Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: The Amazing Mr Hancock

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

The Amazing Mr Hancock

Although we did win last night,Mr Hancock and the linesman Mr Delaney still amazed us showing just how little they no about being a referee.Just a few points
    (1)The main thing I noticed was that he didn't seem to know the meaning of advantage for either team.He kept bringing teams back to where the foul was when they may have scored if he'd played advantage.
    (2)He wouldn't let the players switch the ball as it was flat.It went out for a throw and the rovers player started saying it was flat instead of checking it himself he just gave out and said to get on with it.Everytime after this the ball went out of play a player wud shake it to show it was flat until they lost hope and sumone belted it over the stand,
    (3)Instead of the linesman indicating who's throw it is he waited for the ref to decide.
    (4)Judas should have had 4 yellow cards he went in with the boot up on darragh allready on a yellow,we got the free but when darragh showed hancock the stud marks he gave out to him.Reynolds caught the ball in hte first half and no one noticed.
    (5)When paddy was coming on,hancock decided to ignore it.Dempsey wouldn't take the kick out and started pointing at the linesman who was flagging for subs and the 4th official who was holding up the board but hancock kept telling him to kick it out.Finally Paddy just decided to come on anyway,by then it was too late for hancock to stop him so he decided to pretend he didn't notice.
    (6)At one stage when hancock was actually paying attention to a sub who was waiting to come on.Stephen Grant tried pull pip down but fell himself when the crowd reacted hancock turned around and gave a free to rovers and then lectured pip.
    (7)Molloy was coming back from an offside position wen he noticed the linesman was at the half way line so he turned around and scored.
    So there ya have it 7 points on what hancock did wrong and we won can ya imagine how many there would be if we lost.Still Hancock is a joke and hes bringing down the league.

Well done to the lads last night it was a great performance and well done to everyone for showing the rovers fans how its done
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Agree, he was a disgrace but no surprises there! Just goes to show when the lads put their minds to it and the atmosphere is good we can beat the best of em with the ref!!
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ref versus longford evry game
    their second goal was at least 2 yrds offside and we still won brilliant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I think that we need the FAI and eircom league to have a long hard look at the standard of the refs in this country and do they not train cos a lot of them stuggle to keep up with play.
    Fair play and consistancy is all we ask.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    do they not train cos a lot of them stuggle to keep up with play.
    I think that in recent seasons the players and teams have become more professional and the standard of fitness is better, yet the fitness tests and standards of fitness for officials are remaining static.

Another thing and this concerns GAA refs as much as soccer refs is that once you've put in the time rather than displayed a standard you get promoted, because they (refs) need to be kept sweetened.... I think the linesmen(women) disappoint me more than the Refs... The lineman didn't call that Offside...
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "Another thing and this concerns GAA refs as much as soccer refs is that once you've put in the time rather than displayed a standard you get promoted"

Where did u get that idea?
    Referees are assessed regularly and graded accordingly.
    The amount of time they put in has nothing to do with it.
    Once they reach a certain standard they have to maintain it .
    There are far more good refs out there than bad ones.
    The school of excellence where new up and coming refs are trained to the highest standard will soon bear fruit.

cheers.
    "tight? he's the kinda guy that eats baked beans on tuesday so's he can have a bubble bath on wednesday"!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Re: The Amazing Mr Hancock

Originally posted by Bosco

(3)Instead of the linesman indicating who's throw it is he waited for the ref to decide.
    A very standard practice...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by parnell ranger

Referees are assessed regularly and graded accordingly.
    The amount of time they put in has nothing to do with it.
    Once they reach a certain standard they have to maintain it .
    There are far more good refs out there than bad ones.
    The school of excellence where new up and coming refs are trained to the highest standard will soon bear fruit.
    IMO, I think the majority of supporters would disagree. Either assessment or the assessor (sp??) is of a low standard. I know referee's are promoted or relegated at the end of a season but very few instances of suspension has occurred in the past. I have no doubt that the school of excellence is a great idea and in time will change the game for the better but we're dealing with the present here and it's very fustrating for eL supporters.

