"Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Here it is:
    CHANGES TO GALWAY UNITED SQUAD
    Following a mid-season review by Galway United of the club’s affairs, it was apparent that many revenue streams were behind projection and unlikely to improve significantly before the end of the season.
    As this impacts adversely on the Salary Cost Protocol that all Eircom League Of Ireland clubs must adhere to, Galway United found themselves in serious danger of breaching this requirement.
    To address this matter, the club has reluctantly informed several players that they will not be able to retain them after the end of this month. As the transfer window opens on the 1st July, the club and the players will endeavour to find either new clubs or alternative employment.
    The club would like to thank all of the players concerned — Daryl Robson, Wes Charles, Ciaran Foley, Stephen O’Flynn, John Lester and Alvin Rouse — for their service to the club and wish them every success in the future.
    Galway United CEO Nick Leeson, stated: “It is with deep regret that we have had to take this course of action. It is absolutely no reflection on the individuals concerned but is driven purely by financial pressure.
    “The club has suffered significantly in recent months from the general economic downturn that is affecting so many businesses throughout the country. Season ticket sales were down sharply, fundraising is behind target and advertising continues to sell poorly,” he said.
    “In recent weeks falling gate receipts have added to the problem and prompted such action to ensure the long-term future of the football club,” he added.

ends

Six players being dumped!

I hope the plan is to bring in fresh blood. Ironicaly, Wes had his best game in a United shirt only last week and now he's being off loaded. I'm not shocked at the others being released with the possible exception of Lester. O'Flynn seems to be always injured and Rouse never got a chance.

At least we have retained Glynn, Russell, O'Brien and Fitzgerald as it is possible to build a team around them.

Good luck to the lads who have been released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    I agree Paddy, the other 5 seem to be always injured. I'd be worried about a lack of cover, but business is business. Which makes me ask when Leech is not being released. He is playing well of late, but he is apparently the highest paid player in the squad, so surely releasing him would save on big money.
    That said, I feel sorry for all six and want to say thanks for their efforts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I don't think it means we're necessarily in trouble, i could see those 6 players been replaced with two, we defo' can't bring in anyone else on top of them with the cap so players must go, and these are the ones.....

I think Flynn and Robbo on the basis of injury, Lester on the basis of been only a makeshift CB. Rouse because he might never play(under-20 could sit on the bench instead), Foley was never up to standard and should have went last year, but Wes surprises me tbh, can't put my finger on that maybe Jeff has CB lined up and we needed him to go!?
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    Which makes me ask when Leech is not being released. He is playing well of late, but he is apparently the highest paid player in the squad, so surely releasing him would save on big money.
    It would probably cost to much to get rid of him. If a player wont agree to a pay off and they have a contract then there is not a lot the club can do with them. Also if he went as well we would be left with only 2 strikers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Gilberto I cant see us bringing in too many if any players other than Jeff and Foster being registered as players. We are left with 14 full timers one who is injured no reserve keeper and a bunch of U20s.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
    It would probably cost to much to get rid of him. If a player wont agree to a pay off and they have a contract then there is not a lot the club can do with them. Also if he went as well we would be left with only 2 strikers?
    Well he has done flip all with regards to what he is paid for -scoring goals. And disagree with Gilberto about Foley, he played with passion and may not have set the world on fire, but he would give everything. What centre-mid back-up do we have now, just Fenn with Lester and Foley gone. Doesn't make sense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    Gilberto I cant see us bringing in too many if any players other than Jeff and Foster being registered as players. We are left with 14 full timers one who is injured no reserve keeper and a bunch of U20s.

If you include the 2 lads coming back from loan then we have 16 plus jeff and ian is 18 and if you count some of the young lads that have made progress like molloy and connelly that 20 so its not as bad as you make it sound.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    Well he has done flip all with regards to what he is paid for -scoring goals. And disagree with Gilberto about Foley, he played with passion and may not have set the world on fire, but he would give everything. What centre-mid back-up do we have now, just Fenn with Lester and Foley gone. Doesn't make sense
    Who cares about Passion and fire when you can't play the midfield role at a high level?... there great to have when your a good player but you also need to be able to pass the ball, whats the point in having someone out there who gives ball away constantly and is'nt the best defensive midfielder at the same time?
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Tracey and Keane are injured and there isnt a snowballs chance of O'Halloran playing for United again. We also HAVE to field an A side and have only one goalkeeper at the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Tracey and Keane are injured and there isnt a snowballs chance of O'Halloran playing for United again. We also HAVE to field an A side and have only one goalkeeper at the club.

As far as i know the a games are on sunday so it wont effect them playing for us on a friday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    so we are going to have approx 10 players playing 2 games or more a week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    so we are going to have approx 10 players playing 2 games or more a week.

why are you so worried about the A league?. Surely we can pick up a few young lads somewhere to fulfill the fixtures. Mervue are not paying there players in the A league so i cant see us paying a lot of wages to the players signed to play in that mickey mouse league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post
    maybe Jeff has CB lined up
    Billy Clery?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
    why are you so worried about the A league?. Surely we can pick up a few young lads somewhere to fulfill the fixtures. Mervue are not paying there players in the A league so i cant see us paying a lot of wages to the players signed to play in that mickey mouse league
    Are you sure Mervue are paying no one I doubt that very much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuisaSaigon View Post
    Billy Clery?
    hasnt played regularly for 2 years Saigon and Fitzy is struggling with his back we could end up with no first choice centre half for the 3 games before the transfer window opens. The one question id have is why couldnt they have waited until after tomorrow nights game before breaking the news.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Are you sure Mervue are paying no one I doubt that very much.

As far as i know none of the players are getting paid. There will be i[SIZE=2]ncentives through out the season but no cash as far as i know. Either way there are still 25 players listed on the galway united web site even after these players leave and thats not including jeff or ian so we have plenty of bodies for the A league once we get a goalkeeper from somewhere.
    [/SIZE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    The one question id have is why couldnt they have waited until after tomorrow nights game before breaking the news.
    Was thinking the same thing myself, timing of this announcement is bizarre. everyone was beginning to hope again after last weeks performance but this can't do much for morale in the squad.
    I've heard a rumour that Billy was going to register as a player in the window but he's hardly going to be the sharpest after so long out. Really hope the club isn't in too much trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I'm a lot less worried about the future of the club tonight, than I was last night.

In future, we should aim to have 10-12 decent professionals backed up by local youngsters and part-timers.

I am glad that this action was taken. I feel sorry for the players involved, but it is better to offload squad members who have made little impact, than have to let go core team players later in the season.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Christ! yer even more ****ed than we are....... and we are gonna **** ye over further Fri night...BTW thought Robson was the greatest thing to come out of Middlesboro since Bernie Slaven anyways will be good to get Stevo back to the Mallow nightclubs been kinda quiet round these parts...alltogether now..I fought the law...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast