Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Children's school books featuring gay characters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Children's school books featuring gay characters

I don't have any links for this, but it's on the Last Word repeat this morning. Basically a debate between a school's Principal and a homophobe (David Quinn from the Indo) about whether or not children's school books should include homosexual characters. The principals multi-demonational school has school books that include homosexual characters and they touch on homosexual relationships. The homophobe is saying it's wrong, blah blah blah, we should cut out name calling in general , what about the Muslims . Sorry, it may not be a current affair but how are these people given a stage to spout their nonsense? He just said 98% of the population are hetrosexual so obviously homosexuality is wrong!

Anyway does anyone really having a problem with a schoolbook having a gay character among straight characters, Muslim characters, Catholic characters, etc.? It's meant to tackle homophobia at an early stage and teach children about intigration, but apparantly this guy wants the gay character cut out becuase it will lead children to the dark side apparantly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    its a democracy. everyone has a right to an opinion, and be given the opportunity to voice that opinion. they dont automatically have the right to be correct, or even intelligent.
    i believe in one man, one vote. i should be that one man with that one vote.

ALWAYS ON TOUR!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shantykelly View Post
    its a democracy. everyone has a right to an opinion, and be given the opportunity to voice that opinion. they dont automatically have the right to be correct, or even intelligent.
    Maybe but they should join the queue. I'm sure there was something more deserving of air time.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    Maybe but they should join the queue. I'm sure there was something more deserving of air time.

just be thankful they're not actually running your government. we've got the delightful iris robinson. wannae swap?
    i believe in one man, one vote. i should be that one man with that one vote.

ALWAYS ON TOUR!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Anyway does anyone really having a problem with a schoolbook having a gay character among straight characters, Muslim characters, Catholic characters, etc.? It's meant to tackle homophobia at an early stage and teach children about intigration.
    I think it's a brilliant idea.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    theres nothing wrong with the idea per se but creating a gay character solely for the sake of it seems a bit silly to me.

ach-ja or nicht-nicht?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shantykelly View Post
    Its a republic actually. Democracies went out with 20th century BC Greek city states.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    What age group were they books been aimed at?, primary school children?

I would'nt agree with it been in Primary school books, i'd be more for making a go at secondary school kids in teaching them acceptance of somebody's life choice.
    Last edited by gilberto_eire; 15/06/2008 at 12:40 AM.
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post
    For the fact that a homosexual can't go on the reproduce with is the backbone of the human society.
    Sentance posted on foot.ie that made the least bit of sense ever. My read of it is; Society had a backbone, and it is "that a homosexual can't go on the reproduce with"?

Did you post in another language and the above is the best google translator came up with?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Ah I see, you've edited it. Nice to see the couple of minutes stopped you looking like an idiot and a homophobe.
    ---

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    What age group were they books been aimed at?, primary school children?

I would'nt agree with it been in Primary school books, i'd be more for making a go at secondary school kids in teaching them acceptance of somebody's life choice.
    It's too late by secondary school. It's at about ten or eleven (maybe earlier) that we start to become aware of sex, this is the age when things can become stigmatised. I think it's a good idea to introduce same sex relationships to younger children, it doesn't have to be anything extreme, just passing reference to the fact that not everyone is heterosexual and homosexuality is not something to be stigmatised or to be ashamed of.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Sentance posted on foot.ie that made the least bit of sense ever. My read of it is; Society had a backbone, and it is "that a homosexual can't go on the reproduce with"?

Did you post in another language and the above is the best google translator came up with?
    I was tired when i wrote that and did'nt look back over my post before i sent it. I meant ''For the fact that a homosexual can't go on TO reproduce WHICH is the backbone of the human society.''

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    I was tired when i wrote that and did'nt look back over my post before i sent it. I meant ''For the fact that a homosexual can't go on TO reproduce WHICH is the backbone of the human society.''
    to be honest most of our current world problems and future problems are related to too much reproducing.Could you have a word with the catholic church about contraception or helpfully suggest a conversion en masse to homosexuality.I advise that you be prepared to listen to a load of sanctimonious crap from that discredited cult.Good luck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    So those who cant have children or choose not to are also part of this bad group who wont/cant be part of the "backbone of human society"??

Grow up. No one is suggesting everyone should be gay. Learn to live and let live and you might have a fuller more interesting life Mr eire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    So those who cant have children or choose not to are also part of this bad group who wont/cant be part of the "backbone of human society"??

Grow up. No one is suggesting everyone should be gay. Learn to live and let live and you might have a fuller more interesting life Mr eire.
    I never mentioned anything about people who could'nt have children of the likes.

My point was as human beings are function in this world is purely to reproduce and survive, these are our prime functions and they are the same as all living creatures(but we have the added bonus off a complex brain).

Some people make life choices and been Gay is one of these, it in no way should be encouraged in people but accepted when it happens, that's where the problem lies in social acceptance and putting an end to prejudice.

I'd only be against these books if they in any way influenced it, if they can educate people to be more acceptive of homsexuals then it would be a great idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    If they can educate people to be more acceptive of homsexuals then it would be a great idea.
    They might even help you.

Only here to reproduce
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    I never mentioned anything about people who could'nt have children of the likes.

My point was as human beings are function in this world is purely to reproduce and survive, these are our prime functions and they are the same as all living creatures(but we have the added bonus off a complex brain).

Some people make life choices and been Gay is one of these, it in no way should be encouraged in people but accepted when it happens, that's where the problem lies in social acceptance and putting an end to prejudice.

I'd only be against these books if they in any way influenced it, if they can educate people to be more acceptive of homsexuals then it would be a great idea.
    but by saying we are only here to reproduce you are saying that those who cant have kids have no function.

I dont think anyone chooses to be gay. One of my best mates is gay and he is an ex boyfriend of mine. He is an extremely religious guy who I know struggled fiercely with who he was, had several girlfriends and then finally was true to himself. He is much happier now and those of us who love him are delighted.

I have 2 sons and while I do hope they will grow up, marry and have kids, if either of them is gay I will love them all the more as they will need protection from the bigots of this world.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Far too much seems to be made of this. From what I heard the school & parents decided to do this so no one is being forced into anything.

Sure haven't half the cartoon cartoon characters of the 70s and 80s proven to be gay?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Sure haven't half the cartoon cartoon characters of the 70s and 80s proven to be gay?
    How do you prove a cartoon character is gay?
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I thought this was a game of some sort didn't realise how serious of a discussion it was.

out of interest what gay characters are there so far.

Noddy shared a bed with an elderly man called Big Ears, who may or may not be a kiddy fiddler.

Peter Pan is surely a metaphor for homosexuality and admitting to oneself the truth about themselves, while Willy Wonka and the oompa loompas certainly had the dress sense and the eccentricities.

surely one if not all of the seven dwarfs. it says nothing about any of them having a crack off snow white.

According to the times of india, Batman and Robin, Incredible Hulk, X-Men and Superman "promote the gay agenda"

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1188273.cms

"The two are unmarried males living together, that they sometimes sit close together on a couch in their shirt-sleeves, and that Robin's hand is sometimes shown touching Batman's arm. They slide down poles and try on different outfits. Like girls in other stories, Robin is sometimes held captive by the villains... Robin is a handsome boy, usually showing his uniform with bare legs. He often stands with legs spread, the genital region discreetly evident. Besides, Batman's lack of commitment to women is a recurrent theme."

Georgina from the famous five was the first transvestite, she couldn't accept she was a girl, so she dressed and acted like a boy. This is her now....
    images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/16842/original.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast