Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Media

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Unhappy The Media

Does anybody else think that the media has hijacked the selection process of our manager?

This probably suits the FAI given the amount of negative publicity they have had recently.

Anybody who has followed international football in the last 12 years will know how good a candidate Roy Hodgeson is. His pedigree is incomparable to anybody we have had in the running since I can remember.

I cannot believe how much most of the media are pushing Tel, only giving mention to Souness and Houllier (as also rans) and ignoring Hodgeson.

Hyland (of the Herald pox), the (S)Indo, the red-tops, Irish Times, RTE are all at it.

It is obvious to me that these journalists do not know what they're talking about. They might be "in the know", but by deliberately ignoring the best candidate they are displaying their true ignorance of the international game. They have hardly even heard of him probably. Instead they are pushing the media man, the familiar face, the one they can write easiest about, the geezer they know from euro 96 and who's done damn all since then (but looks good on UTV). How can they tell us this candidate has the interests of our international team at heart? Doesn't matter, there'll be no 5 second press conferences from him, there'll be plenty of soundbites.

I hope against hope that more is going on behind the scenes with other candidates than is being reported.

I am starting to dispair.
    Gimme dat

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The media in this country are with a few notable exceptions, obsessed with English and to a degree Scottish football. It colours everything they write about. It colours the lack of coverage of the Eircom League and more to the point , it colours their assessment of who they deem '' suitable '' candidates for the Irish managerial position.
    Look at the only non-English and non-Irish candidates being talked about. Houllier being a prime example.He's only on the radar because he managed Liverpool.

I happen to think the lack of ambition being shown by the media as to the calibre of candidate is a throw back to the age old inferiority complex developed here under British Rule.'' Ah sure we are a poor small country sure nobody would want to manage our team''.

Why haven't they asked Jose Mourinho? Why haven't they asked Fabio Capello? Why haven't they asked Marcello Lippi? What's wrong with Champions League and World Cup winning coaches? If you don't ask the question you will never know the answer.

There would be personal target potentially achievable in the Irish job for each of the candidates involved. Here's a few examples:- Marcello Lippi has for instance never won the European Nations Championship. It would be a tremendous achievement to a) get the Republic into the Finals for only the second time in our history and b) go a long way in the tournament itself. And the next Euros are in 2012.

Fabio Capello would love to try and outsmart his own national team. I am sure he would like to one day land the Italy job. If he as Irish coach took say 4 points out of 6 against Italy in the World Cup Qualifiers that would send a signal to the FIGC( Italian FA).

Jose Mourinho for instance could prove just how special he is by taking a disorganised rabble who cannot retain possession of a football to save their lives and turn them into qualifiers for the next World Cup. He could walk into any club job in 2010 and name his price. We now have the resources for fcuk sake use them!
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 28/11/2007 at 7:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Can you imagine the way Capello or Lippi would deal with the media?? They come from the world of training behind closed doors. None of our hacks would put up with that. Can you imagine them coaching us, when we have Italy in the same WC group?? Plus, neither of them can speak English, and none of our lads can speak Italian.

Can you imagine Mourinho squareing up to Delaney, ffs? No, neither can I.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Because of the way the last few appointments ended you can be damn suer the FAI will looking for some sort of media validation in the next appointment. El Tel would be good from the media's point of view as he can talk their game.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I totally agree that the FAI lack ambition. As Dunphy was saying last night Birmingham City, who will probably be relegated from the Premiership this season went and asked Marcello Lippi, a World Cup winner!

Surely we are a more attractive option than Birmingham?? Whats the worst Lippi, Cappello or Mourinho could say? No?

At least that would get people believing that they are actually seeking the best manager out there not just looking to see who is on the scrap heap?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theskinloyal View Post
    I totally agree that the FAI lack ambition. As Dunphy was saying last night Birmingham City, who will probably be relegated from the Premiership this season went and asked Marcello Lippi, a World Cup winner!

Surely we are a more attractive option than Birmingham?? Whats the worst Lippi, Cappello or Mourinho could say? No?

At least that would get people believing that they are actually seeking the best manager out there not just looking to see who is on the scrap heap?
    Does anyone know for definite that they haven't inquired about the above managers??

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I was back in Ireland Monday & Tuesday. I continued be be aghast at the coverage, Irish Times devoting little coverage to it and unqurstining in its coverage of Venables. Content was 5% Irish / 95% English football. Similar in other papers though I did notice some dissent towards Venables.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    And now that David Dein has suggested Houllier for England, that's probably going to remove him from media discussion for the Ireland job too - not a mention of Ireland on the rte.ie report on Houllier.

Not seen much about Arie Haan on Irish media either (not the websites at least). This all feels like Delaney doing some Blair-style spin to the journos on the side. We know the answer he wants but he needs to look like he's done a 'consultation'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie View Post
    The media in this country are with a few notable exceptions, obsessed with English and to a degree Scottish football. It colours everything they write about. It colours the lack of coverage of the Eircom League and more to the point , it colours their assessment of who they deem '' suitable '' candidates for the Irish managerial position.
    Look at the only non-English and non-Irish candidates being talked about. Houllier being a prime example.He's only on the radar because he managed Liverpool.

I happen to think the lack of ambition being shown by the media as to the calibre of candidate is a throw back to the age old inferiority complex developed here under British Rule.'' Ah sure we are a poor small country sure nobody would want to manage our team''.

Why haven't they asked Jose Mourinho? Why haven't they asked Fabio Capello? Why haven't they asked Marcello Lippi? What's wrong with Champions League and World Cup winning coaches? If you don't ask the question you will never know the answer.

There would be personal target potentially achievable in the Irish job for each of the candidates involved. Here's a few examples:- Marcello Lippi has for instance never won the European Nations Championship. It would be a tremendous achievement to a) get the Republic into the Finals for only the second time in our history and b) go a long way in the tournament itself. And the next Euros are in 2012.

Fabio Capello would love to try and outsmart his own national team. I am sure he would like to one day land the Italy job. If he as Irish coach took say 4 points out of 6 against Italy in the World Cup Qualifiers that would send a signal to the FIGC( Italian FA).

Jose Mourinho for instance could prove just how special he is by taking a disorganised rabble who cannot retain possession of a football to save their lives and turn them into qualifiers for the next World Cup. He could walk into any club job in 2010 and name his price. We now have the resources for fcuk sake use them!
    I totally agree.

Look at the managers at the last World Cup ;

5 Brasilians
    4 Dutchmen
    4 "Yugoslavs"
    3 Frenchmen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ooops! eh?
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    The media in Dublin do what they're told by 'sources' because none of them have any contacts themselves in the professional game, so they get spun a yarn from some official and they swallow it.
    horrible front page on the s*n today, pretty much saying "fao fai: everyone wants venables" [shuddddddder]
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Jesus that is scary! Can they not gauge public opinion!? It has to make you wonder what agenda they have alright as that is surely bullsh!t. Not one person I've spoken to over here in Scotland or back home wants Venables anywhere near the team!!
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Eamon Carr has another critical piece over 2 pages in the herald this evening, Hyland only has a small panel about it. He doesn't seem happy with the process.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    Jesus that is scary! Can they not gauge public opinion!?
    They have no intention of gauging public opinion, they're trying to determine it. That's just as scary!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    The media in Dublin do what they're told by 'sources' because none of them have any contacts themselves in the professional game, so they get spun a yarn from some official and they swallow it.
    Do you have any other frame of reference other than English football?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    They have no intention of gauging public opinion, they're trying to determine it. That's just as scary!
    I know, that's what I was trying to get at really.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Exactly, well said.
    Gimme dat

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie View Post

Agreed.

Also, the personal rewards for being successful with Ireland would be huge, especially for a foreigner (including an Englishman). I believe much more so than in most other European countries.

We tend to take foreigners to our hearts as a nation, when they are doing well on our behalf. There are loads of examples throughout all walks of life.
    Gimme dat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A bit like David Gray in that regard.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Can you imagine the way Capello or Lippi would deal with the media?? They come from the world of training behind closed doors. None of our hacks would put up with that. Can you imagine them coaching us, when we have Italy in the same WC group?? Plus, neither of them can speak English, and none of our lads can speak Italian.
    Robbie Keane worked under Lippi, how did that work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast