Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank You Stan

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank You Stan

With the appointment of Trapattoni as our new manager, Tardelli as his assistant and the possibility of Chippy Brady also being involved I think it is now time that we Irish fans thank Stephen Staunton for f*cking up the Irish team in the last couple of years thus forcing the FAI to go out and do something right in appointing Giovanni.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Absolutely. We should go out and get him something. A few hundred grand should do it.

What's that? The FAI did it already? Fantastic. We should give Delaney something for his troubles. How about a long term contract?

What's that? The FAI did it already? I'm going to have to retract everything bad I ever said about them. Perhaps a Shamrock Rovers Easter egg for the board is in order. Who's with me?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McShels View Post
    With the appointment of Trapattoni as our new manager, Tardelli as his assistant and the possibility of Chippy Brady also being involved I think it is now time that we Irish fans thank Stephen Staunton for f*cking up the Irish team in the last couple of years thus forcing the FAI to go out and do something right in appointing Giovanni.
    I'd prefer to remember his contribution as a footballer, set out below from Wikipedia, instead of jeering him over a job he obviously wasn't up to. Thanks for the memories as a player, Stan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Staunton

Staunton made his debut for the Republic of Ireland in the 4–0 friendly win over Tunisia. He went to Italy with Jack Charlton's squad as the Republic of Ireland competed in their first ever FIFA World Cup finals. Staunton, the youngest member of the squad, played in every match at left back (though by now at club level he had also proved his usefulness as a central defender or midfield player) as the Republic of Ireland progressed to the quarter finals, when they were beaten by the host nation. Ireland never played football again, instead they prefered to sit on their arses and pretend they were once a decent team. Bobby Charlton famously stated, "Fish have more productive lives than the Irish football team".

He also represented the Republic of Ireland at FIFA World Cup 1994 in the United States. Again, he played in each game as the Republic of Ireland succumbed in the second round to the Netherlands.

The Republic of Ireland failed to qualify for both Euro 96 in England and the 1998 World Cup in France, though Staunton was still selected regularly for the team.

The Republic of Ireland qualified for the 2002 World Cup held in Japan and South Korea. Coach Mick McCarthy, who had been Staunton's captain at the country's first World Cup 12 years earlier, selected him for the squad and following the departure of Roy Keane from the squad, due to a bust up with McCarthy, Staunton was appointed captain for the tournament.

Again, Staunton played in every Republic of Ireland game of the tournament, with the 1–1 group match draw against Germany on 5 June proving to be a very special occasion as it was his 100th appearance for his country. Together with Gary Breen, he formed an impressive central defensive partnership in front of Shay Given. Staunton remains the only footballer to have reached a century of caps for the Republic of Ireland national team.

Ireland's competition ended once more in the second round when they lost agonisingly to Spain in a penalty shoot-out after the game had finished 1–1. Staunton announced his retirement from international football immediately afterwards after setting a national record of 102 appearances. He is the only player to have played in every single one of Ireland's 13 World Cup finals games.

On two occasions he scored directly from corner-kicks. The first of which came in a 2-0 victory over Portugal on June 7th 1992, during a US Cup game in Boston and the second came in a 3–0 defeat of Northern Ireland on 31 March 1993 during a World Cup qualifier in Dublin.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I'd prefer to remember his contribution as a footballer, set out below from Wikipedia, instead of jeering him over a job he obviously wasn't up to. Thanks for the memories as a player, Stan.

Staunton made his debut for the Republic of Ireland in the 4–0 friendly win over Tunisia. He went to Italy with Jack Charlton's squad as the Republic of Ireland competed in their first ever FIFA World Cup finals. Staunton, the youngest member of the squad, played in every match at left back (though by now at club level he had also proved his usefulness as a central defender or midfield player) as the Republic of Ireland progressed to the quarter finals, when they were beaten by the host nation. Ireland never played football again, instead they prefered to sit on their arses and pretend they were once a decent team. Bobby Charlton famously stated, "Fish have more productive lives than the Irish football team".
    He also represented the Republic of Ireland at FIFA World Cup 1994 in the United States. Again, he played in each game as the Republic of Ireland succumbed in the second round to the Netherlands.

The Republic of Ireland failed to qualify for both Euro 96 in England and the 1998 World Cup in France, though Staunton was still selected regularly for the team.

The Republic of Ireland qualified for the 2002 World Cup held in Japan and South Korea. Coach Mick McCarthy, who had been Staunton's captain at the country's first World Cup 12 years earlier, selected him for the squad and following the departure of Roy Keane from the squad, due to a bust up with McCarthy, Staunton was appointed captain for the tournament.

Again, Staunton played in every Republic of Ireland game of the tournament, with the 1–1 group match draw against Germany on 5 June proving to be a very special occasion as it was his 100th appearance for his country. Together with Gary Breen, he formed an impressive central defensive partnership in front of Shay Given. Staunton remains the only footballer to have reached a century of caps for the Republic of Ireland national team.

Ireland's competition ended once more in the second round when they lost agonisingly to Spain in a penalty shoot-out after the game had finished 1–1. Staunton announced his retirement from international football immediately afterwards after setting a national record of 102 appearances. He is the only player to have played in every single one of Ireland's 13 World Cup finals games.

On two occasions he scored directly from corner-kicks. The first of which came in a 2-0 victory over Portugal on June 7th 1992, during a US Cup game in Boston and the second came in a 3–0 defeat of Northern Ireland on 31 March 1993 during a World Cup qualifier in Dublin.
    That bit stood out for me in what was otherwise an entirely serious piece.....

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Absolutely. We should go out and get him something. A few hundred grand should do it.

What's that? The FAI did it already? Fantastic. We should give Delaney something for his troubles. How about a long term contract?

What's that? The FAI did it already? I'm going to have to retract everything bad I ever said about them. Perhaps a Shamrock Rovers Easter egg for the board is in order. Who's with me?
    hahaha- brilliant stuff

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    That bit stood out for me in what was otherwise an entirely serious piece.....
    Anyone can add to Wikipedia. I could put in a piece myself if I liked as I am a WIkipedia contributor. In fact it's gone already.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 15/02/2008 at 12:44 PM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Fair play, OwlsFan. I was as critical of Stan (the Manager) as the next man, but I think its only fitting that he retains the respect he earned as a player.

The blokes received a battering - a lot of it self inflicted, he took the job, he was well compensated, etc etc, I know - but continual sniping at him at this stage is ungracious and cowardly.

I was on the terrace the day he made his debut against Tunisia and I think everyone was impressed with how assured he was for 18 years of age. Even at that early stage many predicted he would be an Ireland player for many years.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No, his respect went when he held us to randsom for 800,000, should have walked away knowing his inability to to the job, neck like a jockeys b*ll*x...no time for the man!
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Completely agree. I'd like to think that Staunton will be remembered for his time playing for Ireland rather than his time as our manager. The fact that he has been turned into a figure of fun by a lot of people, who to a certain extent wouldn't even cross the road to see Ireland play, is a bit much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    No, his respect went when he held us to randsom for 800,000, should have walked away knowing his inability to to the job, neck like a jockeys b*ll*x...no time for the man!
    Disagree completely, respect for Stan (the player)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Anyone can add to Wikipedia. I could put in a piece myself if I liked as I am a WIkipedia contributor. In fact it's gone already.
    Really???

I thought it was true....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    Complete nonsense. He had a 4 year contract that was terminated before the half way mark and so deserved compensation

EDIT: Was just told that Wikipedia once had in their World War 2 profile, 'World War 2 could be described as a storm in a teacup',
    Last edited by jebus; 15/02/2008 at 1:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    ...The fact that he has been turned into a figure of fun by a lot of people, who to a certain extent wouldn't even cross the road to see Ireland play, is a bit much.
    A lot of people seem happy to let bygones be bygones with Staunton. That's fine.

Others will remember painful defeats, staunch denial that there was a problem, stupid, bitchy comments about being 'forced out by the media', an insulting attitude towards the fans, a refusal to admit to any error or failing on his behalf and damage done to the profile of the game in this country. This is also fine.

These others are not "cowards", Wolfie, nor are they people "who to a certain extent wouldn't even cross the road to see Ireland play", Paulie. That dismissal is insulting and deeply misguided.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hear, Hear, but I already posted this before the game v Wales to the upset of many vindictive fools on here

Major kudos to those who did not show up for the Cyrus games though holding tickets (me for one!!) and to those who booed as it was this and the subsequent media onslaught that led to the awakening of the FAI....as unfortunate as it was for Stan, a man clearly out of his depth in the position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    A lot of people seem happy to let bygones be bygones with Staunton. That's fine.

Others will remember painful defeats, staunch denial that there was a problem, stupid, bitchy comments about being 'forced out by the media', an insulting attitude towards the fans, a refusal to admit to any error or failing on his behalf and damage done to the profile of the game in this country. This is also fine.

These others are not "cowards", Wolfie, nor are they people "who to a certain extent wouldn't even cross the road to see Ireland play", Paulie. That dismissal is insulting and deeply misguided.
    What with Stan, Paulie and Wolfie's insults you must be feeling like crap right about now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    What with Stan, Paulie and Wolfie's insults you must be feeling like crap right about now
    A few weeks back, on another website, someone posed a question about a fundamental result in my area of expertise. He felt that it couldn't possibly be true. I explained it. He still didn't understand, and insulted me. I didn't feel bad. I felt he was an idiot. I was right.

Likewise, if someone calls me a coward, or an idiot, or something less polite for having a different opinion to them on a contentious issue, be it Roy Keane, Steve Staunton, Bertie Ahern, abortion, Europe, education, immigration or any of the thousands of topics that people debate (generally with half the facts - the half that supported their bias before they looked into it), I won't feel bad. I'll feel that they are irrational and impolite; I may even think they're a jerk, but I won't feel bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I think if I saw Stan walking down the street today I'd be more inclined to punch him than hug him. (disclaimer; wouldn't do either, just used as helpful hypothetical illustration)

One can forgive his ineptitude as a manager, we'll never forget his commitment as a player, but his belligerent attitude whilst manager has left a distinctly sour after-taste. Washing this out with memories of his playing days won't be all that easy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Could you do us a favour and add the following re Stan

.. in Saipan showed early signs of his inability to make sound judgements and his lack of a grasp of reality as he sat with Mick McCarty at the press conference when McCarthy announced that he had sent Roy Keane home.

Staunton by supporting McCarthy demonstrated his unquestionable talent for crass opportunism as he stood firmly behind McCarthy's error and thus was rewarded by McCarthy with a starting berth and captaincy of the Irish team , his only contribution to which was getting caught out by Klose and letting him score against Ireland.

Contiuned to act in a delusional manner whilst the Manager of the ROI team, incidents of note being, bringing in Mick Byrne to act as his cheerleader, stating that "...San Marino will trouble other teams and have a major say in this Group..." and the crowning moments by which his ill fated tenure will be remembered continuing to select Alan O'Brien to play and playing Joey O'Brien in midfield against Cyprus.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The Irish job has a habit of turning its ex-managers into bitter people, first Kerr now Stan, Mick should be more bitter than either of them though as I felt his treatment was the least deserved as I thought he was doing a pretty good job, Anyway I don't blame Stan for taking the money I just wish he wouldn't make comments like "we're a little different" which just makes himself look more foolish

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm in two minds about Staunton. He had a remarkable playing career with us, but the **** that he was spouting whilst in charge of the team and is still coming out with really makes me cringe. I understand that he's just defending his reputation but he could do it a little more elegantly. Some of the **** that he came out with whilst in charge of the team was just plain insulting to anyone who is a true supporter of the team.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast