Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Duff linked with Spurs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    The black-and-white game. I can't remember any 3-1 game... I know we lost 1-0 to them in '96 (Folha, 90th minute) and drew with them 1-1 twice in the 2002 WC qualifiers, but I can't remember any other meetings with Portugal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    The black-and-white game. I can't remember any 3-1 game... I know we lost 1-0 to them in '96 (Folha, 90th minute) and drew with them 1-1 twice in the 2002 WC qualifiers, but I can't remember any other meetings with Portugal.
    Clinton Morrison scored that class goal? I'm probably getting it mixed up but I nearly swear they beat Portugal 3-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Clinton Morrison scored that class goal? I'm probably getting it mixed up but I nearly swear they beat Portugal 3-1.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republi...esults_2000-09

You could be thinking about the Denmark game in 2002 when Duff was excellent. Morrison also scored a very good goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    That is it....cheers......I just don't know where I'm getting the image of Victor Baia rushing out of his goal only to be lobbed brilliantly by Morrison.

But yeah its that game all right, because it was in the last minute.

6 years ago?? Jeez, time flies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    He did it against China and Australia too! Big fan of the lobs, our Clinton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Was that the night they wore the black and white? Or was it the time we beat them 3-1?
    We won 1-0. Andy O'Brien scored and was awarded MOTM
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    That is it....cheers......I just don't know where I'm getting the image of Victor Baia rushing out of his goal only to be lobbed brilliantly by Morrison.

But yeah its that game all right, because it was in the last minute.

6 years ago?? Jeez, time flies.
    sounds like the 1-0 China game, keeper came rushing out at Clinton, he calmly curved the ball around him into the back of the net.
    Best thing about that game. By a distance
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    sounds like the 1-0 China game, keeper came rushing out at Clinton, he calmly curved the ball around him into the back of the net.
    Best thing about that game. By a distance
    Shocking game. What I remember from it was Roy Keane coming on as a sub (possibly the only time he ever did so for Ireland) and running into a hapless Chinese defender, who had to be stretchered off. Quite amusing. Off topic I know...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Shocking game. What I remember from it was Roy Keane coming on as a sub (possibly the only time he ever did so for Ireland) and running into a hapless Chinese defender, who had to be stretchered off. Quite amusing. Off topic I know...
    Yeah, I was also raging that Kerr didn't bring on McGeady in that game. I remember that after the Israel game he was taken out of the U21s so that he could be in the senior squad so I was really expecting him to play a part in the game.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    i dont think there ever was a 3-1 , not in recent times btwn us and portugal - the last time i can remember 3 goals scored in game between us was in 1995 - the euro 96 qualifiers - last group game - horrible wet night - we lost 3-0

ur right about the black and white in 2005- it was a horrible wet february evening and i remember duff and ronaldo kept squaring up to each other due to the chelsea vs man utd rivalry at the time - sheasie who knew both well kept having to act as a peacemaker btwn them - was very funny

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    did anyone see the lucozade test they did between The Gooch and Duffer, bad that an amateur who had been out boozing in chicago for the last 3 months, against a player at the end of season who should be fully fit, won 2 of the test out of 4......
    One of the things the Gooch won was hitting the ball harder. He hit a GAA ball 100kph to Duffer hitting a soccer ball 96kph. Considering the Gooch is known to be a smashing striker of the ball and Duffer isn't your point is barely relevant.

Also, he didn't beat him in two, he beat him in just that one. Duff is quicker, has better hand-eye co-ordination and jumps higher. That to me would indicate the lad's getting back to full fitness.

Also, how do you reckon a lad at the end of the season should be fitter than a guy who's been in Chicago for three months? Surely a seasons football would have taken it out of Duff?
    The inches we need are all around us.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie Bleecker View Post
    One of the things the Gooch won was hitting the ball harder. He hit a GAA ball 100kph to Duffer hitting a soccer ball 96kph. Considering the Gooch is known to be a smashing striker of the ball and Duffer isn't your point is barely relevant.

Also, he didn't beat him in two, he beat him in just that one. Duff is quicker, has better hand-eye co-ordination and jumps higher. That to me would indicate the lad's getting back to full fitness.

Also, how do you reckon a lad at the end of the season should be fitter than a guy who's been in Chicago for three months? Surely a seasons football would have taken it out of Duff?
    Might be tired but still fitter. In the sunday independent he got 19 and duff got 18 on the concentration, was that wrong then? Duff won the jump higher by a tiny amount, minimal amount.

In fairness hitting a ball harder isn't much of a feat, but thats not the title they had on them in the sunday independent.

A fella playing week in week out is going to be way fitter than some fella who has been boozing and holidaying in chicago for the last few months in fairness, no point in trying to even argue that one.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    I agree too. A few years ago you (EB) put together a compliation of Duff at his best which included, I think, mainly his last season at Blackburn his first season at Chelsea and some international footage. If anyone gets a chance to look at that you will get to see Duff scoring and setting up goals aplenty for Chealsea against the best teams in Europe in the Champions League, which was after he left Blackburn. Somewhere in the middle of his Chelsea career his form started to drop not as soon as he joined chelsea as is so often written on here. The fact that he continued to play well for Ireland would indicate it was as a result of the special one wanting him to play more defensively. However, his Newcastle nightmare can be put down to his injuries and only time will tell if he can turn it around.
    its on youtube. damien duff - wing wizard i think is the title. I can't post a link atm. I think the best bits are his runs against the likes of Boro, Italy, Newcastle. I really think currently only Messi has the close control that he had at his best. Just slight constant tips of the ball in front of him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    its on youtube. damien duff - wing wizard i think is the title. I can't post a link atm. I think the best bits are his runs against the likes of Boro, Italy, Newcastle. I really think currently only Messi has the close control that he had at his best. Just slight constant tips of the ball in front of him.
    Yeah I saw it. It's a great little video of him. It's such a massive shame as he started his Chelsea career so well and I genuinely believe he had the talent to be one of the top wingers in the world of his generation like Nedved and Figo. The injuries and tactical responsibility destroyed him. Hopefully he can put the injury worries behind him and have an "indian summer".
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Post on kerrydale street linking Duff with Celtic. salt, pinch, etc
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Post on kerrydale street linking Duff with Celtic. salt, pinch, etc
    well there are reports that Strachen has 20mil to spend this summer and Duff is a Celtic fan,he might fancy a go in the Champions league
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    well there are reports that Strachen has 20mil to spend this summer and Duff is a Celtic fan,he might fancy a go in the Champions league
    this would be a better move for celtic than Duff in my opinion. If Celtic are to break into the top 8 in the Champions league Duff is the exact kind of player they need, someone who can hold onto the ball, is quick in tight situations and good control in tight spaces, also someone who can create chances and beat defenders, which is what Celtic lack in Europe i.e. real quality. On the one hand I think it could be a great move for him, and on the other I think no. If average premiership teams are coming in for him then I would say go to Celtic, if top 8 team came in for him I would say stay in premiership. Duff is still class for Ireland no matter what people say about him at club level, he is still a class act when given the ball, if he were to go to Celtic he would adopt his old style of running at and beating defenders and whipping in crosses. In the SPL he would revel as the standard of defending isn't as good as the premiership and he would have more time and room on the ball. He would then have CL football, in or around 8 games a year which would be a decent amount in fairness, and I reckon he could help break Celtic into the top 8 which would mean an extra 2 games. The other part of me says going to the SPL for Duff is a step down, no matter what people say or who is offended the level of competition there is not on the same level as the premiership, and although I think it would give Duff greater confidence in himself being able to beat players like the old duffer of 03/04/05, from an Ireland perspective he wouldn't find it as easy on the international stage and therefore could actually lose that edge he has for Ireland.

Interesting position either way.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    this would be a better move for celtic than Duff in my opinion. If Celtic are to break into the top 8 in the Champions league Duff is the exact kind of player they need, someone who can hold onto the ball, is quick in tight situations and good control in tight spaces, also someone who can create chances and beat defenders, which is what Celtic lack in Europe i.e. real quality. On the one hand I think it could be a great move for him, and on the other I think no. If average premiership teams are coming in for him then I would say go to Celtic, if top 8 team came in for him I would say stay in premiership. Duff is still class for Ireland no matter what people say about him at club level, he is still a class act when given the ball, if he were to go to Celtic he would adopt his old style of running at and beating defenders and whipping in crosses. In the SPL he would revel as the standard of defending isn't as good as the premiership and he would have more time and room on the ball. He would then have CL football, in or around 8 games a year which would be a decent amount in fairness, and I reckon he could help break Celtic into the top 8 which would mean an extra 2 games. The other part of me says going to the SPL for Duff is a step down, no matter what people say or who is offended the level of competition there is not on the same level as the premiership, and although I think it would give Duff greater confidence in himself being able to beat players like the old duffer of 03/04/05, from an Ireland perspective he wouldn't find it as easy on the international stage and therefore could actually lose that edge he has for Ireland.

Interesting position either way.
    Couldnt agree with you more
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Would also be good for Ireland to have Duff and McGeady playing together regularly, would prefer if he went to Spurs(if he started regularly) but I think Celtic wouldn´t be a bad move and better than playing for some relegation team

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Maybe he's just moving to a bigger, brighter, shinier neighbouring house.

Maybe that one is infested with rats, cockroaches and a rare, exotic, poisonous breed of earwig.

Or maybe the unusual buoyancy in the swimming pool's water was causing his hamstrings grief.

Or maybe Stephen Ireland is due to move in next-door, so Duffer has to escape, flee the expected late-night, deafening din to ensure he gets his beauty sleep.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123