Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Nations Tournament in the summer?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

5 Nations Tournament in the summer?

I've heard this mentioned a few times. Could it be on? Revenue for England etc? Would be a huge money spinner..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    May as well do it to give us something to keep us occupied. Hard to believe there'll be no home nations at the finals, first time since the 70s if I recall.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    May as well do it to give us something to keep us occupied. Hard to believe there'll be no home nations at the finals, first time since the 70s if I recall.
    I think it happened in USA 1994 as well.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    nobody good enough..felt sorry for the scots..they were the only ones that deserved it...I've heard that england arent too keen on the 5 nations thing. Cant really see why though...would be good..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet View Post
    spot on mullet i missed the ''home'' line....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet View Post
    I count the ROI as a home nation. If that offends you, I.......don't really care.

No, seriously, no offence intended.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Someone was going to mention it but [back on topic] I think the tournament is a great idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Here's an idea - how about making it an 8-team tournament, and invite Australia, Nigeria and Ghana along, and have 2 groups of 4, two semis and a final, like the pre-96 European Championships? Or a straight knock-out system? I'm not sure if the teams I've mentioned have other engagements, but if they're free, I think it would be a nice idea. They all regularly play friendlies in England anyway, so it's not unfeasible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    Here's an idea - how about making it an 8-team tournament, and invite Australia, Nigeria and Ghana along, and have 2 groups of 4, two semis and a final, like the pre-96 European Championships? Or a straight knock-out system? I'm not sure if the teams I've mentioned have other engagements, but if they're free, I think it would be a nice idea. They all regularly play friendlies in England anyway, so it's not unfeasible.
    That would be wicked, a genuine tournament which would have some merit as a footballing exercise. Plus, since it would mean nothing, we'd probably win it.

Never going to happen though, the clubs despise international football and would prefer if it didn't exist, so there is no way players would be released for the summer for a competition that isn't a Euros or World Cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanekerins View Post
    Never going to happen though, the clubs despise international football and would prefer if it didn't exist, so there is no way players would be released for the summer for a competition that isn't a Euros or World Cup.
    They wouldn't have a say.

In saying that an 8 team tournament is stoopid IMO
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I think a five nations tourney would be great. Everyone plays everyone once, it would give our new manager some time to get familiar with the players before the real games start next September. It may be tough to convince England to join in though, they can make more money playing other friendlies against teams on their way to the proper tourney and they have little to gain by playing against the likes of us and Wales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    They wouldn't have a say.

In saying that an 8 team tournament is stoopid IMO
    Surely they would have a say if it wasn't a FIFA sanctioned competition? Its not like they have to release players for charity matches or testimonials, why would this be any different? Just because it would be called a tournament wouldn't change the fact that it was meaningless and not a proper 'international competition'. (If I'm wrong on this, I apologise, I am assuming a bit).

I'd much prefer a tournie with 8 teams than 5, it would do us more good in terms of international experience to play the non-British teams IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanekerins View Post
    Surely they would have a say if it wasn't a FIFA sanctioned competition? Its not like they have to release players for charity matches or testimonials, why would this be any different? Just because it would be called a tournament wouldn't change the fact that it was meaningless and not a proper 'international competition'. (If I'm wrong on this, I apologise, I am assuming a bit).

I'd much prefer a tournie with 8 teams than 5, it would do us more good in terms of international experience to play the non-British teams IMO.
    Basically it would just be a string of FIFA sanctioned friendlies...meaning the players would have to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Ahhhh...I stand corrected.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There was a headline on SKY NEWS this morning that England's failure to qualify could cost their economy up to 1 Billion Quid. A 5- nations tournament if there was home games against say Scotland and the Republic Of Ireland would at least generate some money for England at least, which means the return of the Britain and Ireland Championship could happen now very easily. And as an occasional thing when none or most of the nations in these islands don't qualify for major tournaments ( which less face it from now on will be most of the time,) would not earn the wrath of the major clubs in the Premier League. So it will probably be biennial in some shape or form. And years that England qualify it will be the other four, or if Scotland make it and England don't etc.

As regards an 8 nation tournament. The following teams didn't qualify, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iceland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Belgium, that's just a sample I am sure three of that lot wouldn't mind being in the tournament as regards organsing it. The four so called home nations go into pool A and the Republic and the other three go into poll B. And there is a semi-final between the winners of Pool B the winners of the '' Home '' Championships and the respective runners-up of both pools.
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 22/11/2007 at 7:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    get a cup made , play Scotland NI and Wales for it , win it and stick it in the cabinet beside the Iceland trophy !!
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

reder
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    It may be tough to convince England to join in though, they can make more money playing other friendlies against teams on their way to the proper tourney and they have little to gain by playing against the likes of us and Wales.
    I beg to differ. England are going to lose a fortune on merchandising etc as a result of not qualifying. Games against the home nations are guaranteed sell outs which would help recoup some of the loses. The pay-off for McClaren and the costs of hiring Mourinho or bouncy O' Neill will also send the budget for the year into the red.

On the field, I think it would be an excellent opp for us. The new manager can guage exactly where we stand far better than he would in games against Brazil etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I don't think Ireland should enter a competition with the "home nations". I rather if we are going to enter some sort of tournament that it is against quality opposition with a different style of play to ourselves. It would be a good money spinner for the FAI but other than that I don't see what benefit it would give the development of the national squad.

Anyways where would we play our home games?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If England host a '' tournament'' we don't. They host everybody. The appeal for the FA in all this is, it proves they can host international tournaments and would not harm their bid to stage future World Cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    When it's considered that UEFA began organising European Championship qualification and finals, at least in part to satiate the frustrations of countries not doing well in/qualifying for the World Cup ...It could easily be construed as somewhat p1ssy-eyed that a localised clique of non-qualifiers decide to go off and organise their own mini-event.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast