Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A "Real GAA Man" Views on the LOI - Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    I have to disagree with you there. I don't think LOI fans hold contempt for the GAA in the same numbers that the GAA hold contempt for LOI.
    I don't want to split hairs, but of course the numbers are smaller when the total number of LOI fans is smaller to begin with. I'd estimate the the percentage of respective fans would be in the same ballpark.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    I have to disagree with you there. I don't think LOI fans hold contempt for the GAA in the same numbers that the GAA hold contempt for LOI.
    If the GAA minded their own business I wouldn't care what they did. You don't see LOI clubs going to the High Court to stop the GAA getting free land? Cork City Council proposing to hand over acres of valuable land to the GAA in docklands redevelopment.

Quote Originally Posted by reder View Post
    Can anyone explain to me why the government agreed to pay the players? I dont get that. Surely they should have just said, there's the money, off you go and sort it out yourself.
    I still fail to understand what makes GAA amateur players so special over all other amateur sports people. The fact they get big crowds is actually a reason NOT to pay them.

BTW the latest inter-county league game at Mayo where wood was thrown at opposition player had 3,000 attendance. Don't think figures released for other games.
    Last edited by pete; 27/03/2008 at 3:14 PM.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    A lot of members of a GAA club I was part of before I moved out of Dublin for a while attend Pats games players from this club also play football as well as GAA. Theres no ill feeling with any clubs or vice versa.

Also I know of some other clubs that even share facilities.

I find its mainly the older GAA members that provide barriers and who have the hardoned attitudes.

They'll eventually die off.

Any younger members I know or have coached tend to love any sort of sport and were encouraged to play whatever in our eyes keeping them off the street was just as important as fielding a team.

Its not uncommon to see young people in Ballyfermot DLS/Liffey Gaels jackets for example at Richmond and that has been the case for years.

At the end of the day sports clubs/associations should not be at war.

They should be all pushing for the one goal keeping children off the streets and away from drink and drugs.
    Theres a prize for bringing the most fans you know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by forza View Post
    At the end of the day sports clubs/associations should not be at war.

They should be all pushing for the one goal keeping children off the streets and away from drink and drugs.
    Well said. Unfortunately, most people in the GAA don't see it this way.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nothing surprices me about this GAA inbreds reaction. I've hated all thing GAA since I was 12. My family were after moving back to Ireland from England then and after I was enrolled in the local primary school me and a mate tried to take up hurling with the school team. We were the only ones banned from playing any Gaelic games in the school. The reason I was an English c unt (apparently) and my mate was a prod. We were told we shouldn't even be in the school. So now I take great delight in seeing the catholic church crumble and slagging off the incestuous inbred ways of the GAA.

League of Ireland and it's supporters s hits all over the GAA and it's pig eyed mutants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post

League of Ireland and it's supporters s hits all over the GAA and it's pig eyed mutants.
    I think you just paid Marty Morrissey a compliment there.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Its not so long ago down in Waterford that broken glass was been scattered in among the goalposts of a certain junior league soccer club and that it was linked to member(s) of another local GAA club
    On local radio a few months back a stalwart GAA bigot came on Matt keanes show "terrace talk" to say that he would openly go out and dig up all the GAA fields if they were left open to "foreign" sports.
    Now how bad is that ??
    I f***ing hate the p***ks in the GAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I was at the Ireland Cyprus game and there was a family in front of me in their Thomas Davis gear. I was almost foaming at the mouth at the hypocrisy of these *****s. Sure we'll take free tickets to Croker but on the other hand try and exterminate a local football club. The GAA, while a professionally run organisation, to me is a relic of a bigoted past. They belong in the time of priests, corporal punishment and leprechauns. Many a time were we ran off our local GAA pitch by a hurley wielding lunatic who thought it was a sin for us to play a "foreign" sport there. A grown man attacking kids with a hurl is an image I'll never forget. Bigoted *****

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    This is the type of attitude that has made me vow never to pay into a GAA match again.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    dont be silly theres no such thing as priests
    the old bigots are a dying bred ,mothers and fathers will not be lectured by the GAA or the church about what there children do, most people play both sports and dont see a problem .
    and your right that same ****er chased me with a hurley as well but i think it was because he fancied me
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passerrby View Post
    ***er chased me with a hurley as well but i think it was because he fancied me
    Are you hot? I might chase you with my hurley too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think a lot here are getting annoyed over nothing here. Don't say you have never met an ignorant boll**** like that before. Better to not get ****ed off about these things or that creep is definitely winning.

By the way on a side note, how come you say an unnamed LOI club? Is there a law stating you can't
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I think the OP was just trying to protect his own identity there

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Niall

Quote Originally Posted by strangeirish View Post
    I think you just paid Marty Morrissey a compliment there.
    Have had a really crap day at work, but that post have improved my mood no end - marvelous stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gaelic games (well basically just the hurling - not that made up 19th Century football rubbish) are a huge part of our national heritage. It's such a shame they are run by silly buggers intent on grabbing as much Government money as possible. Thank god we don't seem to have much of a problem with them in Derry.
    DCFC

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    i think the gaa are more scared of english football that the LOI if im honest. I hate this undercurrent feeling towards football that is prevalent even still in alot of gaa people. There may be a few who support football principally who have a similar feeling towards the gaa but no where near as many imo. I even think the media in ireland are biased towards the gaa over football. Now i know the fai dont help themselves but any time the fai do something wrong it gets much more coverage than if the gaa do. I cant understand how the gaa's finances are not scrutineered more. The organisation is making millions for letting of croke park, ticket receipts, sponsorship etc etc and yet there are numerous clubs throughout the country who have to fund raise to survive.

I hate the sort of them against us attitude that they have. I would love for football to have such a widespread and successful network in Ireland that they have. However, i do feel that this sort of attitude that i experienced myself playing gaa at underage prevents the development of football to its true potential in ireland. I know of many underage players who were treated badly from a gaa perspective because they played football for the local team as well.

I guarantee that if the roles had been reversed a few years back and the FAI had the 80k seater stadium and the gaa were left homeless and needed somewhere to play their big games, would there have been half the hassle?? No because the fai and its supporters wouldve been more than happy to let out to stadium and make a tidy profit on it as the gaa have done on the fais games. To be honest i cant wait to get back to LR, for one i dont think croker suits football, the atmosphere is rubbish there and im sick of the gaa attitude towards the fact that they are 'doing us a favour' by allowing us to play in their stadium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I went to a secondary school where one specific teacher manages to this day to prevent it having a football (sorry, spent too long in the UK to say 'soccer') team. And enforces a hurling team - in Kildare. Needless to say, sports in that school is for the most part dead - the GAA football team occasionally manages to do OK, but thats about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    My third level college also remaining namless runs a sports course where most of the lecturers/administrators would be GAA people. We had a choice between taking Gaelic or Soccer coaching badges. Little did i know that those who chose soccer would be penalised at any oppertunity. First and foremost while the GAA group were out coaching in local schools the soccer people were just not timetabled to coach in the community and were not allowed to do so when the head lecturer was approached. Many examples occured where the GAA group recieved better marks also....i s*it you not - we as a soccer group handed in logbooks plagerised from some of the GAA lads and all recieved inferior marks. One GAA lad handed in 4 pages of a log no cover, unstapled, no bibliography etc and recieved 72% not one of us got over 65%!!!! When it came to events or fundraising the soccer group were just not included or were given the ****tiest of jobs. Our development as coaches and other aspects of our course development were significantly hampered by our choice of soccer. The SU Pres was also a gaa head so we got no joy there either. I wont even go on about the GAA team being flown to match in Cork while the Soccer team were sent by coach for a more important match (the GAA were already relegated from their section)....equipment, paid coach and so on... bah im getting annoyed again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Boh so Good I hope you done the right thing and rang your clubs CPO to give him the details of the school for him to get involved with them..... never mind throwing chairs at him get the EL club in there that'll have him foaming at the mouth!!!
    "Are those my feet" Fr Jack Hackett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KianD View Post
    I went to a secondary school where one specific teacher manages to this day to prevent it having a football (sorry, spent too long in the UK to say 'soccer') team. And enforces a hurling team - in Kildare. Needless to say, sports in that school is for the most part dead - the GAA football team occasionally manages to do OK, but thats about it.
    Same as my secondary only replace GAA with rugby. They're not the only ones at it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast