Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Crowe after 7 minutes

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Crowe after 7 minutes

City started "brightly"..and then Glen chips it over the outcoming Devine (or should that be latecoming)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Flynn equalised 25min.
    (Thanks to Applehunter on Citynet)

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    1-1 FT
    Penalty Appeal turned down before HT, O'Flynn taken down by Matt Gregg but Jimmy O'Neill reckoned he'd given us enough lately.

George seemingly had 2 great chances late on.
    I'd have taken it before hand.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by razor

I'd have taken it before hand.
    As would Dolan, I'd reckon.
    Its a good result and 4 points from Bohs already

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    from the FAI site

Bohemians were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Cork City on Monday night as the Champions picked up just one point for the fourth time in six games at Dalymount Park this season.

Glen Crowe put Bohemians in front after just seven minutes, but a wonderful by John O'Flynn on 25 minutes leveled the scores and, although both sides had chances to win the game, a draw was a fair result.

Crowe scored a wonderful opening goal after seven minutes when he brilliantly lobbed Michael Devine from the edge of the area after Neal Horgan's back pass had dropped short.

In the side's last meeting at Dalymount Park, Crowe grabbed two goals in what was an easy victory for the Champions, but Cork are made of sterner stuff this season and they refused to lie down and it was no surprise when they pulled level in the 25th minute through O'Flynn.

The Republic of Ireland Under 21 star, alongside George O'Callaghan, was a constant thorn in Bohemians side and they combined magnificently for the equaliser with O'Callaghan playing a perfectly weighted pass through for O'Flynn to rifle into the corner of the net from the edge of the area.

Stephen Caffrey almost put Bohemians back in front within 90 seconds with a header that Devine needed to go full length to save while the Gypsies midfielder was guilty of wasting a great opportunity in the 35th minute when he put a shot wide from 12 yards after Crowe had picked him out unmarked in the box.

But the home side were also fortunate not to give away a penalty when Ken Oman barged O'Flynn off the ball, only for referee Jim O'Neill to overrule his assistant and wave play on.

Angered by the decision, Cork went in search of a second goal before half time and they had three great opportunities in the space of a minute with Matt Gregg making two marvellous reaction saves from O'Flynn and O'Callaghan before Conor O'Grady blasted the ball wide of the gapping goal.

It was always unlikely that the game could maintain its frenetic pace and in the second half, chances were at a premium as Cork were forced to sit deeper as Bohemians pushed on looking for victory.

Crowe was their main threat and he should have scored seconds after the restart when he beat the Cork offside trap only to fire wide of the goal. When he and Bohemians did hit the target however, their efforts lacked the necessary conviction to beat Devine.

Encouraged on by the Gypsies lack of penetration, Cork came more out of their shell as the minutes ticked by, but never with the same cutting edge and dynamicism as in the first half. But they still created a great opportunity to win the game four minutes from time when Kevin Doyle played in O'Callaghan only for the striker to blast wide with just the goalkeeper to beat.

And O'Callaghan also drove wide in stoppage time after racing clear from the half way line.

Teams:
    Bohemians: Gregg; Lynch, Hawkins, Oman, Webb; Ryan, Caffrey, Hunt, Rutherford; Doyle, Crowe.
    Subs: Pereplyotkin for Doyle (75 mins), Harkin for Rutherford (85 mins), Keegan for Crowe (89 mins).

Cork City: Devine; Horgan, Bennett, Murray, Woods; Doyle, C T O'Brien, O'Grady, Hedderman; O'Callaghan, O'Flynn.
    Sub: Behan for Hedderman (55 mins), Buckley for Behan (85 mins)

Referee: J O'Neill (Waterford).

[SIZE=1]pity Useless Kelly was not in goal :-([/SIZE]

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    what happind behan came on then tyaken off again
    i`m back and i didnt bring no dame ball with me all i brought was a big fat can of whooop ass Austin 3:16

Neil
    Originally posted by steven17
    what happind behan came on then tyaken off again
    Behan came on on the left wing for Hedderman and started having a nightmare. Doyle switched with him so he was on the right but still nothing went right for him. It was just one of those days for him.

IMO Behan is being hard done by. He is a good player but should be nowhere near the wing or midfield. He's a target man.

Neil

My view of the game

Even though we should have (and deserved to) come away with the three points, I was happy enough with the point because I thought we played by far the better football and were creating chances. No matter how **** Bohs are, they still have some good players.

I'd settle for that, for the time being, rather than snake a win by playing bad football.

Devine made a couple of good saves.

Benno and Murray (esp) were outstanding. Both always looked to take the ball down and look for a player. Hoggy good. Woods good but doesn;t seem to want to take a player on any more?

Colin T had a great game (again) and O'Grady had his best game for ages. Doyle was brilliant. Hedderman ok.

Flynny - usual brilliance. Should have been given a peno.
    Georgie - close to man of the match. Missed two almost identical chances to win it but they weren't easy (pity that clown Shay Kelly wasn't in goal!)

Close to 100 City fans (50 in Block A and more scattered throughout the stand). New drums are good. 3 big flags went down well. Players and Pat Dolan came over as a group at the end and applauded away fans.

Bohs crowd are pathetic. barely 2000 there, Very quiet, no flags, no drums... what happened to the crowd that lit up Turners X last year?

Some City fans were interviewed by Sky Sports! Keep an eye out for a documentary next week on Summer Soccer...!

One of the better trips...

Back again next Monday....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: My view of the game

Originally posted by Neil
    Close to 100 City fans (50 in Block A and more scattered throughout the stand). New drums are good. 3 big flags went down well.
    Yeah, nice bit of colour with the flags and so on, drums also sounded good. I think we put the flags in a good spot and it looked like they were almost in amongst the fans.
    Bohs had no flags or anything, they seem to have really gone down in the fan display stakes. They put on one of the best displays I've seen in the Cross last season but last night they had no colour whatsoever and barely managed 3 chants for the whole match. Attendance was very poor.
    Overall it was a good trip and hopefully we can keep the Monday night vibe going for the League Cup Semi next week.
    Champions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

we've a better monday nite vibe

4-1

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: My view of the game

Originally posted by Neil

Some City fans were interviewed by Sky Sports! Keep an eye out for a documentary next week on Summer Soccer...!

heh heh. i ran all the way down the steps and hit the drum really loudly right next to the camera, and the interviewer almost had a heart attack! Made my night!

It was an enjoyable enough game, happy with the point I s'pose. Flynny's goal was one of the best I'll see all season, not so much for the strike, but for the fact the move started at left back and ended up in the back of the net 5 or 6 passes later. Quality stuff.
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Reading the Echo tonight, Spillage and Ken O'Connor say that City should have won.
    O'Connor says we dominated the game.
    Spillage says that Doyler had a great game.
    Conor George (who he ?) says we were lucky, were hanging on for long periods, Doyler was no good, and lucky not to be beaten and a shade unlucky not to win.

Two very different descriptions of the same game.
    Who is right?
    Last edited by patsh; 02/07/2003 at 8:32 AM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [i]
    Two very descriptions of the same game.
    Who is right? [/B]
    If you only look at the first twenty or so minutes of the second half, then you'd go with Conor George. On balance though City would have been full value for all three points. For me Dan stood out, thought he looked extremely comfortable on the ball. As Neil said while unfortunately it wasn't a win the standard of football from City, particularly the goal, was compensation.
    "Allow children to learn by making their own mistakes, laughing at their stupidity often helps."