Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foreign languages

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Foreign languages

I myself studied Irish, Spanish and German.

I'm fluent in Irish. I went to all-Irish school for 14 years. It only comes in handy when you happen to meet someone else who speaks Irish and the two of yez can yak away, feeling like outsiders. I don't recall "learning" it. We were not allowed to speak English so Irish just came to us eventually.

I studied German for six years in primary and secondary and I hated it. I found it a very difficult language to learn and something about the pronounciation puts me off the language. I still remember very basic bits but whenever I've been in Germany, I haven't used it.

I love Spanish. I studied it in secondary and I'm lucky enough to continue studying it in college. I find it a very easy language to learn and I find it very useful, even here. It's easy to learn the pronounciation and I find it very easy to speak with Spaniards or native-speakers.

So what about the rest of yez? What other languages can you speak? Which do you find theasiest to learn?

I'm eagerly awaiting osarusan's reply (hopefully).
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Just for you Superfrank!

English - Fluent
    Irish - Basic
    German - Basic (used to be half decent, but never spoke a word since the leaving cert) (der die das - just shoot me)
    Japanese - Advanced (Speaking) Intermediate (Reading) Lower Intermediate (Writing)

Japanese is relatively easy to learn to speak, but truly brutal to learn to write.

As a language teacher, I've learned that the difficulty in learning a language relates mainly to two things - irregularities and unfamiliar tenses. As an example, Japanese students simply cannot understand any perfect tense because they don't exist in Japanese (nor does the future tense, surprisingly).

If I had a yen for every time I'd heard a student say "go to shopping", I'd be a rich man.
    Last edited by osarusan; 20/05/2008 at 3:21 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    The only foreign language I can speak or understand to a very high level is Irish, due to my schooling (trust me, nothing could be more foreign to a person of sensibility.) I don't speak it though, I'm sure you're all familiar with the old definition of a gentleman as one who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't.

My German's okay, I'd love to be fluent as I adore the language. Picked most of it up through Brecht in my teens. Easy-peasy to learn the basics if you speak English.

Don't like Southern European languages as I find them vulgar, excluding Italian.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    English, Irish and basic French (speaking) for myself, although I'd probably need a quick refresher course on both Irish and French due to lack of use in recent years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Are you all Irish?

If so, Irish is not considered a Foreign language to you as it is Irelands native language.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    irish would be almost fluent, really adore the language and studied it in third level.
    french is intermediate level and spanish the same, i could understand more than i can speak but i do ok.
    also have a bit of polish but just enough to get through the preliminaries and a very small bit extra

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I'm not from the Gaeltacht. The only reason my Irish is any good is because I went to all-Irish school for 14 years.

English is my native language. Irish is an official language but I've never heard anyone in Bray speaking it outside the school walls. The case is the same in most of the country.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    English fluent and Irish and French fairly fluent , didnt know Irish was a foreign language till I saw this thread

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    speak basic french, well enough to get round and stuff. I should be better considering my father used to teach french.....and spent many of my summer holidays in france.

Was terrible at Irish but would have liked to have been good.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Languages were never my thing. But I can get by on holiday in Spanish, Portugese and Italian

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I did 'O' level French and German and scraped a pass in both, pretty much hated both, especially having to do the German in just 2 years with a female
    concentration camp officer as a teacher
    I also did Latin for 2 years untill I could drop it, it was as hard a buggery
    for example they don't have 'articles'
    eg "Veni, Vidi, Vici"
    Means "I came I saw I conquered"
    The 'I' somehow is rolled into the verb - nasty stuff and it gets worse

I didn't like the langauages at the time, especially trying to speak them but I now find it interesting to try and read posts in foreign lanuages on the web, for example comments on utube. Usually I can have a half decent guess at what people are saying from context and because a lot of languages have similar roots, it works for languages I never learned, eg Portugese or Spanish.

There was an interesting bit on 'countdown' today about the word 'ambitious' which actually comes from the latin verb to walk, amble being the english version, so an ambitious person would do a lot of walking around. I suppose it might be called 'networking' these days.

I expect the web/internet will have a massive effect on the ability of 'foreigners' to speak English because it is a 'common language' and you can change country at the click of a button.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Fluent English and Irish, Went to a Gaelscoil Mysellf and had 2 fluent speaking parents. Learned french ad German at school, German I dropped after Junior Cert,but kept French on And got a B in my leaving Cert Higher Level. Currently Learning Spanish, find it the easiest to pick up of all the languages ive tried, but being fairly fluent in French there are similarities that help. Would love to have a go at Japanese or Chinese, had a couple of Chinese lads in my college class try to teach me before, but i think a lot got lost in translation!!!
    Més Que Un Club - More than a Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    I also did Latin for 2 years untill I could drop it, it was as hard a buggery
    for example they don't have 'articles'
    eg "Veni, Vidi, Vici"
    Means "I came I saw I conquered"
    The 'I' somehow is rolled into the verb - nasty stuff and it gets worse
    A bit like spanish maybe, were the "O" represent ing I is at the end of the word ie: Tengo - I have, Vengo - I come?

Or maybe not at all!!! lol
    Més Que Un Club - More than a Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Learnt French and German at school. was quite good at German, but had to drop it as i couldnt do just German, had to do French PLUS German. Didnt want to study the extra subject. Irish, id love to speak fluently but can get by.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire06 View Post
    Are you all Irish?

If so, Irish is not considered a Foreign language to you as it is Irelands native language.
    I agree. How can you describe Irish as "a foreign language" A language other than English perhaps but not "foreign".

Das kann Ich nicht verstehen!
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Put me in the 'Irish isn't a foreign language' camp. Maybe a 'second language' would be a better thread title, assuming we all have a basic grasp of English (some more basic than others).
    The last few years I've been speaking a little more Irish at home; trying to use the language for yourself, speaking to other Irish speakers is a world away from what was attempted in school.
    Other than that, when I've gone on holidays I've tried to learn the basic please and thank you stuff in Greek and Spanish, and, hopefully, French this year.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire06 View Post
    Are you all Irish?

True but when 90+% of the population can't speak it then I think it's worth bragging about it when you can

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    English - Fluent
    Irish - Advanced
    French and Spanish - Basic from Junior and Leaving Cert
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    True but when 90+% of the population can't speak it then I think it's worth bragging about it when you can

I'm not sure of the source for your statistic, but yes it is worth bragging about. It's the Foreign bit that Eire06 was pointing out.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    I'm not sure of the source for your statistic, but yes it is worth bragging about. It's the Foreign bit that Eire06 was pointing out.
    Just my own assumpation, I think one in ten people in Ireland at best can claim they can speak Irish to a high standard, could be wrong but that's my own experience

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast