange rate will always be worse on a refund.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I thought for Japan you could apply for the cheapest category but get bumped up to a more expensive one if unsuccessful.
    This time that doesn't seem to be the case - Maybe for the later sales phases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "The biggest number of orders came from South Africans, followed by applicants from Great Britain, the USA, Germany, Brazil, Australia, Japan, Mexico, Canada, Switzerland, Ireland, Netherlands, Spain and Argentina."
    The line above is from the FIFA site. A lot of the Irish applicants would be in some of the other countries as well (GB, US, Oz)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I registered earlier this week and sticking my name down tomorrow. Don't think the missus is too keen on South Africa........thankfully she didn't watch that Louis Theroux documentary last year.
    South Africa is great, unfortunately it will be winter here and thus not beach weather but there is plenty to see and do away from the football.
    Please don't rely on a misguided idiot like Theroux hoping to look clever by trying (and failing) to out smart a hand full of gun happy Boers, for your information. It's the equivalent to saying I won't go to New York because there are some Rednecks in Texas.
    I'll be happy to give yo ua long list of things to do should you wish to visit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
    I thought for Japan you could apply for the cheapest category but get bumped up to a more expensive one if unsuccessful.
    This time that doesn't seem to be the case - Maybe for the later sales phases.
    It's the other way around. You have to apply for the dearest and trade down.

Stupid move too as this is the first time you can't apply online (could have for 98, 02 & 06) if you don't have a credit card. they then ask you to protect the environment by not printing the application form. Many people who do have credit cards don't trust websites with their card details either. This dumb decision will lead to millions of paper applications that could have been done online.
    Last edited by gspain; 23/02/2009 at 8:46 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Think I am going to apply for an Ireland TST 7 game ticket. WHat category are people going to go for. I think I will go for Category 2.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Think I am going to apply for an Ireland TST 7 game ticket. WHat category are people going to go for. I think I will go for Category 2.
    TST 7 will be very hard to get as it guarantees a final ticket even if we are not in it. You'd have a better chance of a TST 3,4,5 or even 6. I'd guess most people will go for TST 3 or TST 7 too. For 2002 an dprevious World Cups you got a refund if your team didn't make the final but now you follow the group winners or the team that knocks you out.

To maximise your chances of coming out of the draw I reckon a TST 4 or TST 5 is your best bet. Cat 1 is also your best bet as you are then entered in the subsequent draws if you don't get a Cat 1 ticket.

Then worry about semi final and final; tickets if we get that far.

I applied for individual matches and am hoping the FAI will come through if we qualify. I would go to other games anyway and would go if we don't make it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Cheers Gary, Good advice there on that. Thanks.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    FIFA only received applications for 1.6 million tickets. This may sound a lot but many of these will be disappointed as they'll have applied for the final and for England and Brazil TSTs.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organis...fifa+world+cup

This sounds hopeful for those who applied for individual matches particularly if you gave yourself every chance by applying for Cat 1. You should get on average half the tickets applied for.

Hard to read Ireland TSTs yet.

There were 9 million applications for tickets for Euro2008.

The recession will have had some effect but the choice of venue must be a serious concern for FIFA now. After the success of Germany this could lead to empty stadiums.

The decision to take tickets back from fans and give them to travel agents must surely look even more foolish now. If most applications are successful in phase 1 then trying to sell overpriced travel packages will be really tough.

If we make it the signs are good re the availability of tickets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When should we expect the results of the lottery??

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast