Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Fixture List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I would complatly avoid the big two for the first couple of games. It only ever worked once for us. Get points on the board and work from there. We have played catch up recently in groups. Lets get some points on the board against the wipping boys first i say

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Agree with nearly all of the posts so far. We should be aiming to get the bankable (!) games out early doors, for confidence, momentum, points on the board.
    To even think about qualifying we have to take maximum points from the countries ranked 4,5, and 6.
    Not sure how the wrangling goes over the fixture list but do the higher seeds not have more sway over who and when they play.
    One thing to remember about the fixtures for the next group. Its unlikely we'll have a home game in Aug 08, Sept 08, May 09, June 09, July 09, Aug 09 or Sept 09. Due to the Championship being on. So its likely we'll have a few home double headers squashed into next October, and the following October with a randomer in Feb 09 perhaps.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz
    I would complatly avoid the big two for the first couple of games. It only ever worked once for us.
    It worked for us in the last WC campaign, and we had 8 points from 4 games. We just screwed it all up by not taking advantage at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom
    Not sure how the wrangling goes over the fixture list but do the higher seeds not have more sway over who and when they play.
    One thing to remember about the fixtures for the next group.
    At the start of the negotiating, everyone gets to state if there's any dates they can't play. When we negotiated the last fixtures, we told the other countries reps, that we couldn't play the heavies at home early, due to Lansdowne renovations. Which only began this year. Israel said that they couldn't play on the last day, October 12th. Apart from that, everyone thrashes out the games between themselves, with a fair bit of give and take going on.

However, if the meeting breaks up without agreement, the list is handed over to FIFA to draw up, and they do it according to the seedings in the group. Therefore as third seeds, we would have to play the heavies away very late in the group, possibly even the last two games.
    Last edited by mypost; 23/11/2007 at 1:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Alright lads, all fixture predictions in here.

Italy,
    Bulgaria,
    Cyprus,
    Georgia
    Montenegro

The ideal list would be imo:

With no chance of a home game to start the group, let's try and get the far east (Cyprus/Georgia) away games out of the way in September next year. If we do that, it's going to be hard to see where we fit in the Italy away game, as we will probably have a home double header in March. Hopefully, visits to Montenegro and Bulgaria will be in the one trip, as they're close enough in September '09. Hoping for a home game with Bulgaria last, as in '87.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Alright lads, all fixture predictions in here.

Italy,
    Bulgaria,
    Cyprus,
    Georgia
    Montenegro

The ideal list would be imo:

With no chance of a home game to start the group, let's try and get the far east (Cyprus/Georgia) away games out of the way in September next year. If we do that, it's going to be hard to see where we fit in the Italy away game, as we will probably have a home double header in March. Hopefully, visits to Montenegro and Bulgaria will be in the one trip, as they're close enough in September '09. Hoping for a home game with Bulgaria last, as in '87.

I think with croke unavailable it would be best to have only the one game in september, my thinking either away to georgia or cyprus. I agree with the above that having montenegro and bulgaria in the same week away from home would make sense but i feel that is too much (see prague and slovakia this year). Play the smaller teams first and get points on the board, avoid our usual playing of the big teams first, they just dent confidence.

Its gonna be hard but if we cant beat the likes of bulgaria at least once we dont deserve to be at a world cup!

Lets go!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Italy, Bulgaria, and the knife-wielding Georgians will be 3 very, very hostile trips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I'd say (judging from the dates available for the last few yrs) the fixtures will go something like this:

Sept 08: Cyprus away
    Oct 08: Bulgaria Home , Georgia Home (double header)
    Nov 08: Cyprus Home, Italy Away

Mar 09: Montenegro Home
    June 09 Montenegro Away

Sept 09 Georgia Away, Bulgaria Away
    Oct 09 Italy Home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    need to avoid montenegro for their first ever competitive match. will make it twice as hard especially if away. the faroe islands beat austria 1 nil in their first ever competitive match and have hardly won since

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Montenegro in June away fabulous destination for a holiday. Getting a Hotel then will be difficult cause it is a tourist destination and Serbs go on their holidays there and there are almost 8 million of them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I'd say (judging from the dates available for the last few yrs) the fixtures will go something like this:

Sept 08: Cyprus away
    Oct 08: Bulgaria Home , Georgia Home (double header)
    Nov 08: Cyprus Home, Italy Away

Mar 09: Montenegro Home
    June 09 Montenegro Away

Sept 09 Georgia Away, Bulgaria Away
    Oct 09 Italy Home.
    I'd be surprised if we only played one game early in 2009 and 5 games late in 2008. I think they will be spread out more evenly. Not sure I'd want to be going into the last game against Italy wanting a point or a win. Your fixtures gives us a very hard finish.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    I'd be surprised if we only played one game early in 2009 and 5 games late in 2008. I think they will be spread out more evenly. Not sure I'd want to be going into the last game against Italy wanting a point or a win. Your fixtures gives us a very hard finish.
    I'm not saying thats the way I'd have the fixtures, I just think with the dates we'd traditionally have home games, Sept 08&09, and the start and end of the summer 09, we have no scope for home matches. Plus I'd imagine we'll have to factor in either one or two home matches in 2009 for the Celtic cup, which will reduce or options further.
    Given that we were pretty much out of contention after 3 games in the last campaign I can't see them going after either of the top seeds in the first game (which has to be away because of Croker).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Scotland arranged their fixtures. Whoever represented them at the meeting got a great list, with 3 of their last 4 at home. But they finish their campaign in September, which could count against them, as I'm assuming there will be WCQ's in October, and the other countries in their group, will know what they have to do to beat them to qualification.

Our meeting in Sofia is still a month away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    2 weeks to go to the meeting now, and it looks as though Don Givens will have to negotiate the games again for us, like he did for the '06 WC group.

Tbh, I find it hard to fit in where we can play a 5th away game, given that 4 of them in both Septembers are already allocated. I'm sure an extra trip in June won't go down well with anyone here, given player fatigue and heat reasons. Unlike previous years, we'll go in with conditions attached, with non-negotiable home dates as well, and I don't know how we'll be able to fit all the games around them.

I hope the list won't go to FIFA to draw lots, as then it's simply (un)lucky dip.
    Last edited by mypost; 03/01/2008 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    are u sure givens did it for the 06 group. As far as I know Fran Rooney and a few others went in and Kerr sat outside on purpose but all decisions had to go through Kerr
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    2 weeks to go to the meeting now, and it looks as though Don Givens will have to negotiate the games again for us, like he did for the '06 WC group.

Tbh, I find it hard to fit in where we can play a 5th away game, given that 4 of them in both Septembers are already allocated. I'm sure an extra trip in June won't go down well with anyone here, given player fatigue and heat reasons. Unlike previous years, we'll go in with conditions attached, with non-negotiable home dates as well, and I don't know how we'll be able to fit all the games around them.

I hope the list won't go to FIFA to draw lots, as then it's simply (un)lucky dip.
    As I said before our 5 away dates have basically the 2 Septembers and the June which is six dates and possibly one other date. So that is 5 out of a possible 7
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Givens negotiated for us, as apparantly he is popular in Switzerland. Kerr was briefed on what he was offered.

March and October are "set" home dates, while June and September are "set" away dates. That would allocate 9 fixtures. But certain countries won't play ball, so it won't turn out like that. There is an option of playing in November, but very few countries are willing to play then. This list could see lots drawn.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    whats the exact date for this fixture arrangement?
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    16th January.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Givens negotiated for us, as apparantly he is popular in Switzerland. Kerr was briefed on what he was offered.
    From http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...le-183085.html:
    Instead, he [Kerr] waited in another room in the hotel while FAI Chief Executive Fran Rooney, Honorary Treasurer John Delaney and U-21 manager, Don Givens, formed the Irish delegation. The meeting was chaired by FAI President, Milo Corcoran.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast