0 Posts
    Jesus I Hope not, cant tolerate the prat, and not just because of Saipan,
    He'd be just the Yes man the FAI are Looking for

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kriscommons View Post
    I see Mick McCarthy has been cut to 5-2 with Ladbrokes and 7-1 with Paddy Power. Also, there has been a move for him on the exchanges. Daniel McDonnell's piece in the Indo today suggests that he is hot on the heels of Houllier for the job. If the Magic Sign go 5-2 they miust know something!
    I will not make a comment on this!
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    A yes man? if he was a yes man, Saipan would never have happened as he would have done things Roys way! Mick is probably the best qualified of all names bandied about due to his experience in the job and reasonable level of success BUT his appointment would cause more problems than it would solve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    100% agree.

People tend to forget how many campaigns it took him to get us to a major championship. Christ Stan only got one shot at it.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    100% agree.

People tend to forget how many campaigns it took him to get us to a major championship. Christ Stan only got one shot at it.
    Mick McCarthy
    1998 Lost to Belguim play offs
    2000 Lost to Turkey play offs
    2002 last 16 world cup finals

Steve Staunton
    2008 Our worst finish in how many years? Mathematically out of it with 3 games left

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    It still took him 3 attempts and then managed to fall out with the man who got us to the world cup in the first place. I hope he stays at Wolves and does well with them but I don't want him anywhere near the national side again.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    It still took him 3 attempts and then managed to fall out with the man who got us to the world cup in the first place. I hope he stays at Wolves and does well with them but I don't want him anywhere near the national side again.
    Who, Jason McAteer???

****s sake, you do realise we've only ever topped one group 20 years ago and relied on a Scot to do that for us?

3 2nd place finishes is more then acceptable, especially considering the rebuild required after Jack and the last 2 groups we were drawn in for 2000 and 2002 . We've been 3rd, 4th and 3rd since he left, we'd all be happy to have McCarthy's results these days.

Who do you want, you don't seem to like the look of anyone realistic....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm not advocating his return, but in fairness ive yet to see a serious contender indicate an interest in the job, and while I like everyone else want to qualify for wc and ec finals the facts speak for themselves that he was our most successful manager ever after big Jack. The man he fell out with is finding it tough being a manager now too!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    If I was part of the 3-amigos and the choices are McCarthy, Hoddle or Brady then it has to be McCarthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes man??

Just remembering meeting Mick after the FAI cup final in Lansdowne Rd in May 1996, he had just had his first run in with the FAI since his appointment. He wanted Evans as his assistant the FAI wanted to appoint his assistant for him and his back room staff. A senior FAI suit said to Mick "I supose you think we are like the 57 old farts" referring to the English Rugby Union and comments made by I think Will Carling (i stand to be corrected) Mick assured me he bit his tounge and didnt agree out loud! Mick may be many thinks but not a yes man!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Say whatever you like about Mick, but making the playoffs with the squad we have is NOT a failure.

During his reign we were always competitive, well organized, and motivated.

Yes we had Roy Keane, but he proved in 2002 that he could keep us competitive even without our star player.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I tried to tell yiz weeks ago... I'm on a gravy train with biscuit wheels 33-1 people.... (The oul lad got him at 50-1)
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Who, Jason McAteer???

****s sake, you do realise we've only ever topped one group 20 years ago and relied on a Scot to do that for us?

3 2nd place finishes is more then acceptable, especially considering the rebuild required after Jack and the last 2 groups we were drawn in for 2000 and 2002 . We've been 3rd, 4th and 3rd since he left, we'd all be happy to have McCarthy's results these days.

Who'd I like ahead of McCarthy? Houllier, Jol, Deschamps. Hell I'd probably take Venables over Mick.
    Last edited by shakermaker1982; 10/01/2008 at 7:56 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    But Stan pointed the gun in his mouth & managed to shoot himself in the arse.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Who, Jason McAteer???

Please have the strength not to rise to the bait.
    Keanites get more annoyed when you dont bother trying to argue, thereby denying them the pleasure of another rant about 'the greatest player to ever play for Ireland' (and the irrelevancy that is the ManU - Juve CL semi-final which is usually thrown in for good measure).

God they're are annoying.
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Please have the strength not to rise to the bait.
    Keanites get more annoyed when you dont bother trying to argue, thereby denying them the pleasure of another rant about 'the greatest player to ever play for Ireland' (and the irrelevancy that is the ManU - Juve CL semi-final which is usually thrown in for good measure).

God they're are annoying.

This isn't a Keane/McCarthy debate. Jesus that is nearly 6 years ago and the two culprits have even kissed and made up. What the hell has Keane's ability as a player (which cannot be questioned surely?) have to do with the debate? We are talking about McCarthy's management abilities - nothing else.

The fact of the matter is that Mick McCarthy had his chance (3 and a bit campaigns) and is now at Wolves. The only reason he's being mentioned as a potential candidate on here is because Wolves are rumoured to be on the verge of sacking him. Why? because he isn't doing a good enough job. So why would we want him to take the reigns? To reminisce about the good old days?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Who'd I like ahead of McCarthy? Houllier, Jol, Deschamps. Hell I'd probably take Venables over Mick.

Then sir, you are an idiot. Championship clubs won't even consider a has been like Venables at this stage.

I'd take Dechamps or Jol over McCarthy in a heartbeat but are they really realistic candidates? Houllier doesn't seem to want the job...

As for McCarthy's job at Wolves, he performed a miracle getting them to the play offs last season which has cretaed unrealistic expectations, he's done a far better job there then Hoddle managed.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    This isn't a Keane/McCarthy debate.
    It was you who brought Saipan into it!!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    ****s sake, you do realise we've only ever topped one group 20 years ago and relied on a Scot to do that for us?...

We topped our group because we got more points than anyone else. Unless other teams drop points you can't top a group. We got more points than the Bulgarians. End of story.

There was never a chance in hell of Mick coming back to the job as I said earlier. He left with yobs chasing the team bus spitting at him. As someone once said "They haven't gone away you know".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    We topped our group because we got more points than anyone else. Unless other teams drop points you can't top a group. We got more points than the Bulgarians. End of story.

There was never a chance in hell of Mick coming back to the job as I said earlier. He left with yobs chasing the team bus spitting at him. As someone once said "They haven't gone away you know".

what you said is true. If Sctoland had played them in there first game with the same outcome then we would never have brought that Scotland got us there. ROI got there on merit cause they won there group they got no favours of nobody

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast