Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clinton Morrison's omission?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Morrison isn't just a championship trier who gives 120%...he's actually quite talented. I don't think division can be the be-all end-all when it comes to judging a players ability, there are plenty of strikers in the premier league who are not as good as Morrison.
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I was very disapointed for the guy, no doubt he deserves to be in the squad. I wasnt so sure of him when he started out with us but he has really grown on me and i must say i am now a big fan of his and he seems a spot on guy. I might be wrong but has he not been selected for a squad since the Cyprus debacle. He started that game so it was another case of making him(along with Kenny and A. O'Brien) scapegoats for a horrendous performance from evryone on the team. It was a terrible way to treat a player who was arguably our best player in the 2006 World Cup qualifiers. Plus he gives us something very different and has a very different style to Doyle and Keane. He would be an excellent option to have on the bench and deserves to be ahead of the likes of Long, Stokes and Murphy who have done little this season and still done little to justify a place in the squad ahead of Clinton. I hope we see Clinton in the squad again soon, we need more players who play with their hearts on their sleeves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    [QUOTE=tetsujin1979;863572]Kenny said he didn't want to play for Ireland until he got some personal stuff sorted out, has there been any change in this?
    [QUOTE]

Im fairly confident he has made himself available again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    A previous poster has commented that Clinton has had too many bad games. He has been one of our best players over the last 3 years, every time he pulls on that shirt he gives 120% and clearly lacks the spirit the deserts some of his more treasured teammates
    I'd agree with you there , I'd have Clinton back in there in a heartbeat , He's proven for us at international level and is on good form , it should be a no-brainer really.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post

So you think Murphy isn't good enough, but you still wouldn't have picked Morrison?
    It's a friendly being managed by a caretaker. It's clear to me what Givens is doing so let's drop it, it's a non-issue. Why would he call up Morrison who hasn't been involved since the Cyprus debacle only for the new man not to fancy him. He is just keeping things ticking over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    it's a non-issue. Why would he call up Morrison who hasn't been involved since the Cyprus debacle only for the new man not to fancy him. He is just keeping things ticking over.

You're taking a big leap there.... Who's really to say whether a new manager would not be interested in an eligible player, especially one who knows the set-up, is popular with younger and older squad members alike, has played well with the only other genuine first choice striker in the squad, and is currently in form and scoring freely?
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    He's also the closest thing to a "Viduka" (someone who can hold the ball up and give people time to get involved) we have.
    VIDUKA !

The man's a fcuking disgrace.

Ditto Harry Kewell.

They should have stayed on their surfboards.

Imposters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    It was said above that Clinton is better than some Premiership forwards. Viduka is one. Lovely feet, good with his back to goal and a good finisher but not an athlete, constantly overweight and a total self-obsessed gobshyte to go with it. Some footballers deserve their fortunes, Viduka's wealth galls me.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is my first post on here but as a Crystal Palace fan I felt I had to comment on this article. I really can't understand for the life of me how Clint has been overlooked for this one. 11 goals in 13 games should be enoughn to get him into the squad but his recent run hasn't just been about goals. He has been putting 110% in week-in-week-out and has been seen a few times in the right back role tackling and winning the ball back for the team. If a team mate tries something that doesn't come off Clint will go over to them and applaud them for trying something that could have led to something good. If a youngster gives away possession he will walk over to them and try to help them keep their head up. He's also great to have around the dressing room. Givens said that Murphy and Long were better for the long term but I thought the immediate objective was to qualify for the World Cup. Plus he still manages to pick 33 year-old Lee Carsley ahead of 20 year-old Owen Garvan. How two players with 3 goals between them this season warrant a place ahead of him in the squad I can't understand on his current form if I was Ireland manager I would have no problems at all with playing him ahead of Kevin Doyle. If anyone deserves to be in the squad it's Clint and he deserves to be treated better by Don Givens. He is the King of Selhurst and rightly so and he deserves to make 50 caps.

It's absolutely criminal that Clint isn't in the squad.
    Last edited by eagleforlife; 27/01/2008 at 6:11 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    i would prefer to have one clinton morrison than twenty stephen irelands in the ireland squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    i would prefer to have one clinton morrison than twenty stephen irelands in the ireland squad
    Spot on. Ireland has many qualities but he also has a knack for disapearing in games and not standing up and being counted when it matters. This is something that you wouldnt expect of Morrison, his attitude has always been spot on and you can tell he loves putting on the green jersey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    IMO clinton deserves to be ahead of murphy and long, its absolutely ridiculous really. Long doesnt start too often doesnt score, yet is at a higher ranked club, morrisn is playing week in week out and banging in goals for fun, warnock MIGHT have finally sorted clintons little attitude out and have him turn his cockiness off field into confidence on the field. Disgrace, Givens is a muppet through and through.
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    brilliant so hear all the support for clinto , bottom line is he should be our third choice striker , ready to start when either doyle or keane are not fit, the new manager will not leave him out i'm sure.
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellavistaman View Post
    IMO , warnock MIGHT have finally sorted clintons little attitude out and have him turn his cockiness off field into confidence on the field. .

Isn't he out of contract at the end of this season ? Could explain the change in attitude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjppc View Post
    Isn't he out of contract at the end of this season ? Could explain the change in attitude.
    Before Warnock took over in October, he wasn't scoring anywhere near as regularly as he is now. He's definitely had some influence on Clinton's improvement.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    would not have been a popular choice .. but Warnock might not have been a bad Ireland manager. Seems to being doing well at Palace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macdermesser View Post
    would not have been a popular choice .. but Warnock might not have been a bad Ireland manager. Seems to being doing well at Palace.
    No, he promotes a direct in your face style which I don't feel would suit our current crop of players.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    ...or Owls Fan

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    if clinton morrison was a nice white boy and born in ireland and scoring this amount of goals he would definitely be in the squad
    Sean fhear thats a shocking comment with no substance..Alan Lee is proof of thatand last year connolly was
    Bring back the plank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well I did see Don Givens with a white hood over his head but it was an official FAI tracksuit.
    In Trap we trust

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast