Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fran Gavin on AIL proposals in Sunday Indo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_T View Post
    LOL. dcfcsteve's head just exploded...........
    one tries ones best
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_T View Post
    LOL. dcfcsteve's head just exploded...........
    I doubt it's possible to make someone explode through boring them, though seems Passerby is intent to find out......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Steve- don't you accept that the FAI interest in the league has shown marked improvement before there was any word of an AIL? For example prizemoney and TV coverage have hugely improved. To retrospectively attribute this to the AIL proposals seems disingenuous.
    It has improved - yes. But they were working from an incredibly low base - it would've been hard not to improve on things. Also - some initial improvement form the FAI was inevitable, as they subtly justified taking control of the league by delivering some early benefits.

But I doubt it's a huge coinidence that they seem to be much more attentive to the league since Platinum appeared on the scene. The comments from the FAI since the AIL was first leaked shows that they are aware they're fighting a rear-guard action.

Only time will tell I guess.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Steve- don't you accept that the FAI interest in the league has shown marked improvement before there was any word of an AIL? For example prizemoney and TV coverage have hugely improved. To retrospectively attribute this to the AIL proposals seems disingenuous.
    Prizemoney & TV coverage have only increased since SETANTA came into the market - The SETANTA CUP started with prizemoney of €150 for the winners & within months the FAI increase prizemoney for the league winners (from 18k to nearer 200k - not sure of these figures - memory isn't so good).

we had spent YEARS getting RTE to show 6 (!!!) live games a season - INCLUDING Cup Games - then Setanta start showing their Cup Games (& defered games & some league games) & SUDDENLY there is an interest from the FAI in promoting the league through (multiple & regular)live games on RTE & TG4

What I am saying is they have only been REACTIVE up until now - never pro-active

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    OK, that's fair enough- but I think if the FAI used Setanta's arrival to get more coverage than previously then more power to them.

But licensing (flawed and all as it is) and the CPO system have been two positive developments for the league introduced independent of this or the AIL being muted. Also I can say that the FAI have been excellent in helping with the Harps stadium move for instance. Sure there's a long way to go, and flaws aplenty, but for the first time I remember things have been showing a real improvement.

It may be that the AIL stuff sharpens FAI focus further- and that's great, but I reckon the biggest problem for the league historically has been the incompetence and short-sightedness of the clubs themselves. FAI indifference didn't help, but to blame the FAI for the league's demise and to give no credit for recent progress seems unfair, and hypocritical coming from clubs who have been their own worst enemy.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123