Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RTE Sports Personality of the Year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I did indeed but if you read my first post, I primarily focus on the fact that it is a totally biased voting page with Harrington plastered all over it. He does deserve the sportsperson of the year award but it's a joke the way the voting page is set up. Hence my protest vote for Stan.

He's also a dry, humourless bore which reminds me of someone else. Hmmmm, I wonder who that could be.

If you run out of points you should start with the personal insults, Oh wait you have already done that,
    In Trap we trust

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    If you run out of points you should start with the personal insults, Oh wait you have already done that,
    Whom did I insult, other than Harrington or do you have someone in mind?

KingdomHoops, true Harrington has a smile on his face but he never has anything interesting to say:

"Ehhhhh, my game. .....me...ehhhhh....I.....ehhhh....me....ehhhh.... me, myself and I....
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    KingdomHoops, true Harrington has a smile on his face but he never has anything interesting to say:
    He has as much to say as moist sports people. Always found him to be quite good in interviews. Particularlry if he lost. Seemed to analyse everything pretty quick. Its probably just the game he plays. I can't think of a modern golfer who I'd rank ahead of him in terms of personality
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    And when he's interviewed after a round, he's always open, engaging and, frankly, personable.
    In other words BORING! The public doesn't want its sports stars to be like Harrington, he'd have a lot more respect if he was a manic depressive alcoholic with a violent streak. These are they type of things that separate the likes of Harrington (an ACCOUNTANT for flip's sake) from the true LEDGINDS.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    He has as much to say as moist sports people.
    Fair point - swimmers are usually boring as well.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Mind you, I didn't find Michelle Smith boring.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

"Ehhhhh, my game. .....me...ehhhhh....I.....ehhhh....me....ehhhh.... me, myself and I....
    Jesus. What do you want? 'Well Pádraig, a good start to the round but you faltered towards the end.' 'Yeah true, Glen Whelan should be shot for that sloppy pass that led to the goal, and what was Laws thinking with the Christmas tree formation, Laws out I say, still, I think we'll make the play-offs.'

If you don't find his interviews interesting it's probably because you've no interest in what he's being asked. Anyway, leave aside any interviews, he could be the most boring person in the world at interviews, but the way he interacts with the crowds and is the most smiley player on tour show that whatever perceived tedium exists doesn't prove that he has no personality, which was your , frightfully disparaging , claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint View Post
    In other words BORING! The public doesn't want its sports stars to be like Harrington, he'd have a lot more respect if he was a manic depressive alcoholic with a violent streak. These are they type of things that separate the likes of Harrington (an ACCOUNTANT for flip's sake) from the true LEDGINDS.
    A big Big John Daly fan then yeah? He definitely is a ledgind, but to combine his lifestyle and a successful career like he had is a statistical wonder. I like what you're getting at, we could do with more spunky characters out there. But the last people I'd look at to lead a charge of feckless lifestyles to entertain the masses would be golfers. That's what musicians are for!

The most important thing for a golfer is to be steady upstairs, if any part of your life slip then your game will definitely slip in turn. While as you know footballers can be mentally ill, alcoholics, gambling addicts, and still play a great 90 minutes on a Saturday. Just the nature of the sports, a golfer will never come close to playing consistently, and Daly is a pointed example, if they live the playboy lifestyle that would earn them the ledginds tag. Granted, Harrington doesn't have the natural charm of say Tiger Woods, or you or I , but, for me, he commands more respect than John Daly does because he's giving himself the best shot at fulfilling his Buddha-given potential. That satisfies me more than knowing that Daly can drink 12 cans and still shoot a 68, but a he'll have a 78 the next time he does it.

It's frustrating when you see boring sports people but I think we should leave the hedonism to ourselves and let them get on with what they do best. Especially golfers. There is a yawning space there for the ledginds of the world to brighten the sporting pantheons, but the reason, pretty simply, that you don't see enough of them is because they aren't as dedicated as the so-called bores. If you want to lump Harrington in there and deride him for it then fair enough, but I disagree.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    What are the criteria for winning the award?

Is personality actually part of it, or is "personality" just a nicer way to say "achiever"?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    It's actually called 'Sportsperson' osarusan. As for criteria, depends on who you talk to. Owlsfan has gone for the righteous indignation approach that because Harrington's picture was on the voting page the whole thing is a set-up, or maybe it's because he thinks Harrington is too boring that such a thought gained credence in his head.

It's a public vote though so aside from the obvious reasons above you'll get all kinds of whimsical frivolities coming into play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    As for criteria, depends on who you talk to. Owlsfan has gone for the righteous indignation approach that because Harrington's picture was on the voting page the whole thing is a set-up,
    It's like having an election to the Dail with any number of candidates but with only one candidate mentioned on the ballot paper, with a picture and interview of that candidate on the same sheet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah will somebody please put in an FOI request or get a PQ in the Dail on this issue. Surely there should be an audit trail of all the votes. I think we may need EU inspectors in to carry out this very important vote.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    It's like having an election to the Dail with any number of candidates but with only one candidate mentioned on the ballot paper, with a picture and interview of that candidate on the same sheet.
    Or a selection panel to determine the new Irish manager, as long as it's Terry Venables.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Jesus Neil tóg go bog é! He does have a half a point. I think it's more that there are no other obvious candidates that the problem is with really, as against bias from RTE. Ideally the page would've been a lot more detailed with more high points, it just looks like a review of the year. What's the point in mentioning the bad things that happened? It's just poorly done full stop really I think.

Actually Owlsfan, if you look at the site again, you can click on more pictures under where Harrington is. So they did make some half effort, just that they gave Harrington centre stage.

Do you think anybody comes close to challenging, leaving aside the conspiracy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Do you think anybody comes close to challenging, leaving aside the conspiracy?

No, I don't think so but that's not the point though. Why don't RTE just nominate the Sports Person rather than having a page that is saying VOTE FOR HARRINGTON! HERE'S A PICTURE and if that's not enough HERE'S AN INTERVIEW with Harrington.

It's really like what Stutts is saying. Let's have a democratic committee to nominate Venables

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Well up on the merits of female boxers are you? Maybe she's just that good...
    Thats just stupid.I'm not well up on female boxing but i know there are more male golfers in the world than there are female golfers and i know that to win a tournament harrington has to beat 155 competitors while taylor competes against much less boxers. Also tiger woods is probably the best sports person in the world and harrington had to beat him to win the open. So i don't have to be well up in female boxing to know that padraig harrington faces tougher competiton than katie taylor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    He has as much to say as moist sports people. Always found him to be quite good in interviews. Particularlry if he lost. Seemed to analyse everything pretty quick. Its probably just the game he plays. I can't think of a modern golfer who I'd rank ahead of him in terms of personality
    You obviously don't follow golf. Boo weekley and kenny ferrie are two just off the top of my head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers fan View Post
    Thats just stupid.I'm not well up on female boxing but i know there are more male golfers in the world than there are female golfers and i know that to win a tournament harrington has to beat 155 competitors while taylor competes against much less boxers. Also tiger woods is probably the best sports person in the world and harrington had to beat him to win the open. So i don't have to be well up in female boxing to know that padraig harrington faces tougher competiton than katie taylor
    But Taylor's unbeaten. If Harrington had've won even 5 tournaments this year it wouldn't have been a contest. And I'm not even saying that he doesn't deserve it. I'm just saying you're an idiot for dismissing the only Irish sportsperson who dominates her sport
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Cant believe anyone is bashing Padraig Harrington, he is a legend and has a great personality. Sure he doesnt drink himself stupid and crack jokes all the time but he is a gentleman, has time for the fans, always plays fair, and is a great ambassador for our country.
    A lot of these people who have "personalitys" are a right pain..........Ian Wright comes to mind for some reason, and anybody on BBc question of sport.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    But Taylor's unbeaten. If Harrington had've won even 5 tournaments this year it wouldn't have been a contest. And I'm not even saying that he doesn't deserve it. I'm just saying you're an idiot for dismissing the only Irish sportsperson who dominates her sport
    Where did i dismiss her? I just said harrington faces stiffer competiton week in week out and you can't deny that. Yes katie taylor is unbeaten, fair play to her and i think she has had an unbelievable year but she has competed in way less tournaments and against way fewer opponents. How many boxers remain unbeaten for a year? Lots. How many golfers remain unbeaten for a year? None. Its not comparing like with like.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers fan View Post
    I just said harrington faces stiffer competiton week in week out and you can't deny that.
    No need to drag this down to a male vs female debate !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast