Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Limerick Schoolboys - Disgusted

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Limerick Schoolboys - Disgusted

Just back in school after taking a bunch of 6th class kids to a tournament in Mary I. Four games per team, but unfortunately we didn't make the finals.

Kids enjoyed two of the games that were referreed by an elderly guy who is a regular face in schoolboy soccer - he did a great job, was nice to the kids, and had all his games under control.

The other guy, a very overweight guy, was another story. he stood at the half-way line, made practically no calls, and wasn't watching the match. While it wasn't too bad in the first game, the second game descended into a farce once his FAI buddy appeared on the sidelines. The guy genuinely seemed more interested in what was happening on the sidelines than on the field. This lead to the other team lunging in studs up at every opportunity - our fat ref couldn't see it as he was at the half-way line. We finished up the game with one kid with stud marks on his leg having to be subbed off bawling his eyes out, and our goalkeeper with a vicious bang to the face. On a number of occasions he called for frees, wasn't watching what happened and reversed decisions - on one occassion he changed his mind 3 times.

I said it to him that I was worried about the kids as there were very dangerous tackles being put in and I didn't fancy a trip to the hospital. His responses were:

1. "Ah sure, I won't call anything in this game, leave them off, sure aren't they enjoying themselves."
    (Somehow I don't think the injured kids were enjoying themselves...)

2. "Sure there's no need for me for me to go box to box, I'm fine here."
    (Yet, he couldn't see what was happening either end - but I suppose the side line is more interesting).

3. "Ah if he gets hurt it's his fault."
    (...said while he retained not an ounce of control over the game).

I was disguisted. When we arrived they didn't even have footballs to play with, we were lucky that we had brought our own. The FAI put f*ck all effort into this, just the same as the 5-a-side tournaments we played earlier in the year. I hate to say it but if they don't improve the arrangements for these tournaments and bring the standard of referreeing up to a standard where no-one need fear about the safety of their children I will flat out refuse to bring children to these competitions.
    Last edited by deise deserter; 17/06/2003 at 2:23 PM.
    "Anyone who's Soapy should be flushed and anyone who's a Deserter should be shot."
    - John Purcell (Limerick FC Commercial Manager), February 2004

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    what sort of tournament was it?

was this FAI run?

if so, was there FAI representation there?

were the referees actually qualified, registered and affiliated?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    All was above board - no complaints about that. Organisation (only notified about it yesterday) and standards of refereeing were the problem. Not going to name names as that is not what the post was about, but I am sure you can understand my annoyance at what happened,

As you can understand putting time and effort into training school teams and bringing them along to these tournaments is enjoyable and time well spent for everyone involved. It is incredibly disheartening however to see children being put at risk due to lazy refereeing.

It really makes me wonder if it is worth making the effort. As there are so few people involved with schoolboy soccer in Limerick, I will simply check who the referees are before the tournament, and I won't bring children if that particular referee is there.

It's sad that I have to do it, but it's better than running the risk of a trip to the hospital and the risk of the school being taken to court by the children's parents.
    "Anyone who's Soapy should be flushed and anyone who's a Deserter should be shot."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Complain to the FAI about him, it's the only way that something might get done about it.
    Last edited by Schumi; 17/06/2003 at 2:20 PM.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would gladly do it - do you know how I would go about it.

We have had problems in the girls 5 a-side tournament where one girl broke her arm and it was left to one of our teachers to bring the child to hospital, despite paying 30 euros per team. There has also been a consequence to the school because of that incident, which I am afraid I can't comment on.

Simply I won't put myself on the firing line to result in hospital visits and possible litigation due to poor oganisation and poor standards from the FAI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Originally posted by deise deserter
    I would gladly do it - do you know how I would go about it.
    I don't I'm afraid, I suppose you could ring them.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Checked the FAI website and there doesn't seem to be a list of all contacts only the general one which would be a waste of time... Typical isn't it!!!

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I should add though that DD and his felow teacher were a bit over-critical of their own players too! Dermot Keely would have blushed!
    The ball is round and has many surprises.