Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: What would be the most fitting tribute to Johnny Chadda?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Naming the stand.

17 65.38%
  • Naming the gate.

5 19.23%
  • Erecting a statue.

4 15.38%
  • Other.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stand named after Johnny?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stand named after Johnny?

thought i'd give it it's own thread...

i really think to honour the man we should name the treacy ave. stand after johnny chadda

forget any players that have wore the shirt, this man is a rovers legend and will never be forgotten

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Think this is a great idea. it's not like the current stand has any significance and it would be really fitting. it would also ensure that this legends name was around the showgrounds forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I think thats a wonderful idea,a great tribute to him. He will never be forgetten by roers fans but I think something has to be done to honour him considering he did so much for the club,this would be perfect!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    this man deserves more than just a stand named after they should rename the showgrounds after him I mean why not hes done so much for us. But naming the treacy ave. stand after him is a great idea Johnny Chadda stands what a name .
    Coleman for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Was going to suggest this yesterday but i thought ye would think its stupid!

It's a great idea, hopefully the club will do something more than a little plaque.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If the club dont do anything we should just start to call it the Johnny Chadda stand
    RIP JOHNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I would be 100% in favour of this.
    Does anyone know if any such plan is in the works at the club?
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Absolutely, It would be a great tribute to the man to hear supporters on match day saying 'i will see you in the Johnny Chada stand'. a Billion times better than see you in the red stand!
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Fantastic idea. Thats it, so from now on its The Johnny Chadda Stand.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    is there anyone here on the committee or who attends meetings? dont want it just said be fans,should be officially done for sure.

plus i would like to see his poem engraved on a plaque at the front gate and in the home dressing room.

fans like this dont come very often,true gent and would make ya proud to be a rovers fan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRebel32 View Post
    is there anyone here on the committee or who attends meetings? dont want it just said be fans,should be officially done for sure.

plus i would like to see his poem engraved on a plaque at the front gate and in the home dressing room.

fans like this dont come very often,true gent and would make ya proud to be a rovers fan
    I agree with you, it should be made official. But how long are we waiting for recognition from the board for Mark Brindley?
    If your waiting for them to do something, it wont happen.
    So, let the fans start the tribute. Eventually they might make it official.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Lightbulb

I'm in full agreement that something has to be done to immortalize the memory of Johnny Chadda. I have given this some thought since it was first muted on this board and though naming the main stand after Johnny is a lovely gesture I've wondered what the man himself would think of the idea. Bearing in mind that Johnny was first and foremost Sligo Rovers through and through and secondly Johnny was a major fundraiser for the club he held so dearly to his heart, I think Johnny himself would rather see the main stand used as a means of creating an income for the club with a sponsor's name associated with it. Now that's just my view.
    Two legends come to mind when I think of our own legend and I'm thinking what did the clubs associated with those two legends do to immortalize the names of Matt Busby and Bill Shankley. Then I think we at Sligo Rovers should follow suit. Entering the gates of the Showgrounds one of the first people you were likely to meet and be greeted by was Johnny Chadda. That person has now gone but lets replace him with a bronze statue. This is something us supporters could do without having to wait for the powers to be sanction the idea. In conjunction with the local media the fund could be set up and I think by season's end the unveiling of the monument could take place.
    The Johhny Chadda stand is a beautiful idea but through time it can change, a monument inside the gates dedicated to the great man would through time become the focal point of the Showgrounds.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by clubman View Post
    I'm in full agreement that something has to be done to immortalize the memory of Johnny Chadda. I have given this some thought since it was first muted on this board and though naming the main stand after Johnny is a lovely gesture I've wondered what the man himself would think of the idea. Bearing in mind that Johnny was first and foremost Sligo Rovers through and through and secondly Johnny was a major fundraiser for the club he held so dearly to his heart, I think Johnny himself would rather see the main stand used as a means of creating an income for the club with a sponsor's name associated with it. Now that's just my view.
    Two legends come to mind when I think of our own legend and I'm thinking what did the clubs associated with those two legends do to immortalize the names of Matt Busby and Bill Shankley. Then I think we at Sligo Rovers should follow suit. Entering the gates of the Showgrounds one of the first people you were likely to meet and be greeted by was Johnny Chadda. That person has now gone but lets replace him with a bronze statue. This is something us supporters could do without having to wait for the powers to be sanction the idea. In conjunction with the local media the fund could be set up and I think by season's end the unveiling of the monument could take place.
    The Johhny Chadda stand is a beautiful idea but through time it can change, a monument inside the gates dedicated to the great man would through time become the focal point of the Showgrounds.
    lets start the fund the now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Clubman - all the ideas so far are a tribute to the johnny but you idea of the gate is the best i've heard as you quite rightly said, johnny was always the first try and fundraise for club so expenditure on a statue would not be productive (although a fitting tribute) cash wise as these statues are very expensive. May rename the gates the "Chadda Gates" (as in the Shankley gates, i am not comparing shankly and Chadda as that would be unfair on Shankly) and have his poem on them maybe?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red_away View Post
    Clubman - all the ideas so far are a tribute to the johnny but you idea of the gate is the best i've heard as you quite rightly said, johnny was always the first try and fundraise for club so expenditure on a statue would not be productive (although a fitting tribute) cash wise as these statues are very expensive. May rename the gates the "Chadda Gates" (as in the Shankley gates, i am not comparing shankly and Chadda as that would be unfair on Shankly) and have his poem on them maybe?
    Chadda Gates does have a nice ring to it
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Mods, any chance of putting up a poll to see what the fans favour?
    1. Naming the stand.
    2. Naming the gate.
    3. Erecting a statue.
    4. Other.
    I would favour either naming the stand or the gate after Johnny. The statue isn’t a bad idea, but again what would Johnny think of us fundraising for a statue at a time when the club is in dire need.
    I think I know where he would prefer the fundraising to go.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Get the Corpo to rename Church Hill, Chadda Hill.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clubman View Post
    I have given this some thought since it was first muted on this board and though naming the main stand after Johnny is a lovely gesture I've wondered what the man himself would think of the idea. Bearing in mind that Johnny was first and foremost Sligo Rovers through and through and secondly Johnny was a major fundraiser for the club he held so dearly to his heart, I think Johnny himself would rather see the main stand used as a means of creating an income for the club with a sponsor's name associated with it. Now that's just my view.

It’s not far off a decade since the main stand was first opened to the public it was often mentioned before getting it sponsored but it came to no avail and there is no point waiting another six or seven years in hope it might raise funds for the club because in reality nothing of this. The main stand should be named after Johnny Chadda in this honour.

Like what was already pointed out in this thread at a time when the club is in dire need of financial improvement I know where most supporters would like funds to go. Maybe in time when things improve financially we can consider other tributes to the great man but for now just naming the main stand after him.
    Misfits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

tribute to Johnny

poll added

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast