Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Reid

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    WC winning resolve brings/requires/acquires sheer good fortune.

Reid is a class midfielder, the key to him is his energy levels alright but also he is an intelligent footballer with the ball, and always always shows for the ball when the defence have it. He is that outlet that links the defenders to the midfield, and is not afraid to demand the ball. Compare that to our current midfield maestro in glenn whelan and you can see the huge difference reid makes in this team. Although its a long time ago now, montenegro away he was our best player in my opinion, he kept showing for the ball, holding onto possession and rarely lost the ball and most importantly very little hoof football. I cant remember a game away from home where we had so much possession and looked so comfortable. Yet we never looked like winning as we never went for it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    .... Although its a long time ago now, montenegro away he was our best player in my opinion, he kept showing for the ball, holding onto possession and rarely lost the ball and most importantly very little hoof football. I cant remember a game away from home where we had so much possession and looked so comfortable. Yet we never looked like winning as we never went for it.
    I thought Reid played very well that night, certainly baring in mind the constraints of the game plan that night. We retained possession well enough and used the ball with a modicom of purpose for once.

I can remember thinking we'd actually witnessed the green shoots of a properly functioning midfield that night and Reid has been a big loss to us.

We had a presence and intelligence in our midfield play that Reid was primarly responsible for.

We'd a couple of chance as well - McGeady was through, albeit an acute angle, Keane made the keeper work in the 2nd half and we had a huge peno claim overlooked.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Remember the first half away to Norway? We started badly but after about ten minutes we dominated a midfield in a way I haven't seen for ages. We defended very high up the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I always remember Reid pushing up when Norway had the ball to put pressure on one of their defenders. Gibson, Whelan and Andrews wouldn't dare do that and disrupt Trap's system. Reid is crucial to us. Much more important than Stephen Ireland would be imo because Reid offers us the ability to dominate games.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 07/09/2009 at 2:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    According to Paul Lennon in the star today - Reid will not be consider for the Italy game - i hope he is wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc View Post
    According to Paul Lennon in the star today - Reid will not be consider for the Italy game - i hope he is wrong
    same in the examiner: http://www.examiner.ie/sport/world-c...ni-100603.html
    Sadly, an injury much earlier in Trapattoni’s reign has already eliminated Steven Reid from the final two games of Ireland’s World Cup qualification bid, with the manager yesterday confirming that the Blackburn Rovers midfielder – who is slowly returning to fitness after missing most of last season following knee surgery – has not yet made sufficient progress to be considered for selection for the back-to-back games next month against Italy and Montenegro in Croke Park.

"It is impossible," said Trapattoni. "In six months he doesn’t play apart from 30 minutes in a friendly. He doesn’t play for his club and it is a serious injury. So at the moment there isn’t the possibility he can play for us."
    and in the Times: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...254207647.html
    He added he has pretty much given up hope of Steven Reid making the sort of rapid return to fitness that would be required for him to feature against Italy.

“Steven hasn’t played for six months, only 30 minutes in a friendly or the Carling Cup. I have always said that if players haven’t played 90 minutes in one, two, three, four games then I have to look elsewhere because they are injured. . . .
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    could have him back for the play off's if we get them.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Surely our luck was out when Steven Reid got injured last year?

I think there are just as many entries in the "bad luck" column as there are in the "good luck" column to be honest.

2 OG's for Italy on Saturday. As someone else said, is that WC winning resolve or sheer good fortune?
    In the end it's the resolve that gets you through.
    It's hard to objective about things like fortune or luck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It doesn't matter anymore whether he plays against Italy or not after last nights results. All that matters now is that he is wrapped in cotton wool until the play offs, hopefully by then he'll be nearing full fitness and and getting some game time for Blackburn. If we could get 70 minutes out of him in both play off matches that would be as much as we could hope for. He could make ALL the difference in the play offs. We'll actually have a midfield when it matters most...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    “Steven hasn’t played for six months, only 30 minutes in a friendly or the Carling Cup. I have always said that if players haven’t played 90 minutes in one, two, three, four games then I have to look elsewhere because they are injured. . . .

He'll have played a few games for Blackburn before the Italy game hopefully.

We'll probably need 2 points from the 2 games btw. Don't be taking a win against Montenegro for granted.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I agree. If we lose or even draw the Italy game I'll be sweating bricks for the next 4 days.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Reid is a slow starter though when he comes back from extended periods out. He'll need half a dozen consectutive games at the very least.... (that's not to say that a half match fit Reid wouldn;t improve our squad. More about meeting our expectations of him)
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Mid-November (if we have any games then) could be realistic I'd say. I think he'll need to have at lesat 3 or 4 full games under his belt at his club.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    There is an amount of hope that he could be match fit in time for the play offs in mid Nov.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Yeah Id go along with the thought of having him fit for the playoffs is the important thing after last nights result, Im confident with the lads we have there at moment we will get the 2 points we need
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    I was reading an ancient Chinese military document, and I couldn't help but make an association with how our midfield is following Trap's orders to the letter (how obsessed am I?): "Rigid applications of military theory will only result in defeat on the battlefield."

I think Steven Reid is the only midfielder we've got currently who knows when to adhere to Trap's tactics, and when to step outside them. He's the only one up for selection with the maturity, match intelligence, and personality to step outside his instructions when necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I think Steven Reid is the only midfielder we've got currently who knows when to adhere to Trap's tactics, and when to step outside them. He's the only one up for selection with the maturity, match intelligence, and personality to step outside his instructions when necessary.
    hes also been playing international football since 2001 and has the experience etc that goes with that. our current ctre mid options have been playing only a fraction of that and will learn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    ya reid is defo the best we have right now. but id like to see whelan take it on a bit more. hes aggressive, nice passer and a good shot, id like to see him stick to the plan but influence the game a bit more. i think he has the capabilities to do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    weekend team news from Blackburn: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...ague-team-news
    Steven Reid is still struggling with an ankle problem.
    http://www.eatsleepsport.com/blackbu...ma-944680.html
    Reid is still having treatment on an ankle problem.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    wants to be involved in Italy game:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...563536,00.html

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast