Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Colombia - Thursday, 29th May 2008 - Friendly - Craven Cottage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    did ye notice oherily say mcshane had a good game for a change?!
    did ya notice trap praising john delaney's performance at the post match interview!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    A bit late getting my few cents worth on Thursday's game but for what it's worth I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great crowd, great traditional footy ground and a very entertaining game right from the start.

I really think that a big modern ground like Croker "tricks" the supporters' minds into thinking they're only there to be entertained whereas when you're so close to the action in a smaller ground it makes the supporter feel like he has much more of a role to play.

Watching Columbia up close just reinforces my view that modern international footballers are taller, bigger, more athletic and have at least as much skill as earlier generations, yet Irish midfielders rarely fit the bill in this regard. Someone hurry up the progress of Garvan and O'Toole please! Andy Reid's speed of thought allows him to be less athletic than many but in the absence of both Reids it's hard to see a quick solution to the problem. Carsley just about cuts it but I have reservations. Joey O'Brien might be the next to step up maybe.

Almost every game I've seen us play in the last 3 or 4 years has prompted me to think we'd be an ok team if we just had a competitive central midfield. It's like having good backs and a good pack in rugby but having ponderous and inaccurate half backs. Miller and Whelan didn't cut it at all again, though in fairness I thought Miller showed more willingness to get on the ball and use it in the second half.

McShane had a much better game but I still wouldn't start him ahead of O'Shea at CB, or Andy O'Brien.

I thought O'Shea had fine game but still he has his critics.

Kiely was superb obviously. What a boost to have him back.

I wonder has Delaney, who impressed me again, has done enough to keep the left back spot. Unless Finnan or O'Shea is played out of position there he looks the best option at the moment.

Speacial credit to Kevin Doyle - worked his socks off with poor service and generally did very well. No fault to Keogh at all, a game enough effort in a silly role for him. As said above, it'd have been a great chance to see Lawrence in that role. McGeady did well enough, defended well and caused trouble but his final ball wasn't convincing. He's great at drawing fouls in dangerous areas but our frees weren't great again.

With a better CM pairing there's definitely signs of encouragement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    The big thing for me in the game was the turnaround in play following half time. We went from looking weak and panic stricken, to somewhat controlled and able to deal with the Colombians. Obviously Trap saw what was going wrong and told the lads what to do, and it worked. I don't think that would have happened under any of the previous regimes, Jack would have played his own game, and to hell with the opposition, Mick would have lumped it long, Kerr would have realised plan A wasn't working and bring on Doherty with 10 minutes to go, and let's not try to think what Stan would have done.
    He namechecked McGeady a few times in the run up to the game, and from what I saw in the second half, he's trying to get the best out of young Aiden.
    The central midfield was weak again, even after Saturday, but I think that reflects more on Miller (the senior of the 2) than Whelan. Although I don't think either will be in the first choice starting XI come the autumn, it'll be 2 from Steven Reid, Lee Carsley and Andy Reid.
    A pity Duff had to bow out of the game so late on, Serbia was the best I've seen him play all season and I wanted to see what another week with the new management team would do for him. My dad has awful sinusitis from time to time, so anyone who says it's no reason to miss a game has no idea what they're talking about. Keogh again showed he can do a job, but is no winger. Strange then that the likes of Lawrence missed out on the squad, and Hoolahan came into the game so late. On the other hand, it shows faith from Il Capo that he has faith in his selections.
    Kiely was MOTM, and by some distance. He kept us in it in the first half, and I didn't notice him as much in the second, although he was on the other side of the pitch to me. On this evidence, Given will have some competition for the number 1 jersey when the qualifiers start.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    I am pretty sure liam lawrence is having an operation to clear up an injury for next season otherwise i am confident that he would have been included in the squad after a supperb season in the championship for stoke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    merging thread
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    merging thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Closed thread.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112