Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aeroplane etiquette

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Aeroplane etiquette

Question - what is our view on the etiquette around reclining your seat on a plane ?

I can accept on long haul, especially night flights, that it is appropriate but this week, a few people from heathrow reclined without asking the people behind.

I have asked people to reverse the recline on short flights when I have been holding a baby (staggering that somebody would be that inconsiderate) and I have never, ever, seen anybody ask.

What do we think ?
    DB Cooper is alive !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Basic common courtesy.....check with the person behind before you recline.I agree when people do it without regard to what the person is doing behind, as you say changing your baby's clothing, or indeed you may still eating and using your tray, makes my blood boil
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligo Hornet View Post
    Basic common courtesy.....check with the person behind before you recline.I agree when people do it without regard to what the person is doing behind, as you say changing your baby's clothing, or indeed you may still eating and using your tray, makes my blood boil
    Agreed. I've asked any time I've wanted to do it.

Frankly though, if your blood boils every time some guy does something inconsiderate and rude, you won't live long!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Don't really have an issue but it would be nice of some people to put them up when you're getting your grub.

Had an issue one night coming back from the US where a very rude American lady persisted in putting the seat back on my 6ft 4 colleague I was travelling with, even though the chap explained he was in distress when she did so.
    A few nudges every now and then kept her awake but we eventually had to switch seats.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Am I right in thinking this is really just a long haul issue? Can the seats even be reclined on say ...a Ryanair 737?

...or do the low cost carriers use seats without that function so they can squeeze more passengers in?

I flew to Zante (Greece) once on a Thompson charter. Flight took four and a half hours which is bordering long-haul in my book. Never, ever again for a number of reasons ...but in this particular instance the seats were ludicrously crammed. As it happened I had crippling tendonitis in both legs and the flight was a nightmare. I couldn't bare anything touching my knees at the time and they were jammed tight against the back of the seat in front of me.

I blame myself more than Thompson ...you order sh1t you eat sh1t. I should never have agreed to go.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    I am quite tall and I always try and grab an aisle seat so I can stretch my legs. The guy in front of me on a relatively short flight reclined his seat and I spent the time kneeing the seat in the back and making him uncomfortable as it took all my knee space away. Very annoying for me and hopefully for him as well.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I seem to be alone here but it irritates me if I can't put my seat back because there is some lanky streak or fat git behind me complaining about lack of leg room, if you need more leg room pay for it, I want to lie back and try to get some kip!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    I seem to be alone here but it irritates me if I can't put my seat back because there is some lanky streak or fat git behind me complaining about lack of leg room, if you need more leg room pay for it, I want to lie back and try to get some kip!
    I wouldn't stand for that Owls and Lionel!
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    I hate ***** that recline their seats on short flights. Annoys me so much, I usually just start pushing their seat a bit. Also, recently on a flight from Knock to Stansted their was a child sitting behind me with his father beside him. Little fella kept kicking my seat. Why can't parents control their kids? Seriously, I know he's only a child but he was ****ing me off kicking my seat for the whole flight*

*Air rage, I know, and before you ask, no, my seat wasn't reclined so he had no reason to kick it
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligo Hornet View Post
    I wouldn't stand for that Owls and Lionel!
    I'm not even tall ...I'm about 5'10".

I'd actually argue it the other way and say if endabob wants to stretch himself out HE'S the one who should be opting to fly first class.

It's just a lack of consideration thing really.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Question - what is our view on the etiquette around reclining your seat on a plane ?

I can accept on long haul, especially night flights, that it is appropriate but this week, a few people from heathrow reclined without asking the people behind.

I have asked people to reverse the recline on short flights when I have been holding a baby (staggering that somebody would be that inconsiderate) and I have never, ever, seen anybody ask.

What do we think ?
    I always ask, and never have put it back on a short haul flight. I'm well over 6ft, and can't believe some of the gits I've come across whilst on an aircraft. The old knees pushing the seat up annoys the hell out of them.

A fat ignorant american did that to me and my wife on the way to Boston a few years ago whilst she was holding the baby. I asked him could he move the seat forward as I couldn't get out to go to the toilet, he refused. He only put his seat up after the steward intervened, and put it back when I got out. My wife and child then swapped seats with my bored 5 year old for the rest of the flight who promptly kicked the chair for the remaining 5 hours. He wasn't too happy, but I'm only glad I wasn't arrested as I felt the air rage when he refused to move his seat.

Speaking of Americans and their airplane etiquette, one of them had our flight delayed for 2 hours because he wouldn't knock his phone off as we were about to taxi. They ended up throwing him off the plane, another loud lard ass.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Don't recline the seat fully - halfway is maximum in economy. When the seat is reclined fully it is very difficult to get out of your seat especially if on the inside of 3 seats. With 100% reclined seat tv & table more or less unusable. In Business or First class can recline 100% as plenty of room.

Don't take your shoes off.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    I hate ***** that recline their seats on short flights. Annoys me so much, I usually just start pushing their seat a bit. Also, recently on a flight from Knock to Stansted their was a child sitting behind me with his father beside him. Little fella kept kicking my seat. Why can't parents control their kids? Seriously, I know he's only a child but he was ****ing me off kicking my seat for the whole flight*

*Air rage, I know, and before you ask, no, my seat wasn't reclined so he had no reason to kick it
    On a flight to Spain, I had a fella about 20/21 pushing his knees into my seat. I never recline my seat and when I sat back, he had his shoe on my arm rest, actually pushed through between the seats. I just kept nudging it until he took it away.
    That said, all he did was irritate and annoy the air hostess, when she asked him to do normal things like fasten his seatbelt and turn off his music before take off.

Hate to see people taking off their shoes though, I mean its just nasty
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    never have problems like that in 1st class
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Don't take your shoes off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    Hate to see people taking off their shoes though, I mean its just nasty
    Why? It's a very common thing in Asia, I've done in a few times, and it does feel good. Just put on clean socks before you get on the plane and nobody should be bothered.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I agree with osarusan, taking your shoes off on a plane is very relaxing, much more comfortable, and on long-haul flights I'd imagine it helps blood circulation so less chance of DVT.

Osarusan's advice to put on clean socks should be heeded. I remember I'd a flight back to Ireland a few months ago. It, unsurprisingly, was the day after my last night away so I had to do the smart thing and stay up all night partying, time flew by and before I knew it I had to race to the airport without even so much as a shower. As per usual I took off my runners once settled into my seat, but as quickly as I'd taken them off a pungent odour enveloped my area. Not pleasant at all. But thankfully I was wrecked tired so slept most of the way without being too self-conscious. In fairness though I was pretty considerate and put the runners back on and stretched my blanket down over my fetid feet, hopefully belatedly abiding by airplane etiquette.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Why? It's a very common thing in Asia, I've done in a few times, and it does feel good. Just put on clean socks before you get on the plane and nobody should be bothered.
    Ever experienced it where people obviously did not wash their feet nor change their socks...it is nasty
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Ever experienced it where people obviously did not wash their feet nor change their socks...it is nasty
    Have you ever met, or more likely smelled, kingdom hoop on a plane by any chance?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Yes!

What is the etiquette in such a situation though? Would it be ok to ask someone to put their shoes back on, or would you just grimace and bear it? Tough one. Depends on the length of the flight I suppose. Anything more than three hours and I think I'd nearly have to say something. Best thing would probably be to use a stewardess as a conduit so you don't get the back of their seat in your mouth afterwards.

edit; it would probably actually be the person behind you who was the offender so you could get some small revenge by reclining back as far as possible!
    Last edited by kingdom hoop; 17/11/2007 at 1:33 AM. Reason: New thought

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    im an offender here im afraid. Best thing to do is wait til everyone is sleeping (if its a night flight) and peel off your sweaty runners then. The relief is fantastic. The smell is woecious but ive mastered the art of the poker face.

Alternatively, can anyone tell me what footwear is best? I travel in my runners for comfort but man my feet fckin reek when im travelling. strangely my feet dont normally stink. I think its all the walking, running and waiting around airports that you have to do... I think a spare pair of socks before boarding is a must from now on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast