Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland 0-0 Germany- Post game thread

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Ireland 0-0 Germany- Post game thread

Andy Reid was nothing short of brilliant tonight. Controlled the entire field of play, everything we had went through him. Why didn't he play against Slovakia again?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Stan wanted to try someone with less experience and ability.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Andy Reid was nothing short of brilliant tonight. Controlled the entire field of play, everything we had went through him. Why didn't he play against Slovakia again?
    Like watching Liam Brady in his prime. Brilliant performance from Reid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Keogh instead of McGeady

Stans a tool and should be booted out - I hope Keogh goes on to be a great player but as me ould fella would say - "he could pass water or beat eggs".

When McGeady came on he was great - should have been on from the start!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    SligoBhoy67 - McGeady is 10 times the player Keogh will ever be HOWEVER I know for a fact Aiden himself was disgusted the way the last two internationals went and knew himself he didn't really deserve a start. To be honest Aiden was probably best used from the bench tonight anyway but was used too late. Should have had your cloggers like Kilbane and Keogh on for an hour and then got McGeady and Long on sharpish on the hour mark for those two.
    "Everyone, Republican or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small, no one is too old or too young to do something

-- Bobby Sands

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Like watching Liam Brady in his prime. Brilliant performance from Reid.
    Great player but can't cover enough ground over 90 minutes for a central midfielder and that's why he's playing at Charlton and that's why his internaitonal manager doesn't trust him away from home.
    "Everyone, Republican or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small, no one is too old or too young to do something

-- Bobby Sands

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McGeady10 View Post
    SligoBhoy67 - McGeady is 10 times the player Keogh will ever be HOWEVER I know for a fact Aiden himself was disgusted the way the last two internationals went and knew himself he didn't really deserve a start. To be honest Aiden was probably best used from the bench tonight anyway but was used too late. Should have had your cloggers like Kilbane and Keogh on for an hour and then got McGeady and Long on sharpish on the hour mark for those two.

Maybe bringing him on was the best course of action but 10 minutes was a joke! McGeady tore them a new whole going down the right.

P.S. not a mention about it from that tosser Whelan either altough he was quick to critises him for every other mistake in the other two games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Exactly my thoughts - McGeady should have been one much much earlier. Keogh played well but he was knacked for the last twenty minutes he was on the pitch. Andy Reid kept sending him down the right hand side of the pitch and he just couldn't beat the German left back for pace. In fairness he's a striker not a winger but McGeady played crap the last few games for Ireland so he didn't deserve to start. Had Carr been fit maybe Finnan could have played right wing.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Exactly my thoughts - McGeady should have been one much much earlier. Keogh played well but he was knacked for the last twenty minutes he was on the pitch. Andy Reid kept sending him down the right hand side of the pitch and he just couldn't beat the German left back for pace. In fairness he's a striker not a winger but McGeady played crap the last few games for Ireland so he didn't deserve to start. Had Carr been fit maybe Finnan could have played right wing.
    Agree. Aiden didn't deserve to start but should have been on earlier and did well when he came on.

-- Bobby Sands

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    well he certainly made amends in this game was the best player on the park by far for the last ten minutes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Given 6 - didn't have too much work on the night though he made one good reaction save in the first half

Kelly 4 - looked completely lost. It was a good thing the Germans didn't have a decent right winger out there

O'Brien 5 - I squirmed every time he came near the ball. He was solid enough but not really tested at all

Dunne 7 - saved our bacon a few times, looked good with strong convincing challenges all night

Finnan 7 - looked brilliant all night. great header off the line to save the game early on

Kilbane 6 - didn't do much but didn't mess up either. a couple of good crosses, maybe he's worth keeping around for the world cup campaign after all

Reid 10 - absolutely unreal. he looked knackered by the end but he played the best game of any player i've seen for ireland since one Roy Keane left town.