The amount of time reasoning is that junior referee's get jobs as Linemen(women), to ensure they maintain their intrest in reffing the game at lower leagues. Linemen (in general) are hesitant and afraid of flagging many a decision...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    it's a topic that belongs in the eL forum, it affects more supporters than just Longford's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Originally posted by Xlex
    I think the linesmen(women) disappoint me more than the Refs
    Spot on. There are an average of at least 3 or 4 bad offside decisions in every match. In our home game against Pats this season, the linesman gave Pats offside wrongly at least 4 or 5 times in the first half.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    There is no way the vast majority of Refs and their assistance's would be getting adequate reports if they were being assessed properly..... And to back up Xlex's point, often when complaints are made from fans, refs are quick to point out that there isn't the numbers willing to do the job - to me that smacks of a convenient excuse for the continuing (and falling?) standards of officials in this league.

Drummerboy (I think) was chased out of it for suggesting that english refs should be brought over - to me that could only enhance the standard of Irish officials as they'd have a higher standard to compete with....

Too often teams are cost points by sh!t decisions - the arguement that it evens itself out over the season simply isn't good enough as far as I'm concerned....

Who actually does the assessment? Is it the 4th Official?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red face

you cant chastize irish celtic fans for supporting a scottish club above an irish club when you advocate importing english refs.
    To suggest theres a conspiracy against provincial clubs is ridiculous.
    the standard of irish refereeing has improved enormously .
    maybe if you improved your understanding of the laws of the game and had a more unbiased view of games you might reconsider your daft proposal.
    "tight? he's the kinda guy that eats baked beans on tuesday so's he can have a bubble bath on wednesday"!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    you cant chastize irish celtic fans for supporting a scottish club above an irish club when you advocate importing english refs.
    It's a totally different issue, and if nothing else people wouldn't be going around saying that the english refs were Irish (without getting into that debate again)

To suggest theres a conspiracy against provincial clubs is ridiculous.
    I would agree to some extent - personally I think it's a big club thing.... Do you think we would've got decisions against shels like they got against us? Maybe you've been languishing in the first too long to remember what it's like in the premier?

the standard of irish refereeing has improved enormously
    I can't except that statement at all - I'd say it's gone down in the last couple of seasons. A week doesn't seem to go buy without at least one game where both teams are saying the ref was sh!t

maybe if you improved your understanding of the laws of the game and had a more unbiased view of games you might reconsider your daft proposal.
    I think all fans need to swot up on the rules, but that doesn't change when it's an obvious dive, obvious hand ball, obvious shirt pull, blatant off side (or vica versa)....
    Any fan who says he isn't biased to some extent is either a liar or not a true fan - but it's not necessarily a question of that. We get decisions that I can't hardly believe we got, and again vica versa. It's not necessarily a partizan view to think the standards of the officials are extremely poor in this league, and it is dragging the league down.

btw WTF is this doing back in the Town section - this is eL general surely?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    btw WTF is this doing back in the Town section - this is eL general surely?
    I believe so... and so it is...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Were yiz any happier with him today ?
    EL grounds are like good episodes of The Simpsons, no matter how many times you see them they're still funny

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Originally posted by Macy
    A week doesn't seem to go buy without at least one game where both teams are saying the ref was sh!t
    A game hardly goes by in the English Premiership without the managers whingeing at the ref - does that mean that English refs are worse?

The idea of getting English refs over is an absolutely ridiculous one - first off, many of the lower league refs aren't fully pro and would not be able to get over for Friday evening matches. Secondly, the FA wouldn't give them over. Thirdly, they certainly wouldn't give us better refs than we have here - they need them to ref in England - so any refs we could theoretically get would be the same standard or worse than the refs in Ireland.

Learn the rules of the game before criticising refs - they'll still make stupid mistakes, but you'll see they're not as bad as you thought they were.

The umpires in the tennis are always getting abuse for "dodgy" calls - Wimbledon this year brought in Hawkeye which was able to show exactly whether a ball was in or not - 99% of the time, the umpire was right and the player was wrong. But because players go into hissy fits every time a call goes against them, people get the impression that the refs/umpires are always making mistakes. It's essentially propoganda - an opinion formed by virtue of one-sided communication.