Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Football at Croke Park

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Football at Croke Park

Ignoring the lack of atmosphere (lets put that down to general depression about team performances) I must say Croke Park is unbeliveably bad for watching a football match.

I had tickets for the Lower Devitt/Canal & view from near the rear is hopeless. GAA pitch too large for football. Not been to Croke Park for rugby so can't comment on that. It is so bad I look bad fondly on Lansdowne
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    dont agree, think its grand, apart from the fact most of the crowd refuse to get behind the team...too many 'neutralS' in such a big stadium makes for a bad atmosphere!! we need a fans section to generate atmosphere!!
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Dont mind Croker, and the location around the ground is better than Lansdowne. I've never been one of those people to complain about views and general comfort at a game though. As long as I can make out whats going on I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    we need a fans section to generate atmosphere!!
    Okay what are you going to do about it?Not meaning to sound blunt, but people here are always throwing out banal statements such as this as regards atmosphere, maybe you should make a worthwhile suggestion into what can be done and how we should go about it.

We are the fans, if we don't organise something no-one will (unless youre a fan interventions such as the [uh]Carlsberg band).We have nearly a year until competitive internationals,surely we can come up with an arrangement that can be made with the FAI between now and then.
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Ignoring the lack of atmosphere (lets put that down to general depression about team performances) I must say Croke Park is unbeliveably bad for watching a football match.
    i'd say it could have something to do with the fact that it is a GAA stadium!!!!!!!!!!!

messing aside it is always the same with any municiple/olympic stadiums ... purpose built football stadia are the way to go.

take the WC02; ibaraki (ireland v germany) was a classic venue, you felt as if you were ON the pitch. compared to yokohama where you wished (nearly) you were watching on TV you were so far away.

from the plas of the new lansdowne it looks as if we will be back close to pitchside, a welcome return. it also helps to create the cauldron of noise on the big occasion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Definitely too far from the pitch. Atmosphere has been poor but so have the performances. I was at the 2 rugby games there too and the atmosphere was better. I still think Lansdowne road was better still eg England 2001 much better than 2007 IMO but then others disagree.

Lansdowne was rocking for games like Spain 89 and Holland 2001 however it was dead for much of the 90's with too many corporate BBers.

My GAA friends tell me the atmosphere is fantastic for big GAA games at CP however since my only 2 were in 1973 and 1974 I'm not in a position to comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post
    take the WC02; ibaraki (ireland v germany) was a classic venue, you felt as if you were ON the pitch.
    Agree with you there galwayhoop, that stadium was probably the best I've been in for proximity to the pitch. You could almost touch the players. Never forget booing Klose for diving right infront of us only for him to score two minutes later. What a game!
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    As an aside, Liverpool are keen to ensure that the new 'Anfield' is not only bigger but that all the fans are close to the pitch. Atmosphere is very important and theyve moved away from modern 'bowl' stadium to the old fashioned rectangular/four sided effect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post

My GAA friends tell me the atmosphere is fantastic for big GAA games at CP however since my only 2 were in 1973 and 1974 I'm not in a position to comment.
    have been there on many's a big day and rarely a bad day and more often than not the atmosphere is excellent. The kerry/Monaghan Limerick/Waterford double header this year was superb.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was in the very top row in the Hogan and whilst I had a great view the atmosphere for all of the games bar slovakia was dreadful. Even Slovakia wasn't that great. IMO it's not the stadium that's at fault, it's the crowd. I can't remember seeing seeing anyone who was at any 2 of the 4 games - it was always a totally different crowd. The lower canal end seemed to be the only place to be in terms of atmosphere. Hopefully if the results are better in the next campaign we'll have a better support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I remember been in Ibaraki and have to agree i was behind the goal robbie keane scored into it was a great stadium to watch football in. I have watched many games from Hill16 in croker and theres always a great athmosphere. We are so unorganised as supporters remember the swiss with their flags in basle or the way the germans called out their team names with the PA guy. I remember been in bursa a few years ago and the stadium was full 3 hours before the start while we were having a meal nearby. another amazing experience. Half the problem is that irish fans only turn up 5 minutes before the start for home games. You cant blame the stadium i blame the fans for not been organised enough
    Last edited by SuperDub; 26/11/2007 at 8:52 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDub View Post
    I remember been in bursa a few years ago and the stadium was full 3 hours before the start while we were having a meal nearby. another amazing experience. Half the problem is that irish fans only turn up 5 minutes before the start for home games.
    That's one of the problems with all-seater stadia. With terraces, you have to be early into the ground to get the best spot. With all seater, you can stroll in whenever and your seat is guaranteed. "Comfort", it's called. Don't know what that has to do with football, but anyways...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Look for as long as I can remember I was told that we would never see the day that soccer was played in Croker Park and we all got our day in the sun againist Wales , so been there done that now all I want to do is get back to Lansdowne and as every day passes it gets nearer .

I still find it hard to get my head around the fact that I feel that I am trespassing and long for the day to be back home ......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Dont mind Croker, and the location around the ground is better than Lansdowne. I've never been one of those people to complain about views and general comfort at a game though. As long as I can make out whats going on I'm happy.

Okay what are you going to do about it?Not meaning to sound blunt, but people here are always throwing out banal statements such as this as regards atmosphere, maybe you should make a worthwhile suggestion into what can be done and how we should go about it.

We are the fans, if we don't organise something no-one will (unless youre a fan interventions such as the [uh]Carlsberg band).We have nearly a year until competitive internationals,surely we can come up with an arrangement that can be made with the FAI between now and then.
    YBIG.ie are organising a 12th man campaign, which will see a solid proposal being submitted to the FAI....
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    As long as you're high enough up the view in Croker is top class.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post

take the WC02; ibaraki (ireland v germany) was a classic venue, you felt as if you were ON the pitch. compared to yokohama where you wished (nearly) you were watching on TV you were so far away.
    ibaraki was a class stadium for a soccer match alright and where we were sitting in yokahama stadium at back of lower tier, they did actually have tv units hanging down for fans
    Have been at croker several times for gaa matches and the atmosphere is usually ok but we(donegal) played the dubs in a QF couple years back and the noise coming from the hill was unbelievable that day..wish we could get that noise going for ireland games as that would fairly shake the opposition..

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    YBIG.ie are organising a 12th man campaign, which will see a solid proposal being submitted to the FAI....
    Which they'll "forget about", just like last time.

Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Best of luck with it. Let us know what happens.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Great to hear,I'll have to check it out. Hope my previous post didn't read as a dig at you.
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post

I had tickets for the Lower Devitt/Canal & view from near the rear is hopeless. GAA pitch too large for football. Not been to Croke Park for rugby so can't comment on that. It is so bad I look bad fondly on Lansdowne
    I've watched five different sports on numerous occasions (pre and post development) from all locations in Croke Park and all viewpoints have been equally bad (post development). Centre of Hogan or Cusask was alright on the lower tier but thats about it. For half an athmosphere it needs to be full to the rafters and everyone in full voice.

From an engineering capacity it is fantastic and one we should be proud of.

Lansdowne for me!
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Miss the old lady......

Bottom line, Croker is an American football stadium in the middle of Beirut, aka northside Dublin.I have been there pre and post development,in its previous guise as an unashamed ****-hole, the place fairly rattled when full.Now it looks and feels like a project that ran out of cash.The hill 16 end is just plain ugly.As a football venue , it just doesn't work.So good to see Lansdowne bang on schedule.50,000 fans in a compact arena, covered on four sides..........just one more campaign in Croker.....thank God!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Croke Park never was and never will be a football stadium!

I really cant wait to see ireland get out of it!!
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast