Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Starting XI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Starting XI

Assuming everyone is fit what do people think our starting XI will be against Bohs on the first day of the season?

I'd go with

Rogers

Keane
    Fitzgerald
    Regi
    McCulloch

O'Shea
    Lester
    Deegan
    O'Brien

Leech
    O'Flynn
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Would go with that myself but Keano looks like he will miss the start of the season so Reggi to Right Back J.L. to Centre Half and Russeler as attacking midfielder.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    How long will Greg O’Halloran be out for? i would have him in midfield

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Rogers

Keane
    Fitzy
    Reggie
    McCulloch

DOB
    Deegan
    Russell
    O'Shea

Glynn
    Leech

How could ya want Greg or Lester in the middle.... our options there are 10 times better then them. 2 good defenders though but nowhere good enough for the middle
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
    How long will Greg O’Halloran be out for? i would have him in midfield
    FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitd View Post
    FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

So is it more of the long ball rubbish again this year Greg was the only person i saw playing football on the ground last year. The long ball game wont bring more people through the gate.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

starting 11,

Rodgers,
    Reggi,Fitz,Lester,Mc.Cullough
    O.shea,O.halloran,Robson,DOB
    Leech,O.Flynn.
    o.shea could turn out to be an excellent signing.i know it was just one game i seen him in but he has potential.i agree that o.halloran is the only one who takes the ball down and plays it on the ground,WE NEED HIM IN THERE.
    the rest picks itself apart from Keane who would be in if wasnt injured.how long will keane be out for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with gilberto's team. Glynn will start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    glynn will definitely start ahead of leech

greg in fairness did try to take it down but then his distribution let him down - heres hoping for a season free of hoofball!!
    more water!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    at the risk of being hung drawn and quartered I don't really rate Glynn too highly. I know he scored a lot of goals last season but I reckon that most defenders had cottoned onto him by the end of the season, He is a bit of a one trick pony, if they can deal with his pace teams are not really troubled by him. He seems to offer very little else. I haven't seen Leech play as yet but I don't think the Glynn will score (or start) nearly as many games this year as last.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post
    at the risk of being hung drawn and quartered I don't really rate Glynn too highly.
    I'll keep you company on the gallows as I agree - we saw last season that when he was without Flynn beside him, he was pants, too reliant on other players to shine which is why I would start Flynny and leech up front, and have Glynn to spring from the bench
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    at the risk of being hung drawn and quartered I don't really rate Glynn too highly. I know he scored a lot of goals last season but I reckon that most defenders had cottoned onto him by the end of the season, He is a bit of a one trick pony, if they can deal with his pace teams are not really troubled by him. He seems to offer very little else. I haven't seen Leech play as yet but I don't think the Glynn will score (or start) nearly as many games this year as last.

Thats true alright he scored something like 6 in 6 and only another 2 for the rest of the season. The style of play doesnt suit him though in fairness he is never going to score from long balls. He is worth is place as long as there is an effort made to use his pace by the team. Its a wait on see about Leech for me. I remember him when he started out with Drogheda he looked like he would be a good player but he slipped alot since then and i think i remember he retired at one stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    The step up Glynn made last season was astonishing, if he improves half as much this coming season as he did last he will be one the top strikers in the league. The one dimensional argument doesn't make sense to me. How many multi-dimensional strikers are there in the league?
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    he may rely a lot on his pace - and he did look bad in the second half of the season but that was all the long balls - but he is a clinical finisher also
    more water!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuisaSaigon View Post
    The step up Glynn made last season was astonishing, if he improves half as much this coming season as he did last he will be one the top strikers in the league. The one dimensional argument doesn't make sense to me. How many multi-dimensional strikers are there in the league?
    you see far from awaiting another step up from the lad I reckon he was actually found out last year. As I said I am prepared to put my neck on the line so here goes:

Negatives:
    He has virtually no ability in the air
    Is unable to hold the ball up.
    Is totally ineffective with his back to goal.
    Doesn't seem to make any intelligent runs.
    Appears lazy.
    Looked to be marked out of games more often than not in the second half of the season.
    Runs in straight lines.
    Is not able to create chances for players around him.
    Relies too much on his partners strengths i.e. only looked decent with O'Flynn beside him.

Positives:
    Is fast
    Can finish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    In fairness to Derek the standard of Players he had to play with when Flynny was out was abysmal.I think he will score 8 plus this season simply on the addition of Leech to the squad.

Our biggest problem was our midfield chipped in with very few goals last year and thats something i think will improve also this year.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    At first when defenders didn't know him he constantly burned them for pace but the smarter ones soon cottoned on to this and now give themselves a few yards start on him.

That said he can hardly do much when scud missiles are being launched from the back at him from 50 yards away. That's not his game. If we had someone to slide little balls through for him he could get on the shoulders of defenders and turn them.

Still think he'll chip in with his fair share this season as he is a good finisher in the box.
    Last edited by Maroon 7; 13/02/2008 at 4:49 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Glynn-Owen.

Gylnn is a similar type of player to michael owen.owen had his best season at liverpool and any club the year he played with heskey and houlllier and had them playing almost always on the counter attack.for away games the pace of both glynn and o.brien will be great for counter attacking football though.
    the ball has to played to feet this season though,anymore hoofball and attendances will drop away sharply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuisaSaigon View Post
    How many multi-dimensional strikers are there in the league?
    Kuduzovic (Sligo) Behan (Cork) Mooney (Longford) Zayed (Drogs) Purcell (Rovers) are five that spring to mind. All good in the air, all quick, Behan in particular very good strength, the accusation of one-trick pony could never be levelled against any of them . . . .
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1 View Post
    Rodgers,
    Reggi,Fitz,Lester,Mc.Cullough
    O.shea,O.halloran,Robson,DOB
    Leech,O.Flynn.
    o.shea could turn out to be an excellent signing.i know it was just one game i seen him in but he has potential.i agree that o.halloran is the only one who takes the ball down and plays it on the ground,WE NEED HIM IN THERE.
    the rest picks itself apart from Keane who would be in if wasnt injured.how long will keane be out for?
    I probably agree with your team but I did think that Robson was inconsistent last season, I suppose most players were. However I think that John russell is nearly our best player for taking the ball down and taking it forward, playing it on the ground and in the air and making something happen. I'd love to see him get in the XI early and put in some good performances. He has great potential but injury and lack of game time has held him back a good bit.
    pain is only temporary, glory is forever.