Thread: Podcast Format

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts

Podcast Format

Hi,

Only managed to access podcasts now, as (still) no broadband at home and only a short window at work. So I have a few questions...

1) Is .avi the normal format for a podcast? I'm only downloading radio podcasts, so the video consists of a picture? Or is it set by the station that's producing it?
    2) If it is the normal format, any recommendations on software to rip out the audio to mp3 or wma?
    3) Any recommendations for any podcasts, while the work window is open?

I wouldn't have thought I was so dumb with regard to technology, but I've managed to miss the last 6 years developments it seems, and I'm blaming the lack of broadband rather than getting older!
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Hi,

Only managed to access podcasts now, as (still) no broadband at home and only a short window at work. So I have a few questions...

1) Is .avi the normal format for a podcast? I'm only downloading radio podcasts, so the video consists of a picture? Or is it set by the station that's producing it?
    2) If it is the normal format, any recommendations on software to rip out the audio to mp3 or wma?
    3) Any recommendations for any podcasts, while the work window is open?

I wouldn't have thought I was so dumb with regard to technology, but I've managed to miss the last 6 years developments it seems, and I'm blaming the lack of broadband rather than getting older!
    Podcast is just a fancy were derived from Ipod so you can play it on your ipod. It can be any format, its just a LONG MP3 simply. I hate when people come up with stupid names for no reason.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Podcast is just a fancy were derived from Ipod so you can play it on your ipod. It can be any format, its just a LONG MP3 simply. I hate when people come up with stupid names for no reason.
    I know that, but whats the normal format? I had assumed it would be MP3 before I started to download them, but it appears to be .avi. Or is that just with the ZENcast software I'm using?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I know that, but whats the normal format? I had assumed it would be MP3 before I started to download them, but it appears to be .avi. Or is that just with the ZENcast software I'm using?
    Macy, I spose I didn't fully answer your question, its relative to the site. For example BBC use mp3. I have listened to dunphys podcasts and they are mp3 also. But its horses for courses. From any i have downloaded they have all been mp3, but I don't beleive it is set in stone that says "all podcasts must be of mp3 type format".

What does it matter what format it is anyhow? If you want a different format simply convert it. If you want converter software let me know. Its also easy to rip audio from movies, freecorder is a good example.

Edit: just realised i may be mis-interpreting your question. Do you know the difference between avi and mp3? And obviouslly teh difference between an audio and a/v podcast?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Macy, I spose I didn't fully answer your question, its relative to the site. For example BBC use mp3. I have listened to dunphys podcasts and they are mp3 also. But its horses for courses. From any i have downloaded they have all been mp3, but I don't beleive it is set in stone that says "all podcasts must be of mp3 type format".

What does it matter what format it is anyhow? If you want a different format simply convert it. If you want converter software let me know. Its also easy to rip audio from movies, freecorder is a good example.
    So it must be the software then, as it's the BBC stuff is coming in as .avi. Yeah, point me in the right direction for the converter software, please? Any recommendations for software (not itunes) for downloading the podcasts that has some flexibility over the format, as ZENcast obviously doesn't.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I think I have this sorted now.