Carsley 6 - a couple of good tackles, kept things in check and allowed Reid to be creative. he should never, ever try to pass the ball farther than five yards though

Keogh 5 - started well but didn't have the fitness needed. not much of anything creative down the wing, which is something we really needed. what i woud have given to have duff fit for the match

keane 4 - i love robbie but he wouldn't have scored in a brothel tonight. how many times did he have an easy chance but found some way to mess it up?

doyle 6 - ran hard all night and used his head to set up loads of chances.

long 6 - did well and caused the germans problems at the back
    mcgeady 6 - wasn't on that long but managed one good cross into the box
    murphy - not on long enough to rate but he looked big and tall, maybe we could have used him earlier as most of our chances in the end came off the long ball

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Mostly agree.

Although Reid was good I think the only reason he seemed so earth shattering is that we have had a lack of a good midfielder for so long. IF he can keep fit for the next 18 months he could be vital alongside his namesake.

I'd swap Robbie and Doyle's scores. Doyle did nothing and what he did was trash. Robbie tried all night as always.

One thought about this campaign, has there been a single game when we got a better result than we deserved?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    One thought about this campaign, has there been a single game when we got a better result than we deserved?
    cast your mind back to the San Marino game!
    Life isn't all beer and football...some of us haven't touched a football in months

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    reids passing was great tonite but it always is. thought o brien had a good game. thought the match wasnt that great to watch. but that was maybe cause there was nothin really at stake.we have some good players but is staunton the man to get the best out of them?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligobhoy67 View Post
    well he certainly made amends in this game was the best player on the park by far for the last ten minutes
    Sweet jesus, the more rubbish like this I hear the more I want to start supporting Stan. If he had started with McGeady everyone would have said 'You see he doesnt know what he's doing.....' McGeady is at best an OK player but has never played well for Ireland. When he came on he was entusiastic but with little end result.

It's a bit like the people chanting 'you dont know what you'r doing when Long came on for Doyle.' Of course Long was far more dangerous than Doyle

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie View Post
    cast your mind back to the San Marino game!
    In reality we deserved to win, OK in the end it was a last minute goal but we were the better team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I watched the game on German TV and the commentator kept quite most of the time when an Irish player had the ball, presumably because he didn't know them well enough to recognise them from the upper echelons of Croker Anyway, there were 3 or 4 passes in a row from Reid out to the right wing that were simply amazing. The game was OK and we had a few close attempts but for me Reid's passing was the standout feature of the game. I'd really love to see him and the other Reid get a run of games together in CMF for Ireland and hope that Duff can regain his old form.
    I thought Kelly improved immensly on his last two games. When I saw that J. O'Brien was starting at CB alarm bells rang but he did fine. However he wasn't really tested to a great extent and Dunne mopped up a lot of dangerous balls into the box. All in all I would say Ireland did a decent job of containing a good German side missing a few key players but didn't turn the screw enough to be clear winners, which should have been expected from the home team desperate for 3 points. A draw was probaly a fair result, which is not bad against one of the best teams in Europe/The World. I get the feeling this is the type of game where S. Ireland might have made a difference, even from the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    Sweet jesus, the more rubbish like this I hear the more I want to start supporting Stan. If he had started with McGeady everyone would have said 'You see he doesnt know what he's doing.....' McGeady is at best an OK player but has never played well for Ireland. When he came on he was entusiastic but with little end result.

It's a bit like the people chanting 'you dont know what you'r doing when Long came on for Doyle.' Of course Long was far more dangerous than Doyle

Well said cavanfan. But think you're wasting your time arguing it here. Just look at the usernames involved in the pro mcgeady conversation on this thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Job done for the Germans. They went through the motions in the second half knowing that a draw was all they needed.

We didn't have the urgency required to win the game - Robbie Keane had a great chance to score but other than that we didn't have that many scoring chances. Considering Joey O'Brien was making his competitive debut tonight out of position I thought he did very well. Reid gave a good account of himself tonight whilst the rest of the team did the minimal that was expected of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Staunton's in a no win situation. If he went with McGeady from the start he would have been attacked for not trying something new. He didn't have much other option on the right side - Liam Miller maybe, but I think he had a knock heading into the match. O'Shea and McShane were both out so Finnan had to stay at the back.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast